Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

when typing in an address in firefox, the phrase selection removed gets spoken again and again #2623

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Aug 28, 2012 · 4 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by hyperactive on 2012-08-28 05:07
Hi.
When you start typing into the location bar on firefox 14.0.1, I keep hearing the phrase "selection removed". I guess this is the autocomplete function kicking in and messing things up.
Can this be fixed?
Cheers.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2012-08-28 05:44
I understand that this isn't particularly useful, but this is actually what's happening. When autocomplete happens, it selects the autocompleted text so that typing will remove it. There's not really a way for us to disable this without losing this functionality where it is useful; e.g. if you manually select text and then type to remove it.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by jteh on 2012-08-28 05:47
A work around is to disable address bar auto-fill in Firefox. You can do this by setting browser.urlbar.autoFill to false in about:config.

@bhavyashah
Copy link

It may be worth noting that NVDA now says 'selected instead' instead. Also, @jcsteh stated quite clearly that there is little to nothing that we can change to improve this situation without losing functionality. Time to close? @ehollig

@ehollig
Copy link
Collaborator

ehollig commented Aug 9, 2017

Unfortunately, as stated in #2623 (comment), there is little to nothing that we can change to improve this situation without losing functionality. There is a workaround, however, stated in #2623 (comment). Closing, but would be happy to reopen if someone would want to address this specific case.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

3 participants