Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

NVDA not reading all menu items with Classic Shell in Windows 8 #2878

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Dec 21, 2012 · 8 comments
Closed

NVDA not reading all menu items with Classic Shell in Windows 8 #2878

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Dec 21, 2012 · 8 comments
Labels
Abandoned requested reports or updates are missing since more than 1 year, author or users are not available. app-specific blocked/needs-external-fix bug

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by hurrikenny on 2012-12-21 05:48
I have recently upgraded to Windows 8 pro. I didn't really like using the metro apps start menu, so I downloaded Classic Shell - which gave me back my traditional start menu on my desktop. The only issue I am having is that when I press the Windows key, and arrow up to the apps menus, and then say arrow right to one of them, it will read it then, but not when I arrow back to the left. If I then arrow up or down, it will read it. It does the same when I go to programs and a few other menus where I have to arrow back to the left. It reads fine using arrow up or arrow down, just not using the left arrow to go back. I am also aware that the search field is not labelled (which I will contact the developer to fix from their end). If I turn off NVDA and test it with Narrator, it reads all of the menus correctly. Here is a link to the program. http://download.cnet.com/Classic-Shell/3000-2072_4-75553853.html

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

nvaccessAuto commented Dec 21, 2012

Attachment navigating the classic menus added by hurrikenny on 2012-12-21 05:50
Description:
Navigating the classic menu error report
Update:
File added from Trac
navigating the classic menus.txt

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by briang1 on 2013-01-15 18:12
I was looking at this program for when my shiny new machine gets here. Tell me, dioes this uninstall without leaving any damage to windows. From what you say it sounds like the accessability that Microsoft use is not exactly mirrored in the classic shell software,which is what I was afraid of in these shells.
Please keep us updated with this.

@ghost
Copy link

ghost commented Mar 1, 2016

Is it possible to add code for the Classic Shell start menu to the appmodule for Explorer?

@josephsl
Copy link
Collaborator

josephsl commented Mar 1, 2016

Hi, if Control+NVDA+F1 says “explorer.exe” while focused on Classic Shell, then yes (I’m thinking not). Thanks.

Sent: Tuesday, March 1, 2016 12:19 AM
To: nvaccess/nvda nvda@noreply.github.com
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA not reading all menu items with Classic Shell in Windows 8 (#2878)

Is it possible to add code for the Classic Shell start menu to the appmodule for Explorer?

Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub #2878 (comment) .

@bhavyashah
Copy link

Confirmed. The search edit field is read as 'edit blank' by NVDA, indicating that it is unlabelled from the software vendor's end itself. The second issue is that arrowing up to the Programs submenu, pressing the right arrow, and then pressing the left arrow does not take the user back to the Programs submenu but to some completely different place (PC username icon), something that seems less of an NVDA bug to me and more of a Classic Shell one. Regardless, I probably think the App Specific and NeedsExternalFix label would be suitable for this ticket.

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

@hurrikenny, @ghost is this still reproducible for you?

@Adriani90 Adriani90 added the Abandoned requested reports or updates are missing since more than 1 year, author or users are not available. label Mar 29, 2023
@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

We didn't get any updates from the authors that could reproduce this issue for a very long time, and Support for Windows 8 ended completely in 2016 while Windows 8.1 ended completely in January 2023. I don't expect any futher updates for these Windows versions. I am closing this issue as abandoned given the missing updates.

@Adriani90 Adriani90 closed this as not planned Won't fix, can't repro, duplicate, stale Mar 29, 2023
@Brian1Gaff
Copy link

Brian1Gaff commented Mar 30, 2023 via email

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Labels
Abandoned requested reports or updates are missing since more than 1 year, author or users are not available. app-specific blocked/needs-external-fix bug
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

6 participants