Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Create snapshot branch built with svn espeak/liblouis #2696

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Oct 1, 2012 · 12 comments
Closed

Create snapshot branch built with svn espeak/liblouis #2696

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Oct 1, 2012 · 12 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by jteh on 2012-10-01 03:54
NVDA generally is (and should) be built with stable espeak and liblouis. However, it's useful for non-devs to be able to test upstream espeak/liblouis changes and should hopefully help to catch regressions sooner.

To do:

1. Create mainUnstableDeps branch.
  2. Update nvda_autobuild to handle per-branch deps directories and add mainUnstableDeps with its own deps dir.
  3. Create script to update espeak and liblouis from svn for mainUnstableDeps.
  4. Continuously merge espeakNext (and eventually liblouisNext) into mainUnstableDeps. Periodically merge main into mainUnstableDeps.
@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2012-11-22 06:35
I was just thinking about this and realised there's a problem I didn't consider before.

What if the mainUnstableDeps branch doesn't change but the dependencies (espeak or liblouis) get updated? We base our version numbers on the branch revno, so the script will assume it has nothing to do. Even if I tweak it to detect that liblouis and espeak were updated, users still won't know about the new update because it'll have the same version number, also causing confusion. I guess the only solution is to include the espeak and liblouis revno in the version (e.g. mainUnstableDeps-5614+espeak294+liblouis836), but that is really hard to integrate into nvda_autobuild. Ug.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by leonarddr on 2013-09-17 11:59
You might want to reconsider this, now the source control system has been changed to GIT. You could, for example, create git submodules which are clones of the corresponding svn repositories. For example this article gives info on how to accomplish such things.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by jteh on 2013-09-17 12:55
liblouis is already a Git submodule. With submodules, you still have to update the main repository each time you want to update the submodule to a new commit. So, having an automatically updating unstable deps branch is still pretty ugly.

We haven't moved to a submodule for eSpeak yet because eSpeak svn has often been out of sync with the actual source code released and it doesn't include any tags. Also, svn doesn't include the compiled phoneme data. Compiling it requires us to build espeakedit, which in turn would make us depend on the C++ wxWidgets. That's not a dependency I'm willing to introduce just for this.

@LeonarddeR
Copy link
Collaborator

LeonarddeR commented Jul 15, 2017

CC @feerrenrut @jcsteh:

It seems that it is the plan to move next to Espeak-NG master on a regular basis. Should we still consider this additional snapshots? Would people ever use them?

@dkager
Copy link
Collaborator

dkager commented Jul 15, 2017

In light of #6733 I would say that yes, people would use this. However, table changes in liblouis require some manual work. So I'm not sure about the maintenance burden.

@jcsteh
Copy link
Contributor

jcsteh commented Jul 17, 2017

I forgot about this issue. :) We decided to have NVDA next update to eSpeak master on a semi-regular (but not automated) basis. We could probably do the same for liblouis. People who wanted to test specific tables in liblouis master would need to file an issue to do this, but we'd only consider this if there were a commitment to test the table and fix any problems.

@dkager
Copy link
Collaborator

dkager commented Jul 17, 2017

Is this issue then resolved and ready to close, or do you first want to document the procedure to request a snapshot (AKA next)?

@jcsteh jcsteh removed their assignment Sep 5, 2017
@ehollig
Copy link
Collaborator

ehollig commented Oct 13, 2018

@LeonarddeR @jcsteh @dkager I do not believe a resolution was made for this issue from #2696 (comment)

@dkager
Copy link
Collaborator

dkager commented Oct 13, 2018

With liblouis we have to watch out for API changes that happen on master. While it is usually just opcode changes, e.g. when the big UEB update was going on, it could also be that the Python wrapper changes and breaks the snapshot builds.

So if the process remains manual then who does it and when?

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

Is this actually not working when pushing try builds? Actually the try builds could fetch unstable branches of eSpeak and Liblouis. Or am I wrong?

@feerrenrut
Copy link
Contributor

I think we can close this issue. There aren't any current plans to create automatic builds with the HEAD of espeak or liblouis repositories.

@josephsl
Copy link
Collaborator

josephsl commented May 2, 2020 via email

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

8 participants