Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

NVDA fails to start or give feedback if it can't remove a pending addon folder #2860

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Dec 9, 2012 · 2 comments
Assignees
Labels
Addon/management In NVDA management of addons by users. bug/startup-crash bug
Milestone

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by Simon818 on 2012-12-09 08:33
To reproduce:

1. Use Explorer to navigate into a folder containing an addon, for instance:
    C:\Users\Simon\AppData\Roaming\nvda\addons\systrayList
  2. Once you're in that folder, remove the addon using the addon manager.
  3. When NVDA is restarted, it attempts to remove this folder, which is now locked because windows explorer is also trying to access it.

On my windows 7 x86 machine, instead of popping up a normal error and speaking, it produces a critical error sound, and closes after a few seconds. I haven't been able to figure out whether there is a message box or something else that comes up, because NVDA is my only screen reader. The oddest part, and the part that left me stranded without a screen reader for several minutes, is the fact that even after the folder is once again writable, NVDA still doesn't start. It was necessary to actually delete the folder associated with that addon before it would start. I tested this several times under windows7. I am using Explorer++, and the process actually closed before I attempted to start NVDA again, so there's no way it could still have been accessing the folder.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by mdcurran on 2012-12-10 00:47
Fixed in 27349d8.
Changes:
State: closed

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by jteh on 2012-12-10 00:50
Changes:
Milestone changed from None to 2013.1

@nvaccessAuto nvaccessAuto added bug Addon/management In NVDA management of addons by users. bug/startup-crash labels Nov 10, 2015
@nvaccessAuto nvaccessAuto added this to the 2013.1 milestone Nov 10, 2015
Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Labels
Addon/management In NVDA management of addons by users. bug/startup-crash bug
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

2 participants