Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

text under the mouse is not being read by paragraph #2940

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jan 21, 2013 · 17 comments
Closed

text under the mouse is not being read by paragraph #2940

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jan 21, 2013 · 17 comments
Labels
app/firefox bug feature/mouse-tracking p3 https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/blob/master/projectDocs/issues/triage.md#priority

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by surveyor on 2013-01-21 08:49
Even if text resolution under mouse settings was set as paragraph, text under the mouse can only be read line by line..

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2013-01-21 10:32
This depends on the application you're using. In many applications, we can't retrieve text by paragraphs due to limitations of the application. In applications which support this, it will work correctly.
Changes:
Added labels: worksforme
State: closed

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by surveyor (in reply to comment 1) on 2013-01-21 13:19
Replying to jteh:

This depends on the application you're using. In many applications, we can't retrieve text by paragraphs due to limitations of the application. In applications which support this, it will work correctly.

In fact, it was reported as a regression by some users from Turkish community. I've tested with firefox 18 and varified. While I can read text under the mouse by paragraph With NVDA 2012.1, I can't do that with last snapshots.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by surveyor on 2013-01-21 13:19
it is 2012.2.1.
Changes:
Removed labels: worksforme
State: reopened

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by jteh on 2013-01-22 00:26
Please include information like this in your initial description in future.

This apparent reading by paragraph was actually a bug which was reading entire text nodes. Firefox changed something in Firefox 15 which caused this. If you try NVDA 2012.2.1 with Firefox 14, you'll see the same behaviour. While it looks like a good thing, it causes other problems such as inability to read just by line and incorrect reading of dialogs. Firefox doesn't actually support retrieving of text by paragraphs.
Changes:
Added labels: cantfix
State: closed

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by falinn.onda on 2013-02-10 16:01
Hi jteh,

Please note that this issue doesn't simply mean that we cannot use paragraph resolution, since even if we set to line/word resolution only the first line is read while the mouse is pointing at the paragraph and the next lines cannot be read using mouse(as far as i know).

This means that mouse tracking feature is not very useful in Firefox which is a shame as it was working very well with the bug you mentioned.

Several ideas:

1. Maybe we can have an preferences option for "read entire text node" which will enable a behavior similar to the bug in previous versions. (BTW. i did not notice problems caused by this bug on 2012.1)
  2. Maybe we should notify the firefox community regarding this compatibility issue.
  3. Is there a browser which is more compatible with NVDA?

Thanks

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 6 by falinn.onda on 2013-02-10 16:02
Changes:
Removed labels: cantfix
State: reopened

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 7 by jteh (in reply to comment 5) on 2013-02-10 17:28
Replying to falinn.onda:

Please note that this issue doesn't simply mean that we cannot use paragraph resolution, since even if we set to line/word resolution only the first line is read while the mouse is pointing at the paragraph and the next lines cannot be read using mouse(as far as i know).

I just tested and I can definitely read subsequent lines with the mouse. If you can't, please provide a URL you have tested and steps to reproduce the problem, including a snippet of the text over which you moved the mouse.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 8 by falinn.onda on 2013-02-11 14:27
Thanks for the quick response.
Maybe i'm doing something wrong.

Configuration:
Win 7, firefox 18, NVDA 2012.3.1 portable.
text unit resolution set to line.

Examples:

1. on NVDA user guide for 2012.3.1 the first paragraph in the introduction.
    It is written " NonVisual Desktop Access (NVDA) is a free and open source screen reader for the Microsoft Windows operating system. Providing feedback ..."
    If i put the mouse anywhere in the paragraph area it reads until "Microsoft" which is the end of the first line. If i move the mouse over the following lines it doesn't read anything. if i move the mouse outside the paragraph and back on it, it reads again the first line.
  2. Another example is this ticket page.
    you wrote " I just tested and I can definitely read subsequent lines with the mouse. If you can't, please provide a URL ..."
    It only reads up to "please" no matter wher i put the mouse in the paragraph.

