Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

NVDA does not interact very well in IE ten if compatibility mode is turned off. #2876

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Dec 18, 2012 · 4 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by Harich on 2012-12-18 15:41
If the compatibility mode is turned off in Internet Explorer ten in Windows Eight, the NVDA does not work in some areas. For instance, the NVDA's own web site, nvda-project.org, in creating ticket, I could not interact with combo boxes. The NVDA would not turn focus mode.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by mdcurran on 2012-12-18 23:47
Before we investigate this one, it would be good to know that for a sighted person, is this page and combo boxes when compatibility mode is off in IE 10 is completely usable without a screen reader? Its possible that this page simply is not standards compliant and therefore IE 10 needs to mutate it or reinterpret to be "compatible".

@ehollig
Copy link
Collaborator

ehollig commented Aug 2, 2017

NVDA works well with IE 11 and I believe it works the same with IE 10 on Windows 8.1. Can you confirm this @bhavyashah?

@bhavyashah
Copy link

According to http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-enable-compatibility-view-in-internet-explorer-11-ie11/:
"In Internet Explorer 11, the compatibility view button is removed from the address bar because document modes are now deprecated. Microsoft felt that the button had outlived his purpose because it's been many years now since Microsoft introduced X-UA-Compatible tags. Web developers were supposed to add these X-UA-Compatible meta tags to their website's HTML header to indicate web page compatibility and not leave it to the user to depend on the button to correctly render the page. Now, Microsoft is expecting all web developers to update their websites to work with the latest edge mode and avoid using document modes, unless on a temporary basis. "
While I shall test the compatibility view in Internet Explorer 11 for the issue described (at a later time), I believe the above may aid in triaging this issue, and might even justify closing.

@ehollig
Copy link
Collaborator

ehollig commented Nov 24, 2017

Closing because of reasoning in #2876 (comment)

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

3 participants