Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

NVDA and SAP #2682

Open
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Sep 20, 2012 · 8 comments
Open

NVDA and SAP #2682

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Sep 20, 2012 · 8 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by veigaw10 on 2012-09-20 17:22
Hello Guys,

First of all I would like to thank you all for this brilliant application.
We have a project here in our company to give an opportunity to a person who is blind(my apologies if I am not writing it in a polite way but English isn't my first language so it can be trick sometimes) however to make it possible we need to provide her the minimum condition to make it real. She is going to work as a 1 level financial analyst and she is going to be using a lot of application in daily basis.
Yesterday we tried NVDA in our environment with those applications and the majority of them worked pretty well but SAP. NVDA could not read what its inside SAP, is there any of getting around this issue? Has any person said you guys anything about it ever?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by briang1 on 2012-09-21 08:34
This one really depends on the SAP software's accessibility. I'm sure this has come up before. a quick look on their website seems not to pop up any kind of information about the access issue. It might be worth you contacting them for information as its paid for software and see what they say. nvda can only do its magic if the software supplies the correct access information, after all.
I did see ref to a free trial on their site, though, but I'm no expert on financial and data analasys methods myself!

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by jteh on 2012-09-24 04:16
Ideally, the accessibility of the SAP application itself should be improved, which will make it accessible with all screen readers that support accessibility standards. If this isn't possible, custom support for NVDA can be developed. However, because it is commercial software which is not free, this cannot be done at no cost. The NVDA developers involved would also need access to the software.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by jonesdk on 2012-10-25 19:30
Scripts can be written for the SAP GUI using the SAP GUI Scripting Object. Can you please see SAP OSS Note – 893585 and 740785. Please also see http://www.sapdesignguild.org/editions/edition9/gui_acc.asp#top

@josephsl
Copy link
Collaborator

josephsl commented Jan 5, 2019

Hi,

Out of curiosity, any updates on this?

Thanks.

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

Last year I have personally invited a friend of mine from SAP to NVDACon. But he said he would want to take part officially representing SAP and for that he needs an official invitation to comply with SAP's code of conduct. Unforntunately he hasn't got any official invitation. SAP has written a script for Jaws together with the german company Papenmeier. This script is only accessible for people who bought SAP before. So if your company has already bought SAP licenses the script can be freely downloaded in the SAP service market place. They would be ready to contribute to such an add-on for NVDA but they said that it should also be only downloadable on their market place like the jaws script. I have also forwarded details to NV Access last year but it seems there were no further discussions with the accessibility team from SAP. @Qchristensen do you have further information on this?

@Qchristensen
Copy link

I did at least reach out to SAP last year, but evidently, the discussion didn't go anywhere. I will follow this up again as we certainly get asked about this and it would be fantastic to have a solution for people.

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

SAP Gui 8.0 is finally there since January 2023, but no further relevant changes regarding accessibility for NVDA users. It is still working only with Jaws.

@OzancanKaratas
Copy link
Collaborator

I propose to close this issue. There's nothing NVDA developers can do.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

6 participants