Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

NVDA will not read the Windows XP Security screen #2728

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Oct 18, 2012 · 5 comments
Closed

NVDA will not read the Windows XP Security screen #2728

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Oct 18, 2012 · 5 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by krussell on 2012-10-18 10:17
I've just installed NVDA on my Windows XP machine with JAWS as the default screen reader.

After installing NVDA, I went into the General option of Preferences and unchecked the Automatically start NVDA after I log on option.

However, when I shut down NVDA and go back to JAWS, I discovered that when I went into the Windows security screen, NVDA would speak as well.

I then went back into the General option of Preferences in NVDA and
unchecked the Use NVDA on the log on screen option.

However, when I go back to JAWS and try and use the Windows security
screen, it won't speak. In fact, everything stops talking until I hit the Escape key to come out of the Security screen.

The only way to fix this is to recheck the Use NVDA on the log on screen option and reboot the machine.

I wonder if NVDA is intercepting the video driver in some way. I do have adnin rights on the PC.

I uninstalled NVDA, rebooted the PC but accessing the security screen was still broken.

I ran the JAWS repair option from the JAWS installer and that fixed it.

I also use Window-Eyes and had to reinstall it as accessing the security screen was broken as well.

Is this a known issue.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2012-10-18 10:54
NVDA doesn't install any drivers or intercept any drivers in any way. When you uncheck the "Use NVDA on the Windows logon screen" option, it just configures NVDA not to start; it doesn't make any other changes. I'm not sure what else might cause this.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by briang1 on 2012-10-18 17:09
Well not seen this in Supernova if you were daft enough to let them both loose they both speak. I wonder could nvda in the log on screen be using the same synth? Its a bit of a confusing situation this one.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by krussell on 2012-10-18 17:38
Running JAWS and NVDA together in the Security screen was completely unintentional. No, different synth. In Jaws, Eloquence and in NVDA eSpeak. I'm new to NVDA and I hadn't spotted that the Use NVDA on Windows Logon Screen was still checked.

@bhavyashah
Copy link

CC @jcsteh @Brian1Gaff

@ehollig
Copy link
Collaborator

ehollig commented Aug 10, 2017

This is an interesting issue. However, we are unable to contact the original poster for more information. Closing, as XP specific issues are not being addressed anymore.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

4 participants