Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Allow installed synthesizers to be selected from the Synth Settings Ring #2590

Open
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Aug 8, 2012 · 5 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by elliott94 on 2012-08-08 18:17
The Synth Settings Ring currently allows several options such as voice pitch and rate to be ajusted for the current synthesizer that's being used.

To expand on the current implimentation, an extra setting could be added which would allow the user to scroll through the list of synthesizers that are currently installed, and allow them to switch to one acordingly.

@LeonarddeR
Copy link
Collaborator

@jcsteh: Would you think this makes sense if #4877 is there and language switching between synthesizers is supported?

@jcsteh
Copy link
Contributor

jcsteh commented Jul 18, 2017

In case of auto synth switching, I'd think that'd reduce the need for this even further. What's the use case for this?

@bhavyashah
Copy link

bhavyashah commented Jun 23, 2020

@elliott94 This is a gentle request to respond to #2590 (comment).

@elliott94
Copy link

Happy for this to be closed. :)

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

We don't have auto synth switching yet, so this request is still valid. Here are some use cases that I could think of:

• You read a text in a certain language and a certain synthesizer can pronounce the words much better, so you want to switch that on the fly
  • In some applications you would like to use a synthesizer which recognizes languages automatically in a more reliable way for certain tasks, so you change the setting on the fly.

This feature assumes that the settings of the synthesizer can be adjusted and they will not be inherited to other synthesizers. This means if I set the speed for eSpeak to 80, when I choose onecore from synth settings ring, the specific settings for onecore should apply (i.e. different speed etc.).

In general, at least in my view, automatic switch synth would be a very good solution. The question is weather NVDA can provide a heuristic to assess which synthesizer is most suitable to pronounce a certain language. I guess it is very hard to implement such a heuristic for all synthesizers out there. So a manual solution might be worth to consider here.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

6 participants