Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

live region not read in firefox when tabbing - reads when arrowing #2908

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jan 3, 2013 · 3 comments
Closed

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by RichCaloggero on 2013-01-03 04:45
http://www.mit.edu/~rjc/aria/popupExtraInfo.html

The popup is triggered when one of the links gains focus, either via tab or arrows, However, it is not announced when tabbing.

You can sort of hear nvda begin to voice it, but then it is cut off by nvda voicing the text inside the "a" element. When you arrow, the text content of the anchor is read first, then nvda voices the popup.

Seems like a bug to me.

Got to say - I love that nvda will read title tags on links - certainly the easiest way of adding small bits of extra info; wish all screen readers did this!
-- Rich

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2013-01-03 06:05
In browse mode, focus changes not triggered by NVDA itself (e.g. mouse or tab key) cause speech to be silenced. This is because generally, page reading should stop when the focus is changed by the browser. I'm not really sure how we could fix this without breaking other use cases.

Imo, this technique isn't particularly ideal. Even if we did fix it, the live region would be read before the link, not after.

@ehollig
Copy link
Collaborator

ehollig commented Aug 9, 2017

It appears that the URL provided as an example no longer exists. @jcsteh, in #2908 (comment) it sounds like you had an opinion about this. Has this changed since the creation of the comment?

@jcsteh
Copy link
Contributor

jcsteh commented Aug 10, 2017

I think things have changed in this code since this issue was filed. Nevertheless, now that the test case has gone, this is no longer valid. Closing. If this behaviour is seen elsewhere, this can be reopened.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

3 participants