Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

baum dm80plus in NVDA latest snapshot is not running #2948

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jan 26, 2013 · 16 comments
Closed

baum dm80plus in NVDA latest snapshot is not running #2948

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jan 26, 2013 · 16 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by ruslan on 2013-01-26 14:29
I would like my braile display baum dm80plus to be running directly in NVDA.
it is running but through BRLTTY.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Attachment nvda.log added by ruslan on 2013-01-26 14:31
Description:
piece ot the NVDA.log

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2013-01-26 22:33
A display and development documentation is required in order to implement support for any display. As a customer of Baum or one of their distributors, perhaps you can ask Baum to provide us with these so we can support your display.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by MHameed on 2013-02-23 11:15
Hi Jamie/Rui,

What I understood from chatting with Ruslan on irc, is that the display is a model that only supports serial/parrallel connection, so he uses a usb to serial adapter.
I for example have a braliant 64, which can be connected via usb or serial, but I think the protocol is the same.

So what Ruslan is requesting is for the baum driver to have serial port options, just like what we have recently implemented for some of the other drivers.

Thanks.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by ragb on 2013-02-23 11:50
Hi Mesar,

Do you know if the display supports the common baum protocol, as supported by supervario displays and others? Or if brltty supports it, and with what driver?. Maybe Roslan can answer these. If the protocol is the same, it is just a matter of adding port selection, in theory.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by ruslan (in reply to comment 3) on 2013-02-23 14:48
Hi ragb!

i don't know whether my display is supported by baum common protocol.
Firma baum didn't reply my request.
I know, my display is running with brltty.
Thank you for help and support!

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by MHameed on 2013-02-23 15:22
Hi Rui, if you can add port selection for baum we can at least try. It should work for my display and hopefully should work for ruslans too. For brltty he doesnt give any extra arguments so it should be running the default baum driver.
I dont have a usb to serial adapter to test, but if needed I will try to find one.
Thanks.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 6 by jteh on 2013-02-24 00:55
For some reason, I thought i read that the DM80plus was a USB display. It seems I was incorrect.

The problem is that there's no single place which documents the common Baum protocol. The documentation Baum provides is slightly different for each type of display, even though it's certainly possible to support them in one driver. I also suspect there is an older Baum protocol which is slightly different. To make matters even more confusing, the BRLTTY Baum driver also supports the other protocols emulated by the Baum displays, which i see no point in supporting in NVDA.

Anyway, I can try implementing support for serial ports in the Baum driver when I get a chance.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 7 by ragb (in reply to comment 6) on 2013-02-24 10:42
Replying to jteh:

For some reason, I thought i read that the DM80plus was a USB display. It seems I was incorrect.

Only documentation I can find about it is in German, which for me is the same as noting :).

The problem is that there's no single place which documents the common Baum protocol. The documentation Baum provides is slightly different for each type of display, even though it's certainly possible to support them in one driver. I also suspect there is an older Baum protocol which is slightly different. To make matters even more confusing, the BRLTTY Baum driver also supports the other protocols emulated by the Baum displays, which i see no point in supporting in NVDA.

By looking at brltty's code I can't tell if dm-80 has any custom code or something. That code is not easy to understand with a quick look though.

Anyway, I can try implementing support for serial ports in the Baum driver when I get a chance.

I recall somehow you own a baum display. is that right? If so it would be easier for you to do that, since at least you can test USB and bluetooth still work as expected. If don't I can try something, but I'm not able to do any testing (if the portuguese Baum dealer acted differently things could by better, but whatever..).

Regards,

Rui Batista

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 8 by ruslan on 2013-02-24 12:36
Hi Rui!
If you have document for my braille in german could you give me a link for downloading?
Thank you very much!
I have no info for my braille.
ruslan.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 9 by jteh on 2013-02-25 00:18
Yes, I own a !HumanWare Brailliant (which is a rebadged Baum !SuperVario).

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 11 by jteh on 2013-03-02 14:02
I added support for serial ports in the baum driver in 4515548. Please test and report.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 12 by ruslan on 2013-03-02 17:03
Hi james!
i have just tested.
but unfortunately it doesn't work.
if i had german documentation i would try to translate into english.
Thank you for help and support.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 13 by jteh (in reply to comment 12) on 2013-11-27 00:48
Replying to ruslan:

i have just tested.

but unfortunately it doesn't work.

Did you select the correct com port in NVDA's Braille Settings dialog?

@bhavyashah
Copy link

The original author of this ticket is now out-of-reach and unfortunately did not respond to @jcsteh's #2948 (comment) either. @jcsteh Do we have resources, contacts or technical information sufficient to work on this issue further?

@jcsteh
Copy link
Contributor

jcsteh commented Aug 15, 2017

We do have contacts at Baum, but without current interest from users, I don't think pursuing this has any practical benefit. I'm closing this for now, but we can reconsider opening discussions with Baum should user interest arise.

@LeonarddeR
Copy link
Collaborator

As far as I know, this display is no longer shipped.

@jcsteh jcsteh removed their assignment Aug 15, 2017
Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

4 participants