Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

unable to access the NVDA maine menu when NVDA first starts #2638

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Sep 3, 2012 · 22 comments
Closed

unable to access the NVDA maine menu when NVDA first starts #2638

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Sep 3, 2012 · 22 comments
Labels

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by Brendon22 on 2012-09-03 09:23
Hello,
Today I was unable to quit NVDA on my systdem.
NVDA just would not shut down.
I got the errar to look in the NVDA log file.
And this is the error I got.

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "nvda.pyw", line 139, in
File "logHandler.pyc", line 319, in initialize
File "logHandler.pyc", line 199, in init
IOError: 22 invalid mode ('wt') or filename: 'c:\users\brendo~1\appdata\local\temp\nvda.log'

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by briang1 on 2012-09-03 09:47
I've seen funnies like this when nvda has become confused due, for example to it starting incorrectly. This is the situation where bits of nvda will not work for some reason. Usually doing the reboot will work, but you will need to wait for it to restart nvda as as you say, the old running version does not want to close.
You cannot write to a file which is kind of left open!
Incidentally, when you do a reboot or when the portable version is used, does the issue of the on the fly down arrow get resolved as in the last ticket?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by Brendon22 on 2012-09-09 05:34
Hello,

Today the problem with NVDA not shutting down on my systdem happen again. But I got an error this time. And after this error, NVDA would just not shut down! Here is the error:
INFO - core.main (15:09:29):
NVDA initialized
ERROR - eventHandler.executeEvent (15:11:53):
error executing event: gainFocus on <NVDAObjects.Dynamic_IAccessibleWordDocumentWindowNVDAObject object at 0x05BC70D0> with extra args of {}
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "eventHandler.pyc", line 136, in executeEvent
File "eventHandler.pyc", line 84, in init
File "eventHandler.pyc", line 91, in next
File "NVDAObjects__init__.pyc", line 811, in event_gainFocus
File "NVDAObjects__init__.pyc", line 755, in reportFocus
File "speech.pyc", line 328, in speakObject
File "NVDAObjects__init__.pyc", line 881, in makeTextInfo
File "NVDAObjects\window\winword.pyc", line 157, in init
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'range'
INFO - core.main (15:14:07):
Exiting
INFO - config.save (15:14:07):
Configuration saved
INFO - nvda (15:14:09):
NVDA exit

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by jteh on 2012-09-09 05:39
This last log actually shows that NVDA did exit. Perhaps this was the wrong log.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by Brendon22 on 2012-09-09 06:24
Hi,
I had to get the error out of nvda old.log.
So it might have seen the last time I shut down NVDA.
But when I got that error, NVDA doesn't shut down, and NvDA will not bring up the NVDA menu. NVDA will just say NVDA Menu and then return me to my desktop.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by jteh on 2012-09-09 06:25
Portable or installed?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 6 by Brendon22 on 2012-09-09 06:44
installed

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 7 by briang1 on 2012-09-09 08:14
From your description of the menu system not working then an inability, or sluggishness to exit with perhaps no falling tones, it sounds like another incarnation of a long standing issue that occurs when nvda is started and is somehow not initialised correctly. I see this sometimes at first start up but it appears totally random. although exiting can be long winded and often without tones, it does eventually reboot and usually works normally in my experience in xp. It is hard to see anything in a log however as nothing shows up except the inability to bring up the menu options and often exiting ends part way through the exit or maybe does not put that into the log at all, when it presumably ffalls over and the new version then terminates it forcibly. I'm not sure how that part works myself. I'm sure there is another ticket for this somewhere from a long time back.
My view is that its something Windows is doing, as you often get other software that starts at boot up misbehaving also. Juice comes to mind here.
Of course this is written in Python also.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 8 by jteh (in reply to comment 7) on 2012-09-09 08:23
Replying to briang1:

From your description of the menu system not working then an inability, or sluggishness to exit with perhaps no falling tones, it sounds like another incarnation of a long standing issue that occurs when nvda is started and is somehow not initialised correctly. ... I'm sure there is another ticket for this somewhere from a long time back.

