Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Heavy lag in Visual Studio 2010 #2759

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Oct 29, 2012 · 14 comments
Closed

Heavy lag in Visual Studio 2010 #2759

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Oct 29, 2012 · 14 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by ianr on 2012-10-29 19:58
I've noticed while using NVDA 2012.3 beta 3 that I get a heavy lag in visual studio 2010.
I should mention that it is intermitant but happens often enough that I've been able to make a good log file of it.
In my log I alt tab to the visual studio window.
During the next 18 seconds nvda is unresponsive and the log shows a line to update the braille with the same line of text 369 times.

You can see the start time on this line:
IO - braille.BrailleBuffer.update (13:03:58):
This is the line that appears 369 times:
Braille regions text: ShareUX::UpdateUsers(const std::wstring& usersToDelete, const std::wstring& usersToModify, const std::wstring& usersToRead, bool areReadOnlyUsers, bool verifyRecipient) '
This is the timestamp directly above the last repeated line:
IO - braille.BrailleBuffer.update (13:04:16):

After this I press the down arrow key twice and get major lag on both of them as well.

It seems to only happen when braille is enabled.
I've been using NVDA 2012.2.1 for a while without this specific problem.

I'm also pretty sure I was using beta 3 on some Visual Studio C# projects over the weekend without too much trouble.
It is common for me to get lag at random times in visual studio, but never this frequently.
This project is C++, not sure if that could be related.
I will attach the log file (debug logging level)

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Attachment nvda.log added by ianr on 2012-10-29 20:05
Description:

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2012-10-30 00:02
Can you please test with NVDA 2012.2.1? I want to know whether this is a regression.

If NVDA is displaying the same line in braille a lot, it suggests that VS is flooding NVDA with some event. However, I'm not sure what event.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by ianr on 2012-10-30 01:58
Yes, NVDA 2012.2.1 is what I usually use.

While it does sometimes lag in Visual Studio it is not as often as with NVDA 2012.3 beta 3.

For instance today after getting the problem with beta 3 I switched back to using 2012.2.1 for the rest of the day with far less problems.

So there is a definite difference and this seems to be a regression.

I just tested again with beta 3 and when in a C# file I didn't have the problem but as soon as I used control + tab to switch to a C++ file it started happening again.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by jteh on 2012-10-30 02:00
I guess this could be due to tooltip events (which we didn't listen to in 2012.2.1). However, we really do need to listen to those for Windows 8. I guess we could make this Windows 8 specific for now, though this obviously won't solve the problem for Windows 8 users.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by ianr on 2012-10-30 02:26
Yes, unless you can specifically unsubscribe to tooltip events for Visual Studio.

First we should verify that it is tooltip events causing the problem.

If you can provide a build that has tooltip events disabled or that at least logs when they are occurring I'd be glad to test with it.

Or even if you can provide links to existing snapshots, one before tooltip listening was implemented and one after I could test with those.

I personally am not using Windows 8, but that does not help those who are.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by jteh on 2012-10-30 03:47
Please try the following:

1. Press NVDA+control+z to open the NVDA Python console.
  2. Copy and paste the following line:
 import UIAHandler; UIAHandler.handler.clientObject.RemoveAutomationEventHandler(UIAHandler.UIA_ToolTipOpenedEventId, UIAHandler.handler.rootElement, UIAHandler.handler)
  1. Press enter.
    Does this revert to NVDA 2012.2.1 behaviour for this case?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 6 by ianr on 2012-10-30 20:46
I tried your suggestion but it does not fix the problem.

In my email the lines were different they had and around them and additional indenting.
I copied from the browser and pasted those.
The console returned 0. I assume that is expected.

If you have another idea I'm up for it. Or if there is an easy way for me to download any of the old snapshots I could do a sort of binary search using the snapshots until we find out about where the first snapshot with the problem occurred.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 7 by jteh (in reply to comment 6) on 2012-10-31 01:04
Replying to ianr:

I tried your suggestion but it does not fix the problem.

Hmm. Same thing, but try with the line:

import UIAHandler; UIAHandler.handler.clientObject.RemoveAutomationEventHandler(UIAHandler.UIA_MenuOpenedEventId, UIAHandler.handler.rootElement, UIAHandler.handler)

In my email the lines were different they had and around them and additional indenting.

They are WikiFormatting markup. It's best to copy from the browser unless you know how to interpret them.

The console returned 0. I assume that is expected.

Yes.

Or if there is an easy way for me to download any of the old snapshots

Afraid not. We don't have the disk space on our servers to keep them around, unfortunately.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 8 by ianr on 2012-11-01 18:06
Sorry to report it is still a problem with the new line you gave me.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 9 by ianr on 2012-11-01 18:17
It is odd to me that only the braille is repeated and not the speech.
Is there an event that Visual Studio can trigger that updates only the braille?

Have there been any driver updates to the BAUM Brailliant 80 specifically?

I tested again with braille disabled and the problem is definitely gone even without running anything in the python console.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 10 by jteh on 2012-11-01 22:00
Braille gets updated in response to several events that don't necessarily affect speech. Without further debugging locally, I can't tell which event is the culprit.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 11 by mdcurran on 2012-11-03 00:48
Fixed in f1b50b8. WpfTextView controls (as used for the VS 10 editor) Fire name and state changes once per second, and also fire them for each call to IUIAutomationTextRange::GetAttributeValue, which caused NVDA's braille code to reenter many times. Currently now NVDA will just ignore all name and state changes on WpfTextView controls. This should be solved better in the future. This certainly stops the lag for me when arrowing over file names in the output window, and also allows the braille cursor to flash properly in all these controls.
More technical info:
NVDA 2012.2.1 also called IUIAutomationTextRange::GetAttributeValue but didn't have the lag. I can only track it down to the fact that in NVDA 2012.2.1 there was an extra call to IUIAutomationTextRange::expandToEnclosingUnit (character) (but in that case it was character before that anyway). I think though that that is just another oddity in relation to the over all bug with that control rather than something we're expected to do.
Changes:
State: closed

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 12 by ianr on 2012-11-03 19:15
I've tested with the snapshot you mentioned and it's definitely fixed.
Visual Studio feels considerably more responsive, perhaps even more than 2012.2.1.

Thank you very much!

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 13 by jteh on 2012-11-04 10:03
Changes:
Milestone changed from None to 2012.3

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

1 participant