Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Command for jumping to a specific line #2918

Open
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jan 8, 2013 · 13 comments
Open

Command for jumping to a specific line #2918

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jan 8, 2013 · 13 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by ateu on 2013-01-08 16:36
I think it's useful when reading documents, when we want to jump to a given line.
There is already an add-on, but I think this feature should be in the main distribution.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

nvaccessAuto commented Jan 8, 2013

Attachment jumpToLine.py added by ateu on 2013-01-08 16:49
Description:
Update:
File added from Trac
jumpToLine.py.txt

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by ateu on 2013-01-08 16:50
Changes:
Changed title from "Command to jump to a specific line" to "Command for jumping to a specific line"

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by jteh on 2013-01-08 22:21
Regarding browse mode, the problem is that jumping to a line number is very slow. Browse mode doesn't keep track of line numbers (or even lines), so the only way to get them is to walk from the top of the document moving line by line. This means that jumping would get slower as the line number gets larger.

If you mean everywhere, applications should implement this themselves and in fact many do.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by ateu (in reply to comment 2) on 2013-01-08 22:28
Replying to jteh:

Regarding browse mode, the problem is that jumping to a line number is very slow. Browse mode doesn't keep track of line numbers (or even lines), so the only way to get them is to walk from the top of the document moving line by line. This means that jumping would get slower as the line number gets larger.

If you mean everywhere, applications should implement this themselves and in fact many do.

What applications, for example? I don't know any application that do this.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by jteh (in reply to comment 3) on 2013-01-08 22:35
Replying to ateu:

Notepad, Notepad++ and Microsoft Word, to name a few.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by ateu (in reply to comment 4) on 2013-01-08 23:34
Replying to jteh:

Replying to ateu:

Notepad, Notepad++ and Microsoft Word, to name a few.

Alright, but where this feature doesn't exists, if you implemente, will help to move through large texts if the user knows the number of the line or if it has marked something.
I think this is not so useful in virtual buffers.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 6 by jteh (in reply to comment 5) on 2013-01-08 23:52
Replying to ateu:

Alright, but where this feature doesn't exists, if you implemente, will help to move through large texts if the user knows the number of the line or if it has marked something.

Why should this be needed more by a screen reader user than any other user? In other words, why should it be a core screen reader feature rather than a feature of the application?

I think this is not so useful in virtual buffers.

Performance will be a problem for many controls, depending on the accessibility API they use.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 7 by ateu (in reply to comment 6) on 2013-01-09 01:01

Why should this be needed more by a screen reader user than any other user? In other words, why should it be a core screen reader feature rather than a feature of the application?

Easiness. This is the key word. Sicted persons can easily find a text or any place in the document using the mouse and your eyes.
We cannot. For this reazon, all features that can provide easiness for moving and find the text or place in a document we need to go, should be wellcome.
I think we, blind, sometimes forget the shortcuts are the best way to provide ecuals speed on using the computer.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 8 by jteh (in reply to comment 7) on 2013-01-09 01:16
Replying to ateu:

Sicted persons can easily find a text or any place in the document using the mouse and your eyes.

True to an extent, although they still have to scroll. In any case, any decent text editor will have a find command and quite a lot have a go to line command. I'm also very reluctant to implement something that will perform badly under certain circumstances; e.g. large line numbers.

@bhavyashah
Copy link

Personally, I am not convinced about the need for a dedicated jump to line feature in NVDA:

• If the line number is small, then repeatedly pressing the arrow keys seems like a reasonable alternative.
  • If the line number is large, then (a) performance problems mentioned by Jamie in previous comments, (b) is it common for people to remember that "NVDA is a screen reader." was on the 62nd line and generally memorize line numbers as mental bookmarks, and (c) jumping to some text by searching for that text using the Find dialog seems more intuitive.
    Perhaps I am just failing to realize the merits of such a feature and others who have used this in other screen readers can speak of its usefulness from personal experience.

@bhavyashah
Copy link

For the record, I am not so sure if I still agree with #2918 (comment). The original ticket mentioned that there is an add-on packaging this functionality. Is a version of the same compatible with recent versions of NVDA available? If so, I would appreciate if someone could share its link.

@lukaszgo1
Copy link
Contributor

@bhavyashah My Percentage Checker add-on has such functionality, but don't expect miracles - jumping to lines can, as @jcsteh mentioned above, be pretty slow depending on the length of the text.

@bhavyashah
Copy link

bhavyashah commented Feb 15, 2021 via email

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

3 participants