That's #2384. It doesn't apply here because the reporter is using an installed copy (and I'm assuming an official build) on Windows 7.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 9 by Brendon22 on 2012-09-09 08:50
Hi,
I had to runn a snapshot on my systdem because I brought a new Braille Sence U2 erlyer this year. And to use it I needed to upgrade my version of NVDA to use it. I'm running NVDA Main Snapshot-5420.
On Windows 7 Home 64-Bit.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 10 by jteh on 2012-09-09 09:08
That still has uiAccess, as long as it's installed, not portable, so you shouldn't be seeing #2384. However, to clarify, can you access apps running as admin with this build?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 11 by Brendon22 on 2012-09-09 09:22
Hi,

Yes I can.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 12 by Brendon22 on 2013-06-07 13:21
Hello,
This isn't happening as much. But when I try and access the NVDA menu when NVDA first is loaded, the NVDA menu closes on me and the only way to get the menu back is to clos down NVDA and restart NVDA.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 13 by briang1 on 2013-06-07 13:48
Despite what Jamie has said, this is so similar to what I've seen in XP its suspicious!
Maybe there are in fact two reasons for the same issue.
One thing to try is to let the machine boot in untill all disc activity is settled down, then boot in nvda with the hotkey. In my experience that usually works.

There is a start up delayer program around, but I don't know how easy it would be to try it for this issue.

I found that Dropbox booting in almost always screwed up nvda when they were both booting at the same time!

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 14 by Brendon22 on 2013-06-09 02:16
Changes:
Changed title from "Was unable to quit NVDA on my systdem" to "Was nott able to quit NVDA on my system"

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 15 by Brendon22 on 2013-06-09 02:20
Hi Briang1,
Yes, that does normally fix the issue. But not always, but it has got better since I reported this ticket.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 16 by jteh (in reply to comment 12) on 2013-06-20 01:27
Replying to Brendon22:

But when I try and access the NVDA menu when NVDA first is loaded, the NVDA menu closes on me and the only way to get the menu back is to clos down NVDA and restart NVDA.

This is #2384 and should only happen if you aren't running a uiAccess copy of NVDA or it is portable instead of installed.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 17 by Brendon22 on 2013-06-22 12:06
Hello,
No, I have tested this with a full copy of NVDA latest snapshot, and this issue still happends.

1. Start NVDA.
  2. As soon as NVDA is started, try and access the NVDA menu, with NVDA Key and the letter N. Note: this doesn't matter if I am running in laptop or desktop mode, then I try and press the down errow key and NVDA throws me out of the menu and puts me back on the desktop.
  3. The only way to get the menu back to access NVDA is to restart and reload NVDA. Know error sound is given.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 18 by Brendon22 on 2013-06-22 12:09
Changes:
Changed title from "Was nott able to quit NVDA on my system" to "unable to access the NVDA maine menu when NVDA first starts"

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 19 by jteh (in reply to comment 17) on 2013-06-23 23:24
Replying to Brendon22:

No, I have tested this with a full copy of NVDA latest snapshot, and this issue still happends.

When you say full, I assume you mean installed. Also, are you still talking about Windows 7? uiAccess is supposed to give NVDA permission to become the foreground app whenever it chooses, so I have no idea why this would occur. A log file with level set to input/output would be good to check we're all on the same page.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 20 by Brendon22 on 2013-06-29 11:40
Hello,

Sorry. Yes I mean installed. Yes, Windows 7 64-Bit, is the system that this issue is happening on. I will attach another log file. Thank you.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Attachment My NVDA Log.txt added by Brendon22 on 2013-06-29 11:51
Description:
My NVDA Log (1).

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 21 by Brendon22 on 2014-06-15 02:19
This issue has been resolved. I am closing this ticket as fixed.
Changes:
State: closed

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Labels
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

1 participant