Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Update related dialogs unexpectedly get focus #2847

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Dec 4, 2012 · 6 comments
Closed

Update related dialogs unexpectedly get focus #2847

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Dec 4, 2012 · 6 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by bramd on 2012-12-04 18:29
Steps to reproduce:

1. Make sure there is an NVDA update available
  2. Open a web page
  3. Select the option to download the update
  4. Use NVDA search (ins+ctrl+f) on the website

Expected result:
After searching the focus should return to the website.

Actual result:
The search result is being read, but the focus is moved to the "Downloading update" or "Update is ready to install" dialog.

@LeonarddeR
Copy link
Collaborator

@bramd, can you still reproduce this? Might be related to #4228

@bramd
Copy link
Contributor

bramd commented Jul 19, 2017

@LeonarddeR Wow, that's an old one. Just tried the exact steps I described. While the downloading dialog was displayed, nothing special happened. However, when the message that the download was succesfull and the update will be installed is displayed, the find dialog seems to react strangely. Tabbing no longer works properly and pressing enter doesn't activate the OK button anymore. I can't cancel out of it either.

Easier way to reproduce this: Open find dialog, search for text that isn't there, leave the not found message box open, open a second find dialog. You should see the behavior I described.

Note: earlier I posted multiple comments, deleted those and merged them into 1 comment for clarity.

@jcsteh
Copy link
Contributor

jcsteh commented Jul 19, 2017

If I'm reading this right, the originally reported behaviour (an update dialog gaining focus after dismissing the Find dialog) no longer occurs. The weird issue with the Find dialog not responding to key commands (tab, enter, escape, etc.) occurs because the update success dialog is a modal dialog, which seems to block messages from getting to modeless dialogs. #1451, #3361 and #5735 are other instances of the same behaviour (with the same cause). #1740 also has the same cause, though with different results.

By definition according to wx, a modal dialog blocks input to all other windows, so I guess this makes sense. However, it surprises me that there doesn't seem to be a way to prevent this from affecting other top level windows in the same app in wx. For example, if you have two documents open in Word or two browser windows open in Chrome, a modal dialog in one window doesn't affect the other window at all.

@Brian1Gaff
Copy link

Brian1Gaff commented Jul 20, 2017 via email

@bhavyashah
Copy link

According to @jcsteh's #2847 (comment), the original issue reported in this ticket no longer occurs, and the buggy behaviour described in @bramd's #2847 (comment) is unrelated to that and already covered by several other cited tickets. Time to close? @ehollig

@ehollig
Copy link
Collaborator

ehollig commented Aug 29, 2017

Closing, as it sounds as if the original issue does not happen anymore.

@ehollig ehollig closed this as completed Aug 29, 2017
Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

7 participants