Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

NVDA does not report the role of or allow quick navigation to definition lists inside virtual buffers #263

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jan 1, 2010 · 10 comments
Assignees
Milestone

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by vtsaran on 2009-01-04 08:30
NVDA does not seem to recognize definition lists

inside virtual buffers and subsequently does not allow to navigate through such lists using the "I" nav key.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by vtsaran on 2009-01-04 08:35
The easiest way to test this as follows:

1. Go to http://www.drupal.org.
  2. Enter any terms in the search field.
  3. The returned search results are stored in a definition list.

NVDA will ignore that list as if it was not there.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by jteh (in reply to comment 1) on 2009-01-04 09:24
Replying to vtsaran:

I assume you just mean that NVDA doesn't report that it is a definition list. The actual text from the list shows up just fine for me.

There are two separate (but related) issues here:

• NVDA doesn't report "definition list".
    • This is tricky because there's no specific role for definition lists in any other document domain except HTML as far as I am aware. We try to keep the concepts for web content and other documents consistent and unified.
    • Would reporting it as a list be acceptable?
  • NVDA's list and list item quick navigation keys don't consider a definition list to be a list.

Technical info:

• Firefox assigns dl, dt and dd elements an IAccessible2 role of paragraph.
    • This raises the question of how a definition list actually appears on screen. Do they look any different to just normal text? If not, one might argue that they shouldn't be treated as lists.
  • Their IAccessible role is "dl", "dt" and "dd" respectively. We should be able to use this to detect and find them.
    Changes:
    Changed title from "NVDA does not recognize definition lists inside virtual buffers" to "NVDA does not report the role of or allow quick navigation to definition lists inside virtual buffers"

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by vtsaran (in reply to comment 2) on 2009-01-06 23:25
Replying to jteh:

Replying to vtsaran:

I assume you just mean that NVDA doesn't report that it is a definition list. The actual text from the list shows up just fine for me.

Yes, apologies for confusing statement. :)

There are two separate (but related) issues here:

• NVDA doesn't report "definition list".
    • This is tricky because there's no specific role for definition lists in any other document domain except HTML as far as I am aware. We try to keep the concepts for web content and other documents consistent and unified.
    • Would reporting it as a list be acceptable?

In absence of any other alternative, yes. I find that these days definition lists are used as lists because of visual layout. Functionally, however, they should be lists of term/definition pairs.

• NVDA's list and list item quick navigation keys don't consider a definition list to be a list.

Both JAWS and Window-eyes consider definition lists to be just like regular lists; nav keys, therefore, act accordingly.

Technical info:

• Firefox assigns dl, dt and dd elements an IAccessible2 role of paragraph.
    • This raises the question of how a definition list actually appears on screen. Do they look any different to just normal text? If not, one might argue that they shouldn't be treated as lists.

With CSS you can make definition lists look anything you want. Without CSS, however, the definition is aligned to the right of its term. So I don't tink they are comparable to paragraphs.

• Their IAccessible role is "dl", "dt" and "dd" respectively. We should be able to use this to detect and find them.

If that's what it takes...

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by jteh on 2009-05-18 02:32
Changes:
Milestone changed from None to 0.6

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by jteh on 2009-06-05 07:18
Ack. This is a bit more complicated than anticipated. I can easily make definition lists report as lists, but due to inflexibility in our search algorithm, making quick navigation do the same is somewhat more complicated. We'll find a way eventually...

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 6 by MarcoZ on 2009-06-06 07:08
This is going to help a great deal when browsing phpBB3-based forums such as the phpBB community forum. phpBB3 uses definition lists in quite a few places.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 7 by jteh on 2009-06-23 06:14
Changes:
Milestone changed from 0.6 to 0.7

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 8 by mdcurran on 2009-12-02 06:40
mozbug:532338

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 9 by jteh on 2010-01-19 02:20
MozillaBug:532338 now implemented.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 11 by mdcurran on 2010-01-19 05:16
From my testing this already works fine in Internet Explorer.
Also from my testing, Firefox 3.7 nightly now has the above bug fixed and also works fine.

Changes:
State: closed

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

2 participants