Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

NVDA does not track text selection when editing cells in Microsoft Excel #2946

Open
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jan 26, 2013 · 12 comments
Open

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by miahtech on 2013-01-26 05:30
The summary pretty much says it all. If you are editing information in a cell, and try to select text, NVDA does not track the selection with speech or in Braille.
Blocked by #770
Blocking #5407

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by laughingthunder on 2013-02-06 21:06
I just tested this with snapshot main-5836, and the issue still persists.
Changes:
Changed title from "In Excell edit field reached with F2, NVDA does not track selecting" to "NVDA does not track text selection when editing cells in Microsoft Excel"

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by jteh on 2015-10-15 03:33
#770 was implemented some time ago. Unfortunately (from ticket:770#comment:8):

It doesn't work in Excel. We're not sure why, but NVDA can't seem to detect any change to the colour of the text when it's selected. We can only guess that Excel uses some non-standard/strange way to highlight the selected text that we don't know how to detect.

@ehollig
Copy link
Collaborator

ehollig commented Aug 14, 2017

This appears to work correctly for me in Excel 2016. Can someone test using Excel 2010 to see if they get the same results? CC @bhavyashah

@bhavyashah
Copy link

Confirmed. Using NVDA 2017.2 and Excel 2010on a Windows 8.1 system, please use the following STR to successfully replicate the reported issue:

• Open a new Excel workbook. Your focus will most likely land on a1.
  • Type 'hello' in a1.
  • Although arrowing around 'hello' works fine, pressing Shift+left/right arrow results in silence.
    I ensured that Shift+left/right arrow was indeed selecting the correct characters by pressing Ctrl+C and checking the clipboard via NVDA+C.
    By no means would I consider this issue trivial. Thus, I suggesting marking as a P2 or P3. CC @michaelDCurran @feerrenrut

@bhavyashah
Copy link

So far, we know that this issue exists with Excel 2010 but not with Excel 2016. @Qchristensen Would you be able to test this with Excel 2013? @feerrenrut What other information do we require in order to determine a priority for this ticket?

@Qchristensen
Copy link

Using Excel 2016 / 365 - version 1807, build 10325.20082 and NVDA Alpha 15858.949f0bab NVDA is correctly reporting selected text when editing cells in Excel.

Note that as per issue #8146 I have "Allow editing in cells" unchecked (with that setting checked, which is the default, I can't read anything when editing cells, selected or not).

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

This is still reproducible with NVDA 2019.1.1 in Excel 2010. In Excel 2016 / 365 everything works correctly.
cc: @lukaszgo1, @LeonarddeR

@Qchristensen
Copy link

In Excel 365, "Allow editing in cells" can now be checked or unchecked, it works either way.

I don't have Excel 2010, but in Excel 2007, this error still exists with NVDA 2019.1.1. If you edit a cell, you can use the arrows to move through the text and it reads fine, but as soon as you press SHIFT+ARROW, the text gets selected, but NVDA does not report anything. Press NVDA+shift+up arrow to report selected text and NVDA reports "no text selected".

@Adriani90 Adriani90 added the Abandoned requested reports or updates are missing since more than 1 year, author or users are not available. label Mar 30, 2023
@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

End of life for MS Office 2013 is officially on April 11, 2023. Thus I am closing this issue as abandoned since all MS office product versions before 2016 will reach end of life by this date. If you have the same issue in later version of MS Office (beginning with MS office 2016), please open a new issue covering those versions.

@Adriani90 Adriani90 closed this as not planned Won't fix, can't repro, duplicate, stale Mar 30, 2023
@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

Actually, as of MS Excel 365 2303 Build 16.0.16227.20202) it seems NVDA does not report what you select when editing a cell. This happens only with uIA disabled.

I am reopening this one.

@Adriani90 Adriani90 reopened this Mar 30, 2023
@Adriani90 Adriani90 removed the Abandoned requested reports or updates are missing since more than 1 year, author or users are not available. label Mar 30, 2023
@Qchristensen
Copy link

Confirming this is still an issue with
Excel in Office 365 (64-bit) Version: 16.0.16827.20166 running on
Windows 11 (64-bit) Version: 22H2, Build: 22621.2428
using NVDA 2023.3

When the Excel option "Allow editing directly in cells" is checked.

1. Press alt+f, then t to open Excel's options
  2. Press CONTROL+TAB to Advanced (7 times for me)
  3. Press ALT+E to toggle "Allow editing directly in cells" (With this option not checked, selected text is reported correctly).

@Stallon1999
Copy link

In the MS office 2021 also, this issue persist.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

6 participants