Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

enhance braille scroll in multiline controls #2757

Open
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Oct 29, 2012 · 4 comments
Open

enhance braille scroll in multiline controls #2757

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Oct 29, 2012 · 4 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by aleksey_s on 2012-10-29 12:14
In multiline controls like terminal, Add ability to move line up/down without losing the current horizontal cursor position. So if you are in the middle of the line and then move up one line, you are at the same x coordinate and thus same column in the line.
Add ability to scrol back/forward by one cell rather than full size of the display.

Usecases: reviewing textual plots, tables, guitar tabulatures, source code etc. Where you need precise positional information and ability to advance in small moves.

P.S. I discovered that I miss this functionality by playing with mapplesoft mapple textual plotting. It is really nice that they have this functionality, but with current NVDA braille behavior I found it unconvenient to review plots.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh (in reply to comment description) on 2012-10-29 23:05
Replying to aleksey_s:

In multiline controls like terminal, Add ability to move line up/down without losing the current horizontal cursor position. So if you are in the middle of the line and then move up one line, you are at the same x coordinate and thus same column in the line.

Many APIs don't provide for this kind of line scrolling, so it wouldn't work everywhere, though it would work in terminals as you desire. I guess it'd have to be a configurationn option, disabled by default. It'd also only work with the review cursor.

Add ability to scrol back/forward by one cell rather than full size of the display.

This can only work if "Avoid splitting words when possible" (word wrap) is disabled. Note that it is enabled by default.

@dkager
Copy link
Collaborator

dkager commented Jul 15, 2017

My understanding is that the request is for braille tethered to focus and review.
As @jcsteh said in #2757 (comment) and #7315 (comment) there are difficulties to implement this.

With that said, I do think it would be very useful at least when tethered to review. However, I don't think that simplifies the issue at all. The key information is how many characters (not braille cells) a user has panned forward relative to the start of the line.
There are two options for moving a line up/down while maintaining panning:

1. Position the application/review cursor somewhere in the middle of the line based on how far the user panned.
  2. Put the cursor at the start of the line (current behavior) but pan right before brailling. SuperNova does this in physical mode.

CC @LeonarddeR

@jcsteh jcsteh removed their assignment Sep 5, 2017
@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

I think option 1 described by @dkager is what visually happens when moving line by line with the application or system carret in many applications such as browsers etc. If I understand correctly the carret position within the line is handled by the application itself when moving line by line.

How is the carret moved visually in the terminal in this case? Does it maintain its vertical and horizontal position?

cc: @burmancomp

@burmancomp
Copy link
Contributor

But is this not question about behavior of review cursor when it is moved? So should review cursor keep its horizontal position when moving up/down/should there be setting for that? If review cursor would keep its horizontal position then braille should that same when tethered to review.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

5 participants