Thanks!

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 9 by jteh on 2013-02-11 17:33
Your User Guide example definitely works as expected for me in Firefox nightly (21pre). I will need to test in Firefox 18 later.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 10 by falinn.onda on 2013-02-11 19:10
I tested it on another computer and it did work correctly.
The other computer i tried on is win xp with FF 18.0.1.

I tried running FF on the first win 7 computer in safe mode disabling the addons and still i was not able to read lines as i explained.
This FF is 18.0.2.

As a third try, i ran on win 7 virtual machine with new clean installation of FF 18.0.2 and NVDA portable 2012.3.1 and i got the same behavior as on the first computer i.e. cannot read following lines.
Is there a chance you are testing on XP?

BTW. i'm not sure i understand what you mean by "nightly (21pre)"

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 11 by jteh (in reply to comment 10) on 2013-02-11 19:13
Replying to falinn.onda:

Is there a chance you are testing on XP?

I'm testing on Win 7.

BTW. i'm not sure i understand what you mean by "nightly (21pre)"

I'm running a pre-alpha nightly build of Firefox, which will eventually become Firefox 21.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 12 by falinn.onda on 2013-02-28 14:11
An update:
using the recent release of firefox 19, it works line by line even within paragraphs for simple text.
So i guess my experienced was due to firefox 18.
It also works that way for me using firefox 21pre as you noted.

If possible in future releases of firefox, it would be great if the paragraph option will work by paragraph.

Still there are issues with links that have multiple lines. For example go to ebay.com using firefox and search for "sheep". enlarge the page so that the links would be broken into two lines. now when you put the mouse over the result link the first line is read but even when moving the mouse over the remaining lines, they are not read.
As an illustrationm the first result is get is
"Goat Sheep Cow Battery Powered Vacuum Milk Machine"
but the only thing that is read when placing the mouse anywhere on the link is the first line "Goat sheep".
Settings are NVDA 2012.3.1 and firefox 19.

Thanks for your help...

@NavenduSanwal
Copy link

Facing the similar bug for anchor tags which have large text so that it breaks into separate lines. It only reads the first line on mouse hover and ignore the others.

Tested on stackoverflow.com/ for questions which wrap to second line.

Configuration:

• Win7
  • Firefox 55.0.3
  • NVDA 2017.1
  • Mouse tracking enabled and text resolution set to "paragraph"

Are there any workaround?
Breaking links with <br> seems to have been working in some cases but can't be applied to dynamic links.

@feerrenrut
Copy link
Contributor

Another similar example:

data:text/html,<span id="labeltext">some text in a span before an inline button</span><button aria-labelledby="labeltext">Quick brown fox<br>jumps over lazy dog</button>

Using Firefox (Version 60.0.2), when moving the mouse over the button, only "jumps over the lazy dog" is read.

@feerrenrut feerrenrut added the p3 https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/blob/master/projectDocs/issues/triage.md#priority label Jun 18, 2018
@LeonarddeR
Copy link
Collaborator

@feerrenrut: Note that NVDA reads on the object level. The button is a separate object, so IMO it is sort of expected that it does only read the contents of the button.

@jcsteh
Copy link
Contributor

jcsteh commented Sep 23, 2020

Firefox now supports the paragraph unit as of Firefox 82 (currently in beta): https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1520779

So, if text wraps across two lines, mouse tracking by paragraph (and braille read by paragraph) will now behave as expected. For example, this wraps across two or more lines and gets read as one paragraph:
data:text/html,<button style="width: 50px; word-break: break-word;">foo bar</button>

Note, however, that <br> is considered to begin a separate paragraph. This is consistent with Chrome, as well as with NVDA browse mode.

@feerrenrut
Copy link
Contributor

I think this means we can close this issue. Please let me know if I missed something.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Labels
app/firefox bug feature/mouse-tracking p3 https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/blob/master/projectDocs/issues/triage.md#priority
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

6 participants