Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Application support list for nvda. #2901

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Dec 27, 2012 · 6 comments
Closed

Application support list for nvda. #2901

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Dec 27, 2012 · 6 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by meerkat on 2012-12-27 04:38
Would it be too dificult to list what applications work with nvda in the help file, and what hotkeys work with them? I know there is an article listing only some of the applications that work with nvda, but it doesn't list all the applications.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2012-12-27 05:16
The problem is that a lot of applications just work out of the box and we don't even know about them. Providing a list in the User Guide might suggest that only these applications work with NVDA. It also can't be updated as quickly as a live web page and only we can update it, but we probably don't know most of the applications our users are successfully using. I did make a start on this on the ApplicationSupport page, but it is extremely incomplete.

Regarding key commands for applications, the User Guide should list all commands specific to NVDA. Otherwise, the user should consult the application documentation for its key commands.

We definitely need some sort of list, but I don't know how it could work. Leaving open for discussion.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by briang1 on 2012-12-27 05:18
I think this has been discussed before. One issue is that some software is quite a bit compatable, but not completely, so how do you call it. Are you going to say flat review has to be used for xxx or what,
Its a tough one and really needs constant updating as some software often loses access or gains it several times a year, so one needs to be very specific about versions and operating system versions.

Not saying its not a good idea, but better on a website with a link from help than actually in the software, and also would be a major headache to keep up to date.

Those are my thoughts at any rate.

@ehollig
Copy link
Collaborator

ehollig commented Aug 9, 2017

Interested to see @Qchristensen and @feerrenrut's opinions on this issue, as it was left open for discussion.

@Brian1Gaff
Copy link

Brian1Gaff commented Aug 9, 2017 via email

@Qchristensen
Copy link

I agree with the comments made. While such a list would be useful for the regular questions we get around the best software for XYZ, it would be impossible to cover all possible options and to keep up to date. Generally, when I get such queries, I will direct them to the user's e-mail list. Often there will be someone on the list with current experience about software in that field.

Maybe the outcome from this issue could be to add a line to the User Guide noting that NVDA works with too many programs to list, and suggesting asking on the Users e-mail list if you are having trouble locating a program for a particular purpose?

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

Given the comments above, I also think this is a far too big task for us. But there is accessibility central which is being maintained by Gene, a very engaged guy in our community. On this website you can find road tested programs with NVDA.
http://www.accessibilitycentral.net/

So, I suggest to close this issue.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

5 participants