Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

MS Word: Stop NVDA from saying the word "style" before it says the style name. #2952

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jan 30, 2013 · 4 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by jhomme on 2013-01-30 12:30
It takes a bit of extra time to listen to NVDA say the word "style" every time a I navigate onto a new style in MS Word. I would like NVDA to be able to stop saying the word "style" when I navigat in Word. Perhaps the ability to say it or not should be a toggle.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2013-01-30 21:06
I'm concerned that this could cause ambiguity, as a style could conceivably be named with a phrase NVDA uses when describing formatting; e.g. "bold", "superscript", etc. Normally, this won't matter, but it could be a big problem when attempting to configure styles correctly. I don't think a toggle makes sense here; we either do this or we don't.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by jhomme (in reply to comment 1) on 2013-01-31 12:09
Hi,
I think NVDA would say the word normal after it says the word bold, which would indicate, in most cases, that the bold style has ended and the normal style has resumed. Another thing to consider might be that if someone has style name speaking turned off, NVDA wouldn't say any style names in Word. And I'm intentionally keeping the discussion narrowed to Word, because I don't know how NVDA handles style names in other programs. I haven't tried it in Excel, for example. Replying to jteh:

I'm concerned that this could cause ambiguity, as a style could conceivably be named with a phrase NVDA uses when describing formatting; e.g. "bold", "superscript", etc. Normally, this won't matter, but it could be a big problem when attempting to configure styles correctly. I don't think a toggle makes sense here; we either do this or we don't.

@bhavyashah
Copy link

@jcsteh Keeping in mind the original author of this ticket is now out-of-reach, does his #2952 (comment) satisfy your initial concerns? At the least, I agree that introducing a toggle for the discussed behaviour seems unneeded.

@jcsteh
Copy link
Contributor

jcsteh commented Aug 15, 2017

I still think there is a risk of ambiguity here, especially if a lot of different formatting information is being reported. Closing as won't fix.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

3 participants