Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Unregister .nvda-addon file association upon uninstallation #2873

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Dec 17, 2012 · 5 comments
Closed

Unregister .nvda-addon file association upon uninstallation #2873

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Dec 17, 2012 · 5 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by elliott94 on 2012-12-17 18:00
As of 2012.3, the installer automatically registers the .nvda-addon filetype to be handeled by nvda_slave for the installation of add-on packages. However, the association isn't removed upon installation. This could potentially cause problems if a downgrade was performed; currently, attempting to open an add-on package does nothing which could potentially cause confusion.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by ragb on 2012-12-17 18:42
Hi,

I recall reading some Microsoft recomendation to not remove the progID, since removing the executable makes the association disabled. (I can't find that reference now).

I can't see potential problems, either then reporting an error to the user, which is what may happen if you down grade (I didn't test).

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by elliott94 (in reply to comment 1) on 2012-12-17 19:27
Replying to ragb:

I can't see potential problems, either then reporting an error to the user, which is what may happen if you down grade (I didn't test).

Currently, nvda_slave.exe gets called (presumably to try and install the package), and closes about a second after without any warning messages. I guess I just expected some sort of error to appear; if a user double-clicks an add-on package and nothing happens, they might not know why the add-on doesn't get installed.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by briang1 on 2012-12-18 08:12
I often notice that if I've uninstalled some software and then I run a registry cleaner it will flag up unused file extensions that are apparently registered to be opened by software no longer present. I usually allow removal just for tidyness, but apart from making the regisry more compact and tidy, I see no actual difference.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by jteh on 2012-12-23 00:33
Probably already fixed by 36ad429 (ticket #2859). I'd be grateful if you could test with a recent snapshot and report.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by jteh on 2015-04-10 03:14
Closing as per comment:4. Please reopen if the problem persists.
Changes:
Added labels: worksforme
State: closed

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

1 participant