Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Use gettext natively for add-on manifest localisation #2819

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Nov 22, 2012 · 2 comments
Closed

Use gettext natively for add-on manifest localisation #2819

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Nov 22, 2012 · 2 comments
Assignees
Labels
Addon/management In NVDA management of addons by users. close/wontfix enhancement

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by jteh on 2012-11-22 20:24
(Spun off #2744#comment:4.)

It seems that add-on manifests are being translated using gettext. Currently, this is implemented in Rui's add-on template. Quoting Rui:

I implemented a way to generate translated manifest files from gettext mo files, so we can avoid most of the encoding problems translators caused (by accident). ...

manifests have been causing some more trouble to translators, further than encoding (i.g. quotes not close, extra fields added - which cause no harm but they tend to put there), etc). My point (and Mesar's at least) was more of users just using one format so they won't get more confused.

If everyone is going to do this, we should seriously consider replacing the current way we localise manifests with gettext. I realise this will break backwards compatibility and maybe we need to deprecate the old method in one release before we remove it in the next, but there's little point in the current system if no one uses it directly. It's just another layer of indirection.

Thoughts?

@nvaccessAuto nvaccessAuto added enhancement Addon/management In NVDA management of addons by users. labels Nov 10, 2015
@LeonarddeR
Copy link
Collaborator

@jcsteh: So, if I understand you correctly, you'd like to get rid of the whole localized manifest system somehow?

@jcsteh
Copy link
Contributor

jcsteh commented Jul 10, 2017

That was the intent, yes. However, add-ons have been using localised manifests for years now, popular add-ons are using the add-on template, the add-on template is required for far more than just this, we don't have any idea how to implement this, and we have far bigger problems to solve. So, closing, at least for the foreseeable future. :)

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Labels
Addon/management In NVDA management of addons by users. close/wontfix enhancement
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

4 participants