Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Automatic braille table suggestion based on the user's language #290

Open
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jan 1, 2010 · 14 comments
Open

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by aleksey_s on 2009-03-17 21:12
NVDA must automatically suggest appropriate braille translation table, to help beginners. We need to decide what tables take as default, and add the language code as a field into table-list binding.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2009-06-24 01:42
Changes:
Milestone changed from 0.6 to None

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by Bernd on 2011-03-06 14:09
What about asking the translators on the developers list? I think all translators could comment to this ticket. Maybe we could also add serveys to later questions.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by Bernd on 2012-06-11 17:14
As we now have the translators Mailinglist, we could ask the Translators to note the preffered table in a list so someboddy could do the job. Alternatively we could use Computerbraille which belongs to a language. For most languages we have almost one translation table.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by nvdakor on 2013-01-25 08:35
Hi,
Commenting a bit late...
If you want, I can ask around for suggestions on which table we should use. I see two problems:

• Some languages, such as English, provides two or more dialects and/or tables. In this case, it would not be a good idea to enforce one table per language unless if we can detect the country code.
  • Not all languages have a braille table. If so, one option is to choose the last table used. Alternatively, we can set an "automatic" braille table so langs which doesn't have a braille table can fall back to this table.
    For putting this into source code, we could have:
  • Pair NVDA interface language with the appropriate braille table. In this case, the interface lang value in settings file would also contain the braille table name. This allows future expansion to speech language setting.
  • Add a field in braille tables list in braille.py - a third field which specifies whether the given braille table file should be loaded when a particular interface of NVDA is chosen. This requires concensus on which table to use if a language provides more than one table (such cases are Chinese and English).
    Thanks.

@LeonarddeR
Copy link
Collaborator

CC @dkager @jcsteh @bdorer @josephsl

@LeonarddeR
Copy link
Collaborator

Labeled as feature. Some thoughts.

It seems that @jcsteh doesn't want to rely on liblouis metadata alone, which I understand and agree with. @dkager, you might have a better overview on how the metadata thing is going?

Personally, I think we should allow language maintainers to set their prefered defaults with some restrictions (e.g. no grade 2). Such an automated selection system could be broader in scope. For speech, I belief selection of the desired language is done in the espeak driver, which is a bit ugly imo.

@dkager
Copy link
Collaborator

dkager commented Jul 18, 2017

Related: #6952 (comment)

@dkager
Copy link
Collaborator

dkager commented Jul 18, 2017

@dkager, you might have a better overview on how the metadata thing is going?

Slowly. :)
It's hard to standardize. One country's grade 1 is uncontracted, another country calls that grade 0. Yet others say grade 0 is computer braille.

@jcsteh
Copy link
Contributor

jcsteh commented Jul 19, 2017

The new brailleTables module introduced in #6449 makes our own table metadata a lot more extensible. I think we could add a defaultForLanguages argument to the addTable function which specifies a list of languages for which this is the default. To be future proof, I think we should allow language defaults to be specified for both contracted and uncontracted. For now, we can just choose uncontracted. In future, though, we may want to make them separately configurable to allow fast switching, uncontracted input outside of editable content, etc.

@LeonarddeR
Copy link
Collaborator

One concern I have is how we should deal with dialects. For example, there is a Dutch (Netherlands) and Dutch (Belgium) table, however there is only one single NVDA language for both dialects. Using the windows language for this could be sufficient, of course.

@dkager
Copy link
Collaborator

dkager commented Jul 19, 2017

One result that should come out of the Braille Authority is that these two tables get merged. But I imagine some Asian countries have the dialect problem too. English countries had it, but UEB covers most or all of that.

@bdorer
Copy link
Sponsor

bdorer commented Mar 19, 2019

one easy way would be the following:
Ask the user in the welcome dialog wheather he wants to use braille and provide him one of the table wich fits to his language.

@Qchristensen
Copy link

Since this was asked on Twitter, would setting the Braille table for the current language be done just when installing, or when detecting changes of language in text (like the synthesizer changing language on the fly)?

@dkager
Copy link
Collaborator

dkager commented Aug 9, 2019

Changing the braille table dynamically based on content language should probably not be the default behavior. You don't necessarily have knowledge of all the braille tables for the languages that you understand.

If there will be an option to dynamically switch braille tables it will be helpful if the user can also specify if she wants 6-dot/literary braille or 8-dot/computer braille.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

6 participants