Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

NVDA reports the first character of the line with bullets or numbering twice instead of the bullets or numbering in Word 2007 and Outlook 2010 (Outlook 2010 not confirmed by me) #2649

Open
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Sep 6, 2012 · 15 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by Brendon22 on 2012-09-06 09:30
Hello,
When Bulleting a line of text with the default Bullets in Word 2010 Pro. The beginning letter that the Bullet is on NVDA speaks that letter twice. Not the Bullet?
Blocking #4649

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by Brendon22 on 2012-09-06 09:30
Changes:
Changed title from "NVDA reporting the beginning letter twice-Not the Bullet" to "NVDA reporting the beginning letter twice-Not the Bullet in Word 2010 Pro"

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by Brendon22 on 2012-09-17 04:35
Hello,
This problem is still happening with the changes made to the bullets.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by fatma.mehanna on 2013-01-04 16:29
any progress with this ticket?
there are different shapes for bullets, only the simple shape that is being reported.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by Brendon22 on 2013-03-31 00:25
Hello,
No, I don't see any progress with this ticket at all. This would be really nice if this was fixed.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by Brendon22 on 2013-06-07 13:15
Hello,
This is using the default Bullet in word. This would be nice if this was fixed.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 6 by Brendon22 on 2014-05-29 10:36
Hello,

As you are working on office support at the moment, this would be great if this was looked into please. Thank you.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 7 by blindbhavya on 2014-09-09 10:12
Changes:
Changed title from "NVDA reporting the beginning letter twice-Not the Bullet in Word 2010 Pro" to "NVDA reports the first character of the line with bullets or numbering twice instead of the bullets or numbering in Word 2007 and Outlook 2010 (Outlook 2010 not confirmed by me)"

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 8 by blindbhavya on 2014-09-09 10:18
Hi.
Let me attempt to explain this issue in a clearer manner in hope of receiving a fix by an NVDA code contributor.
Steps to reproduce
Open Microsoft Office Word (2007 here).
On the first line of this new empty document, type 1. space birds fly. Then press Enter and Word will automatically insert a 2.
Now press up arrow to return to the first line and press Home to go to the beginning of that line.
You will observe that NVDA reads the first two characters as b (because b is the first character of the line).
I hope I made some sense.
It really would be nice if this could be fixed.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 9 by jteh on 2014-09-09 10:23
We understand the problem as reported here and have confirmed it. Unfortunately, we haven't come up with a good way to fix this, as Word doesn't provide any programmatic way to distinguish between these two positions; both are just reported as the first real character (not the bullet).

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 10 by blindbhavya on 2014-09-09 15:49
Sad to hear that.
Thanks anyways for the reply.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 12 by vrdhn on 2015-09-23 08:54
Hi,
I've created a patch for support of this feature.
The patch compares window caret position to the selected range, speaks out the bullet type if they are distant.

The patch will never be able to handle the lists for which the option 'Adjust List indents >> Follow number with' has been set to None. I don't think anyone does that.

Currently the patch has a issue, that duplicate of speaking of first character is not suppressed. I've found that the first character of the list item has been spoken before calling event_caret. I'm trying to find the correct way to suppress this.

The git branch is : https://bitbucket.org/manish_agrawal/nvda/
and the branch is in_t2469

Regards
Vardhan

@bhavyashah
Copy link

@michaelDCurran Since you have been assigned this ticket, could you please review the almost 2-year-old code submission mentioned in #2649 (comment)?

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

@vrdhn, could you please raise a Pull request on Github? This makes code review and merging easier. @michaelDCurran have you had time to look into this patch linked above? Comments are appreciated. Thanks.

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

Just to inform, this is somehow solved when using UIA in MS Word. The bullet or number is reported when moving character by character. But when landing on the bullet, the character after the bulle is also reportd. For example following bullet:

1. Hello
    Now ehn putting the carret on H and pressing left arrow, NVDA says "1H". Note this is only working in Word 2016 or 365 with UIA enabled.

@bhavyashah
Copy link

Checking to see if there are any updates since the improvement noted in #2649 (comment). I should add that that improvement can only be seen when I set Word UIA to Always in Advanced Settings; at "Default (Where suitable)", this is not the case. Bullets and numbering is a very fundamental and prevalent part of documents, and I didn't have a great answer other than "this is a known issue" when a student brought it up recently.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

4 participants