Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Search in windows 8, number of results for apps, setting and files not read #2849

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Dec 5, 2012 · 11 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by david on 2012-12-05 16:56
In windows 8, using the search pane for searching apps, settings or files, then in the Search Apps list (list of possible scopes for the search), after each of apps, settings, and files, the number of results in that scope is displayed. When the focus moves to one of these list items, Jaws and narrator read the name of the item and the number of results, but NVDA doesn't. This information is available in the ItemStatus of the object in UIA api.

@jsschultz
Copy link

Hello,

I would like to contribute to fix this issue. The UIA_ItemStatusPropertyId is being used to communicate item status information, but NVDA is not reading it.

My approach is to mimic the HelpText property handling for UIA objects. I would just queue the property changed event for this property as a descriptionChange event and do the same things that are already done for that event.

I could expose another event altogether called statusChange, but that might be too close to the existing stateChange event.

What do you guys think?

@ehollig
Copy link
Collaborator

ehollig commented Aug 8, 2018

CC @michaelDCurran @feerrenrut @LeonarddeR on your opinions on suggested fix in #2849 (comment) from @jsschultz

@feerrenrut
Copy link
Contributor

@jsschultz Do you have a prototype you could point us to? It would make it easier to be sure we understand what you are proposing.

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

@@jsschultz your response on @feerrenrut's comment above is very appreciated. Thanks.

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

@josephsl since you were involved in improving this on Windows 10, is there maybe a fix for Windows 8 not far away. Your thoughts are very welcome here.

@jsschultz
Copy link

Sorry for my lack of responsiveness … I've been extraordinarily busy lately. I will provide a prototype when I get some time. Hopefully in the next several weeks.

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

@josephsl, @jsschultz is there a plan to extend the fix introduced in #12791 for windows 8 as well?

@josephsl
Copy link
Collaborator

josephsl commented Feb 28, 2023 via email

@jsschultz
Copy link

jsschultz commented Feb 28, 2023 via email

@Brian1Gaff
Copy link

Brian1Gaff commented Mar 1, 2023 via email

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

Adriani90 commented Mar 1, 2023

It seems the resonance for windows 8 support is very limited and I also think not many users are on Windows 8 anymore. I am Closing this issue for now, but feel free to comment if you think that it is very crucial to implement a solution for windows 8.

@Adriani90 Adriani90 closed this as not planned Won't fix, can't repro, duplicate, stale Mar 1, 2023
Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

8 participants