Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

NVDA Not Working with the GMAIL Account Creation Page #2587

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Aug 7, 2012 · 15 comments
Closed

NVDA Not Working with the GMAIL Account Creation Page #2587

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Aug 7, 2012 · 15 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by waldorfpc on 2012-08-07 12:44
Hello:

I am writing to report to you that the current version of NVDA is not working compatibly with the new layout of the page that facilitates creating a new GMail account. I know that it is an NVDA problem because I tested it with JAWS, and it worked fine.

The problem I see is that Google has chosen to use some type of list box or menu if you will. One list box is used wen choosing a month for filling out the birthday portion, and another list box is used when choosing the gender.

If you want to see what I mean, feel free to go to gmail.com and choose the link that allows a new account to be created.

Thanks so much for all of your hard work maintaining this wonderful screen reader.

Warm regards,
Reina Grosvalet

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2012-08-07 22:57
Please be more specific. Explain what you tried to do, what happened and what you expected to happen instead. Also, what browser were you using?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by waldorfpc on 2012-08-08 03:15
I was trying to create an gmail account for a friend of mine. I was able to fill in all of the details except I could not select the Month in which she was born from the list, nor could I select her gender. If you take a look at the page, you will see what I mean.

I have tested this problem out in both Firefox and IE9. I did not have success with either browser. When I used JAWS to test things out, JAWS worked with it nicely. I only have a demo for 508 compliance testing purposes along with other screen reader demos.

I hope that these details are enough. If you need anything, feel free to get in touch.

Warm regards,
Reina Grosvalet
Changes:
Changed title from "NVDA is Not Working with the GMAIL Account Creation Page" to "NVDA Not Working with the GMAIL Account Creation Page"

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by jteh on 2012-08-08 05:23
I can't reproduce this. We really need exact steps and results. Selecting an item from those lists worked as expected for me in Firefox 17pre.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by waldorfpc on 2012-09-08 17:57
Hello there:

I am sorry it has taken me a long time to get back to this ticket. I have been busy with my new job and all. Anyhow, I will do the best that I can to reproduce the steps I took exactly.

1. I opened a fresh browser window in IE9.
  2. I go to www.gmail.com.
  3. Then I go to the "Create an account" page at https://accounts.google.com/SignUp?service=mail&continue=https%3A%2F%2Fmail.google.com%2Fmail%2F&ltmpl=default&hl=en
  4. I am able to fill in all the fields, except I cannot select the month in which I was born or my gender. These are what I have been complaining about.
  5. I put my cursor on the list box that says "Month" by using my arrow keys.
  6. I hold down the Alt key and press the down arrow key to bring up the menu list.
  7. I press the down arrow until I get to the month that I want to select, and then I press enter on it. But when I press the enter key on the month that I want to select, nothing happens. The month is not selected. Rather, the menu just sits there. The same happens for when I want to try and choose my gender.

I obtained a JAWS demo, and I was able to go through these steps just fine. So this is not an accessibility problem. It is just there is no support for NVDA to complete this process in IE9. I have Firefox 14 installed on my computer, and I also had some trouble with this process when trying to use that browser.

I tried to look for Firefox 17PRE, but I could not find a download. I saw some websites talking about it; however, that was all I managed to find.

I look forward to hearing your input on this matter.

Warm regards,
Reina Grosvalet

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by elliott94 (in reply to comment 4) on 2012-09-09 06:32
Replying to waldorfpc:

1. I put my cursor on the list box that says "Month" by using my arrow keys.
  2. I hold down the Alt key and press the down arrow key to bring up the menu list.
  3. I press the down arrow until I get to the month that I want to select, and then I press enter on it. But when I press the enter key on the month that I want to select, nothing happens. The month is not selected. Rather, the menu just sits there. The same happens for when I want to try and choose my gender.

Instead of this approach, what happens if you press enter on the combo box, and then simply arrow down the list instead of pressing Alt-down first? This works fine for me when doing it this way, although, I didn't test the method that you used.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 6 by Brendon22 on 2012-09-09 06:48
Hi,
I've had the same problem doing the same method on The Facebook Website. The Combow Boxes will just not do anything this way.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 7 by waldorfpc on 2012-09-09 12:34
Hello Brendon22):

Before you deem this an NVDA issue, I encourage you to download demos of other screen readers and test them on the Facebook page. I say this because Facebook does not seem to care a whole lot about accessibility, and they are always changing their site. With that said, It may be a Facebook problem and not an NVDA one. When I use Facebook, I seldom use the regular site. I access Facebook by going to m.facebook.com (This is their mobile site, and it is accessible and can do many of the things the regular site does.) I do not have problems using Facebook this way.

If after you find this is an NVDA issue (You will know this if other screen readers will accomplish what you want to do.), you can come back and write all of the steps you are taking and provide intricate details about the outcomes that occur after the steps you have taken.

I hope I have helped.

Reina Grosvalet

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 8 by waldorfpc on 2012-09-09 12:51
Hello:

When I pressed enter on that list, nothing happened. This is why I chose the alt+down arrow method.

Regular combo boxes do work fine with NVDA and IE9 as well as in Firefox. What I mean are combo boxes like the example I will provide below.

bananas Apples Figs Peaches Pears

Of course, this combo box is written in standard HTML. When other code is added, it may influence how well the combo box works.

The list on the GMail account creation page seems to work fine with JAWS, hence the reason I brought it to your attention as an NVDA issue. If after I tested it against other screen readers to find that the result was exactly the same, then I would have deemed it to be a 508 compliance/accessibility issue and would have contacted Google.

Thank you so much for the time and attention that you have given to this issue.

Reina Grosvalet

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 9 by Brendon22 on 2012-09-22 22:52
Hello Reina Grosvalet it's Brendon22 Here,

Sorry it's taken a while to reply to you.

I totally agree with you about Facebook. But I have tryed this with other screen readers and it works.
Here is what I'm doing!

1. Open the messages link found on the main m.facebook.com page.
  2. Make shore that you have a old message that you want to remove.
  3. Go to the combo box wich has actions for what you want to do with the message, Note: You must be inside the message or the combo box will not be there.
  4. Up and down aro through the combo box until you get to remove press enter, NVDA doesn't do anything at all when it should take you out of brows mode.

I hope you understand,

:) Thanks once again for your nice reply

Kind Regards,

Brendon22

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 10 by Brendon22 on 2014-06-15 02:45
Hello,

This is still the case with NVDA and IE 11. Just tested.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 11 by briang1 on 2014-06-15 14:03
I've seen comments about this page, and others on google and I seem to recall it was reported to google to fix it.
Anyone got an update, their usual fix is to offer an alternative.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 13 by mdcurran on 2014-12-09 02:25
It definitely is broken in IE 11 with NVDA. that list is not at all standard, and also seems to work very differently to the one in Firefox.
Technicl:
to me it seems like there is a div within each list item containing the text. But these divs can not be activated or focused. Neither can you even tab to the list itself. It does cause a tab stop, but neither NVDA or Narrator pick up any focus event for it. I'll try and follow up with Google

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 14 by jteh on 2014-12-09 02:32
It's probably aria-activedescendant, which is broken in IE 11 (see ticket:4667#comment:1). Test returning True always for shouldAllowIAccessibleFocusEvent.

@derekriemer
Copy link
Collaborator

added blocked.

@derekriemer
Copy link
Collaborator

oops, removing blocked and closing as fixed.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

2 participants