Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Unable to tick answers to questions in a Word document given to me by an agency #2614

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Aug 21, 2012 · 13 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by Brendon22 on 2012-08-21 23:43
Hello,
I was given a word document with some tables in it by an agency. But NVDA will just say blank. I have confirmed with a sited person that there are tables in this document. I atach this document for you to look at please.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

nvaccessAuto commented Aug 21, 2012

Attachment Job Seeker Consent Form.doc added by Brendon22 on 2012-08-21 23:52
Description:
Table file.
Update:
File added from Trac

Job Seeker Consent Form.zip

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by briang1 on 2012-08-22 08:41
I don't think its the tables. its an active document that expects you to tick boxes etc, and as such seems to be unreadable. Certainly the only way to actually get at the text is to load it into jarte word processor, at which point of course the portected areas are no longetr protected and the bits to tick do not work any more of course.
If you want my Jarte converted version, email me directly.
I'm almost certain a ticket already exists for this problem with Word.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by briang1 on 2012-08-22 09:12
If you use flat mode etc, you can hear some of the text, but if you think you will use the mouse move you get the error below. OK this is an old version of word, but the problem is essentially the same in newer ones.
IO - inputCore.InputManager.executeGesture (09:57:15):
Input: kb(desktop):NVDA+numpadDivide
ERROR - eventHandler.executeEvent (09:57:15):
error executing event: mouseMove on <NVDAObjects.Dynamic_IAccessibleWordDocumentWindowNVDAObject object at 0x03F7F5F0> with extra args of {'y': 463, 'x': 757}
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "eventHandler.pyc", line 136, in executeEvent
File "eventHandler.pyc", line 84, in init
File "eventHandler.pyc", line 91, in next
File "NVDAObjects__init__.pyc", line 773, in event_mouseMove
File "baseObject.pyc", line 21, in get
File "NVDAObjects\window\winword.pyc", line 291, in get_text
File "core.pyc", line 40, in new__getattr
_
File "comtypes\client\lazybind.pyc", line 149, in getattr
File "comtypes\automation.pyc", line 664, in _invoke
COMError: (-2147352567, 'Exception occurred.', (u'This method or property is not available because the object refers to a protected area of the document.', u'Microsoft Word', u'C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\1033\wdmain10.chm', 37373, None))

Certainly you can read the current screen in word with this file using the flat review OK.

When converted by Jarte the file shrinks by nearly 2 thirds, so suspect a lot of it is graphical as well. Wordpad can also be used to see the file but some lines seem to get repeated.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by jhomme on 2012-08-22 11:18
Hi,
This is a Word form. It looks like it's protected. You should be able to fill it out with a 40 minute demo of JAWS.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by Brendon22 on 2012-08-22 12:13
Hello Jhomme,
Thanks for the tip. But JAWS will not read out any text ither in this document and will just read out tables. But thanks again :)

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by briang1 on 2012-08-22 15:50
What I also wonder is if they have maybe got some pictures of words in part of the document that none of us can see. I've come across this clueless way of doing documents in the past.
Either way, I think you should tell the people about the issue, they will probably send it in text if you ask them.
I meant to also say, is this the same issue as my old (Ticket #829)?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 6 by Brendon22 on 2012-08-22 21:59
Hello,
Yes that has been done. I no that it has tick boxes for you to tick with a pen. But my point was that NVDA wasn't reading anything out to me at all. There for I couldn't even work out what it could have been. If I didn't no what that document was. Of corss I new what that document was! But if I didn't no I couldn't of found out inless I had a sited person to tell me what it was.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 8 by Brendon22 on 2012-08-31 00:30
Hello,

I came across again unable to read another document with NVDA. Given to me by the government. But NVDA this time gave me an error. Here is the error that NVDA gave to me:
INFO - core.main (10:14:52):
NVDA initialized
WARNING - stdout (10:15:05):
stringCode 00000000, input method name None
WARNING - stdout (10:15:05):
stringCode 00000409, input method name US
WARNING - stdout (10:15:15):
WARNING - stdout (10:15:15):
WARNING - stdout (10:15:21):
WARNING - stdout (10:15:21):
ERROR - scriptHandler.executeScript (10:15:41):
error executing script: <bound method Dynamic_IAccessibleWordDocumentWindowNVDAObject.script_caret_moveByLine of <NVDAObjects.Dynamic_IAccessibleWordDocumentWindowNVDAObject object at 0x053DD8D0>> with gesture u'up arrow'
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "scriptHandler.pyc", line 165, in executeScript
File "editableText.pyc", line 101, in script_caret_moveByLine
File "editableText.pyc", line 98, in _caretMovementScriptHelper
File "editableText.pyc", line 84, in _caretScriptPostMovedHelper
File "NVDAObjects\window\winword.pyc", line 237, in expand
File "NVDAObjects\window\winword.pyc", line 139, in _expandToLineAtCaret
File "comtypes\client\lazybind.pyc", line 163, in caller
File "comtypes\automation.pyc", line 664, in _invoke
COMError: (-2146822463, None, (u'Object has been deleted.', u'Microsoft Word', u'wdmain11.chm', 25305, None))

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 9 by Brendon22 on 2014-06-15 02:28
Hello,

Since office support is being worked on at the moment, can this issue please be looked into? Thanks. This would be very much appreciated. Keep up the great work!

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 11 by mdcurran on 2014-06-17 11:16
I think this document might just be simply designed badly for accessibility. I see one or more tables with lots of checkboxes everywhere. Even with Jaws I still can't make much sense of it, though Jaws does seem to pick up a few more labels than NVDA. But at the end of the day, there is only so much any screen reader can do. A lot of it does come down to the way the document is designed.
Of course if you want to file a much more specific ticket with details of one particular bug or enhancement then you are most welcome to. But for now closing this as can't fix.
Changes:
Added labels: cantfix
State: closed

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 12 by Brendon22 on 2014-06-23 20:53
Hi,
I agree with this comment below:

I don't think its the tables. its an active document that expects you to tick boxes etc, and as such seems to be unreadable. Certainly the only way to actually get at the text is to load it into jarte word processor, at which point of course the portected areas are no longetr protected and the bits to tick do not work any more of course. If you want my Jarte converted version, email me directly.
I'm almost certain a ticket already exists for this problem with Word. I agree with this, so if I needed to read this text with NVDA then, how would I do it? I wasn't able to access the checkboxes as well and how am I able to tick the answers to these questions? I think this needs more looking into myself. Please advise? If this can't be fixed, I can break down this ticket if you would like me to. Good luck.

Changes:
Changed title from "Unable to read tables in a Word document given to me by an agency" to "Unable to tick answers to questions in a Word document given to me by an agency"
Removed labels: cantfix
State: reopened

@bhavyashah
Copy link

@michaelDCurran According to #2614 (comment), should this ticket be closed as a cantfix? @ehollig

@ehollig
Copy link
Collaborator

ehollig commented Jul 26, 2018

Closing as cantfix as stated above by @michaelDCurran

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

4 participants