Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

NVDA fails to run and causes WerFault exceptions #2872

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Dec 17, 2012 · 6 comments
Closed

NVDA fails to run and causes WerFault exceptions #2872

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Dec 17, 2012 · 6 comments
Labels

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by julianharty on 2012-12-17 12:06
Neither NVDA portable v0.5 or NVDA 2012.3.1 run on the Windows 7 corporate computer I am using.

Both were the current, recommended downloads from the NVDA project site.

For NVDA Portable, the UI starts and runs for a second or two. Then it disappears. I will attach the nvda_debug.log file which is generated. nvda_stderr.log is created, but empty.

For the installed version of NVDA, When the UI starts (by clicking on NVDA.exe) the UI offers me the option to choose the NVDA key. I leave the default value and continue. I then start getting WerFault.exe popups. I noticed that Windows Explorer is no longer visible and cannot start Task Manager. I can use the web browser, and Ctrl+Alt+Del still work. I have included the error message from the Windows Application Log below (I removed some confidential details, which are replaced with the word 'removed'). I will also attach nvda.log which is generated when NVDA starts.

Note: I first tried to run the portable version. I then installed the full program after the portable version didn't work. The problems appear consistently.

I'm a sighted user, using NVDA for testing web accessibility. I only have access to the machine I'm using on an occasional basis.

Here is the extract from the Windows Application Log file:

Log Name: Application
Source: Symantec AntiVirus
Date: 17/12/2012 11:41:02
Event ID: 45
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: removed
Computer: removed
Description:

SYMANTEC TAMPER PROTECTION ALERT

Target: C:\Program Files (x86)\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection\12.1.671.4971.105\Bin\ccSvcHst.exe
Event Info: Create Process
ActionTaken: Logged
Actor Process: C:\PROGRAM FILES (X86)\NVDA\NVDA.EXE (PID 2360)
Time: 17 December 2012 11:41:02
Event Xml:

0x80000000000000

Application
removed

SYMANTEC TAMPER PROTECTION ALERT

Target: C:\Program Files (x86)\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection\12.1.671.4971.105\Bin\ccSvcHst.exe
Event Info: Create Process
ActionTaken: Logged
Actor Process: C:\PROGRAM FILES (X86)\NVDA\NVDA.EXE (PID 2360)
Time: 17 December 2012 11:41:02

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

nvaccessAuto commented Dec 17, 2012

Attachment nvda.log added by julianharty on 2012-12-17 12:07
Description:
the log from the installed instance of NVDA when it is started
Update:
File added from Trac
nvda.log.txt

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

nvaccessAuto commented Dec 17, 2012

Attachment nvda_debug.log added by julianharty on 2012-12-17 12:07
Description:
The NVDA log file generated by NVDA portable 0.5 when I try to run it
Update:
File added from Trac
nvda_debug.log.txt

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by briang1 on 2012-12-17 17:36
If you are the admin of the system this computer is on, it certainly looks to me like the security software believes that Windows is under attack and is shutting stuff down in response. I'd suggest a word to the security software provider. Don't think anyone else has reported this problem, but no doubt more will pop up the minute I say this. We all have had anti virusses throwing up false positives with nvda before however and in all cases the anti virus writers have fixed it given a copy of the nvda software. I suspect its when nvda is hooking into routines that the security suite gets the problem.

The last issue I had was with avg, I don't use the one you have.

So get in touch with admin or you know who, who make the security software I guess.

Very extreme example!

@bhavyashah
Copy link

Could someone please take a look at the logs attached in #2872 (comment) and #2872 (comment) and let us know if it provides any useful information that might help us independently troubleshoot this issue (since the original author of this ticket can no longer be contacted)?

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

@julianharty are you still able to reproduce this? I guess NVDA was blocked by symantec security software or something like that. I am prety sure this is not an NVDA bug.

@ehollig
Copy link
Collaborator

ehollig commented Nov 25, 2018

I believe Symantec was blocking NVDA, or parts of NVDA for some reason. I am going to close this issue, as it is not an NVDA issue, but if it is still occurring, we can reopen.

@ehollig ehollig closed this as completed Nov 25, 2018
Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Labels
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

4 participants