Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

NVDA stops reading sentences following full stop in a paragraph when using the mouse in Google Chrome #2868

Open
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Dec 12, 2012 · 10 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by bramhini on 2012-12-12 11:02
In a paragraph NVDA doesn't read sentences following full-stop if space is provided after the full-stop in webpages and also in this text-field.If there is no space it works fine.This is not a problem while reading pdf documents in Adobe reader.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2012-12-12 11:28
Please provide exact steps to reproduce, including an example URL, what you did, what happened and what you expected.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by briang1 on 2012-12-12 11:33
I wonder which browser this was and what language and synth is in use as well?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by bramhini on 2012-12-12 15:41
Browser - google chrome.
Language - English.
Synth - ( I didnt understand what exactly synth is)

URL - http://www.guru99.com/

when I place the pointer on the text in the page. NVDA only reads the First sentence(Guru99 is totally new kid of learning experience) and stops. It will not read the whole paragraph.

Also I am not sure if it supposed to recognize or not the Line "Check out our courses" and other names of courses like Software Testing, QTP ,SQL below this line in the same page.when I point on them it keeps on repeating the previously read sentences.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by jteh on 2012-12-12 21:56
Okay. That information is much more useful.

While we do our best to support reading text under the mouse, the primary focus of NVDA and the accessibility support in many applications is reading using the keyboard.

It looks like Chrome doesn't correctly support querying for paragraphs of text. This is a bug in Chrome which needs to be fixed by Google.
Changes:
Changed title from "NVDA stops reading sentences following full stop in a paragraph in Webpages." to "NVDA stops reading sentences following full stop in a paragraph when using the mouse in Google Chrome"

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by briang1 on 2012-12-12 22:00
Not tried it recently but I wonder if Chrome-Vox will help him out, though its a bit of c cop out I know.

@bhavyashah
Copy link

@jcsteh As you noted in #2868 (comment), this was a flaw of Google Chrome itself. Does this bug still stand in recent versions of Chrome? If so, has a ticket been filed with Chrome about this accessibility deficiency? If not, I would request the filing of one, and if this has already been done, please cite the same so we can track its progress.

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

@bramhini is this still reproducible?
@jcsteh is this bug reported to Google Crome?

@jcsteh
Copy link
Contributor

jcsteh commented Nov 25, 2018

I don't think it was ever reported.

@ObjectInSpace
Copy link

I see roughly the same results on this site in Firefox. I also tried data:text/html,<textarea>This is a test. This is another test.</textarea> In Firefox NVDA reads "This is a test. This is" It reads "another test" when I move the mouse lower. So I think it is reading line instead of paragraph in both browsers. However Chrome didn't read anything when mousing over the multiline, which is its own bug which I will file.

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

@ObjectInSpace is there a bug filled with Chromium on this issue? It would be interesting to see its status.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

6 participants