Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Snapshots cause Skype to hang #2712

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Oct 13, 2012 · 13 comments
Closed

Snapshots cause Skype to hang #2712

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Oct 13, 2012 · 13 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by tspivey on 2012-10-13 00:32
STR:

1. Open skype. From the contact list, type a letter.
  2. Skype will hang. If this doesn't do it, from the contact list, shift tab.

I'm using Skype 5.10.0.116. This works fine under 2012.2.1.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2012-10-13 07:12
Changes:
Milestone changed from None to 2012.3

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by jteh on 2012-10-18 06:07
I can't reproduce with the same versions. Are you using a US keyboard layout or something else? Can anyone else reproduce this?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by surveyor (in reply to comment 2) on 2012-10-18 06:32
Replying to jteh:

I can't reproduce with the same versions. Are you using a US keyboard layout or something else? Can anyone else reproduce this?

Someone from Turkish NVDA community has already mentioned about this. He has reported that Skype freezes while using NVDA when focused edit areas under windows 8.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by jteh on 2012-10-18 07:13
Ah. The OS may be the key. I was testing with Win7.

Mick, can you please test this in Win8?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by mdcurran on 2012-10-20 02:58
Caused by 6284a4f. Seems that if we register for UIA tooltipOpened events, Skype will hang when the search field is typed into. As TooltipOpened event was only added for Windows 8, and this hang only happens on Windows 8 it does make it hard to solve. However, perhaps as we only added this for toast notifications, it may be possible to only register for that part of the subtree, if in deed toast notifications are underneath a common object.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 6 by jteh on 2012-10-20 22:29
Does Skype freeze in this situation if you use Narrator?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 7 by tspivey (in reply to comment 6) on 2012-10-21 16:37
Replying to jteh:

Does Skype freeze in this situation if you use Narrator?

It does. When I typed something into the contact list, I kept getting a waiting for application to respond message until I killed skype.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 8 by jteh on 2012-10-21 21:51
Imo, this should be reported as a bug in Skype. I don't think we can work around this properly.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 9 by jteh on 2012-10-23 02:40
I'll file a bug against Skype.
Changes:
Milestone changed from 2012.3 to None

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 10 by mdcurran on 2012-12-12 04:02
Seems that the bug still remains if using CUIAutomation8 and IUIAutomation2. Also, th automationEvent callback for the tooltip event in NVDA's process is not called when the crash happens. Surely though there must be some standard tooltip appearing, which Windows is then trying to fire the event. I doubt Skype itself has any UI Automation support. such as

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 11 by jteh on 2012-12-12 04:20
Some users have suggested disabling the tooltip event also fixes crashes in Chrome. I can't reproduce that crash, but I'm starting to wonder whether something problematic appears when typing in certain edit fields.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 12 by enes on 2013-02-18 15:53
hi,
i've filed a bug with skype
https://jira.skype.com/browse/SCW-4107
this still happens with the latest 6.2 version

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 13 by jteh on 2013-06-28 06:05
This is fixed in Windows 8.1 Preview, which suggests it'll also be fixed in the final version of Windows 8.1. Windows 8.1 is a free update, so there's little point in focusing on trying to hack around this.
Changes:
State: closed

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

1 participant