Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Please point out the significant difference between the ordinary color lime and the web color lime in the translators' comment for lime in colors.py so that "lime" does not get mistranslated #2749

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Oct 26, 2012 · 5 comments
Assignees
Labels
bug component/i18n existing localisations or internationalisation
Milestone

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by Palacee_hun on 2012-10-26 12:48
When revising translations I've noticed that the RGB triplet for color lime is incorrect in colors.py. It is somehow mistakenly coded as RGB hex 00:FF:00, which is not lime at all, but a bright, pure green color. The correct RGB triplet for lime would be hex BF:FF:00 according to Wikipedia (referenced by translators' comment), which matches its description as well: a color between yellow and green three quarters towards yellow.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by mdcurran on 2012-11-06 08:13
For now, colors.py uses the 16 html color names. Lime is correctly 00ff00 according to:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_colors#HTML_color_names

We may in future wish to extend the colors, but if we do it would be a rather large job for translators.

Changes:
Added labels: wontfix
State: closed

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by Palacee_hun on 2012-11-06 13:41
I see the point now. "Ordinary" color lime and the web color lime used in NVDA are quite different colors indeed. In order to inform translators about this not so obvious fact, I suggest that the translators' comment in colors.py for color lime should reflect this e.g. like:
[```

Translators: The web color lime.

#The web color lime is a pure, bright green color.

For more info see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lime_%28color%29#Web_color_.22lime.22_.28X11_Green.29

[[BR]([BR]]
)]
A comment like that would ensure that "lime" did not get mistranslated any more. Not only Hungarian translation contains this mistake (i.e. translating "lime" in its original sense), but e.g. French also seems to have it, and maybe others too.

Changes:
Changed title from "The RGB triplet of color lime is incorrect in colors.py" to "Please point out the significant difference between the ordinary color lime and the web color lime in the translators' comment for lime in colors.py so that "lime" does not get mistranslated"
Removed labels: wontfix
State: reopened

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by jteh on 2014-12-02 07:13
We propose renaming green to dark green and lime to green. This brings it more in line with the current situation for red and blue.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by Michael Curran <mick@... on 2014-12-03 07:50
In [e20df41]:

Rename the color Lime to Green and Green to Dark green. This should stop some confusion and brings green in line with the way red and blue are labeled.. Fixes #2749

Changes:
State: closed

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by mdcurran on 2014-12-03 07:50
Changes:
Milestone changed from None to 2015.1

@nvaccessAuto nvaccessAuto added bug component/i18n existing localisations or internationalisation labels Nov 10, 2015
@nvaccessAuto nvaccessAuto added this to the 2015.1 milestone Nov 10, 2015
michaelDCurran added a commit that referenced this issue Nov 23, 2015
…top some confusion and brings green in line with the way red and blue are labeled.. Fixes #2749
Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Labels
bug component/i18n existing localisations or internationalisation
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

2 participants