Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

NVDA on IE: upload file (editable button ...) #2677

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Sep 19, 2012 · 9 comments
Closed

NVDA on IE: upload file (editable button ...) #2677

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Sep 19, 2012 · 9 comments
Labels
Abandoned requested reports or updates are missing since more than 1 year, author or users are not available. app/internet-explorer bug feature/browse-mode

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by surfer0627 on 2012-09-19 07:17
Hello NVDA developers,
I selected the option "Automatic focus mode for caret movement" before uploading files.

While moving caret to the upload file button, NVDA changed from brose mode to focus mode.

But if I pressed "b" to move to the button, it would be ok (on brose mode).

P.S.: In the brose mode, users could press "space" to open the upload dialog.

Please help to solve the case.
Thank you so much.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by surfer0627 on 2012-09-19 07:34
Hello NVDA developers,
I selected the option "Automatic focus mode for caret movement" before uploading files.

While moving caret to the upload file button, NVDA changed from brose mode to focus mode.

But if I pressed "b" to move to the button, it would be ok (on brose mode).

P.S.: In the brose mode, users could press "space" to open the upload dialog.

You may test the case at:
http://coscell.molerat.net/brl/bbp.php

or other upload-file page.

Please help to solve the case.
Thank you so much.

@ehollig
Copy link
Collaborator

ehollig commented Aug 13, 2017

This still occurs using IE 11.
Relevant code:
<input type=file accept=binary>
Ensure Automatic focus mode for caret movement check box is checked. CC @jcsteh @feerrenrut

@ehollig ehollig changed the title NVDA on IE8: upload file (editable button ...) NVDA on IE: upload file (editable button ...) Aug 13, 2017
@feerrenrut
Copy link
Contributor

I think I can reproduce this with IE Version: 11.540.15063.0 and NVDA version master-14289,6c85ce59 but I'm not 100% sure.
@ehollig could you please elaborate on the steps to reproduce and clarified what the actual vs expected behaviour was for this?

@ehollig
Copy link
Collaborator

ehollig commented Aug 14, 2017

Test case:

test.html.txt
Rename to *.html

STR

1. Ensure Automatic focus mode for caret movement is checked in Browse mode settings
  2. Open the attachment in IE 11
  3. Press down arrow

Expected Result

NVDA says "buttonBrowse…" in browse mode and the button is clickable

Actual Result

NVDA says "buttonBrowse…" in focus mode. Item is not clickable.

Update:
Just tried this file in Firefox and it is recognized as a button in browse mode.

@feerrenrut
Copy link
Contributor

When you say that the item is not clickable, do you mean its not reported as clickable, but you can press enter to press the button? If so, how did you try to "click" the button.

@ehollig
Copy link
Collaborator

ehollig commented Aug 15, 2017

I should have specified. When I meant clickable, I meant the ability to press enter and for the browse dialog to pop up.

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

@feerrenrut, any updates on this issue?

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

I can still reproduce this in IE11 with NVDA2018.4.1. I found out that NVDA reports the description for that button, something like "name of the file to be uploaded". This seems to be a read only edit field which however, is not reported by NVDA when arrowing in browse mode. Maybe that edit field in the background causes NVDA to switch to focus mode in IE. But I might be wrong.

@Adriani90 Adriani90 added the Abandoned requested reports or updates are missing since more than 1 year, author or users are not available. label Apr 5, 2023
@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

IE support has ended completely in 2022 and the browser is being removed automatically from machines that still have it after an Edge update in February 2023. I am closing this issue as abandoned, since I don't expect any further accessibility updates to IE or to IE mode in Edge. If you are having this issue in other browsers, please open a new issue with updated steps to reproduce and a minimal test case.

@Adriani90 Adriani90 closed this as not planned Won't fix, can't repro, duplicate, stale Apr 5, 2023
Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Labels
Abandoned requested reports or updates are missing since more than 1 year, author or users are not available. app/internet-explorer bug feature/browse-mode
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

4 participants