Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Activating buttons that do not have one default action #275

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jan 1, 2010 · 5 comments
Closed

Activating buttons that do not have one default action #275

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jan 1, 2010 · 5 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by vtsaran on 2009-02-16 21:39
In its current implementation NVDA always executes a single left-click on an focusable element when a SPACE or an ENTER key is pressed.
This is not always desirable as there may be some elements on the page, e.g. split buttons, that are capable of performing more than one action. With such buttons, ENTER key may drop down a menu while SPACE bar may execute a default click. A good example of such buttons can be found inside Yahoo! Mail Classic.

Repro steps:

1. Log into Yahoo! Mail and make sure that you are viewing the "classic version".
  2. Pick one of the messages in your INBOX folder (or any other folder, for that matter) and open it.
  3. Scroll down to the "Reply" button and press ENTER.
    This button is designed to drop down a submenu with options such as "Reply to sender" and "Reply to all". NVDA, however, will execute default action, which is "Reply to sender" and take you to the message composition screen.
    You can test to see that ENTER key does in fact drop down the submenu, described above, by bypassing ENTER key on a "Reply" button with INSERT+F2./
@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2009-02-16 21:41
Does Gecko actually expose two actions for this button? If not, I don't see how we can fix this without breaking other cases.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by vtsaran on 2009-05-25 17:11
I know that JAWS and Window-eyes have the same problem but not Orca on Gnome.
Interestingly enough, the behavior is as expected when in "focus mode" but not otherwise. So definitely, the browser understands that different keys are used to perform different actions when outside of the virtual buffer.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by jteh on 2009-06-24 03:05
Changes:
Milestone changed from 0.6 to None

@LeonarddeR
Copy link
Collaborator

@jcsteh: Is this part of webfix?

@jcsteh jcsteh removed their assignment Jul 19, 2017
@jcsteh
Copy link
Contributor

jcsteh commented Jul 19, 2017

I don't think so, since it doesn't appear to be affecting users in the wild. Moreover, I don't see a way to fix this which won't break cases where a button doesn't implement key handling as the user expects. Closing as won't fix, but if there are solid use cases for this in the wild, happy to discuss.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

3 participants