Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

In Windows 8, some programs such as Outlook, Skype and others crash while using NVDA for a while #2746

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Oct 25, 2012 · 14 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by nvdakor on 2012-10-25 22:59
When using Microsoft Outlook 2007 on either Windows 7 or Windows 8, after using it for a while, Outlook stops responding and the following is recorded in NvDA log:

DEBUGWARNING - NVDAObjects.window.ContentGenericClient._get_displayText (15:53:31):
appModule has no binding handle
IO - speech.speak (15:53:31):
Speaking - Microsoft Outlook (Not Responding)'

This occurs whenever Outlook is run and has been used for at least five minutes. Usually solved by restarting Outlook. Thanks.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by nvdakor on 2012-11-01 01:02
Hi,
There exists a duplicate of this one (#2768). Decided to merge these two so tha we can continue discussing similar issues with apps crashing in one ticket.
Changes:
Changed title from "Microsoft Outlook 2007 may stop responding after using it for a while" to "In Windows 8, some programs such as Outlook, Skype and others crash while using NVDA for a while"

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by jteh on 2012-11-01 03:04
It's possible that these crashes are unrelated. The Skype freeze is covered by #2712 and is due to a bug in Skype.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by jteh on 2012-11-01 03:05
If there are free apps (other than Skype) in which you can reproduce this problem, please provide information, steps to reproduce, etc.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by jteh on 2012-11-09 06:41
I've seen several mentions of Skype, Outlook and Chrome. However, some have said "other applications" but not provided any specifics. Please provide application names and steps to reproduce the freezes/crashes if possible.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by jteh on 2012-11-23 22:38
For testing, I hacked together a little plugin to disable the UIA !ToolTipOpened and !MenuOpened events that we now register for. Note that the Python console instructions i gave some of you won't work; the process to disable them is more complicated than I thought. If you're experiencing freezes/crashes in Windows 8, please try the instructions below.

Preparation:

1. Download the attached plugin and copy it into the globalPlugins folder inside your NVDA configuration folder.
  2. Restart NVDA.

Testing:

1. Press NVDA+shift+1. NVDA should say "done". Note that this will stop Toasts from being reported.
  2. Test the problematic application. If the problem is definitely gone, skip the remaining steps.
  3. Otherwise, restart NVDA and press NVDA+shift+2. NVDA should say "done". Note that this may cause certain menus not to be reported.
  4. Test the problematic application. If the problem is definitely gone, please report details here.

Note that you have to restart NVDA to reverse these changes.

Please report any findings here.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Attachment unregUIAEvents.py added by jteh on 2012-11-23 22:38
Description:
Test plugin.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Attachment nvda_2012.3_win8_patch_log.txt added by nvdakor on 2012-11-24 01:59
Description:

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 6 by nvdakor on 2012-11-24 02:00
Hi,
Tested with NVDA 2012.3 installation without the patch and portable version with patch applied under Win8 with Outlook 2007. Attached is a log of events around the freeze. Thanks.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 7 by jteh on 2012-11-24 03:55
For now, please summarise. Does disabling either of these events using this plugin help or not?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 8 by nvdakor on 2012-11-24 03:59
Hi,
Summary: the patches didn't help.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 9 by dallasobrien on 2012-11-24 18:06
hi, I can not seem to get the patch working. I placed it in to the correct folder, but upon restarting NVDA, the commands given do not appear to work. they do not give any feedback at least.
running NVDA 2012.3 and windows 8 release preview.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 10 by mdcurran on 2012-11-26 08:07
As beta software can have bugs, and is known to change, it is important that we only focus on the Windows 8 RTM (official) release. One person hear has already stated that they are testing with Release Preview.
Please only comment on this ticket if you see this problem with the official RTM release. If you have only tested with a preview or internal build, please let us know so we can ignore your previous comments.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 11 by nishimotz on 2013-04-10 07:04
Skype for Windows desktop 6.2 freezes when moving focus using Tab key and the focus entered to "edit blank" which is adjacent to "Add contact button" and "Conversations panel Contacts tab".

I tried unregUIAEvents.py global plugin and found that NVDA+Shift+1 (unregister UIA ToolTipOpened) works for avoiding the freeze.

Tested on Windows 8 (64bit) Japanese + Skype 6.2.60.106 + nvda_snapshot_2013.1-6039.exe (installed).

Hope it helps resolving the issue.

@jcsteh
Copy link
Contributor

jcsteh commented Jun 24, 2016

The Skype issue is #2712 and was fixed in Skype. I'm not aware of any outstanding Windows 8 specific freezes in third party apps. Outlook 2007 crashes are covered in other issues. Closing.

@jcsteh jcsteh closed this as completed Jun 24, 2016
Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

2 participants