Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Support reading of html messages in Outlook 2007 and newer #2975

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Feb 9, 2013 · 80 comments
Closed

Support reading of html messages in Outlook 2007 and newer #2975

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Feb 9, 2013 · 80 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by mreiser on 2013-02-09 17:10
Since Outlook2007, it has become nearly impossible to read HTML messages in outlook with nvda and other screen readers. With jaws 14, they are somehow able to virtualize the message so that these messages so that they can be read once again. NVDA should provide a way to do this if possible.
Blocking #1968, #3871, #4187, #4188

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by mdcurran on 2013-02-09 17:14
Not being an Outlook user myself, could you please provide clear details as to what exactly the problem is with reading these messages?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by mreiser on 2013-02-09 17:29
When these messages are encountered, nvda treats the whole message like an embedded object and I'm unable to navigate the message normally. I'm also unable to activate links in messages as well. Tables probably need to be navigable as well. Hope this helps

Mike

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by jteh on 2013-02-09 23:13
I seem to recall that Outlook reads messages using a Microsoft Word viewer, but I'm not certain.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by mreiser on 2013-02-09 23:31
Yes it does. Somehow JAWS was able to virtualize the message despite this but I'm not sure how due to not being a programmer I admit lol.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by jteh on 2013-02-09 23:38
I'm not sure I see why this has to be virtualised, given that we don't virtualise normal Microsoft Word documents. That said, we do need to figure out the issues you are having.

Please explain what you mean by "unable to navigate the message normally". We need exact steps to reproduce, expected results and actual results.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 6 by mreiser on 2013-02-10 01:42
Basically when I try navigating with the arrow keys in an html message, it just shows the message as one embedded object. It says imbedded object followed by a link, and I can't read any other text that's in the message. I will attach an example message I received today. To reproduce, just try navigating around in the message with the arrow keys. NVDA should treat this html message like either a webpage in the virtual buffer or any other type of email message. Hopefully this helps.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Attachment 21 New Jobs Matching computer support.msg added by mreiser on 2013-02-10 21:58
Description:
This is a example html message. I can;t seem to click on any links in the message, as they're all presented on one line. There's also no way to turn screen layout on or off.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 7 by mdcurran on 2013-03-14 04:24
Opening this message in Outlook 2010 I can arrow up, down, left and right through the message.
I see one embedded object at the top inside a link. I can press enter on this link or on any other link in the document and my default web browser opens showing the target page for the link.
This message however is still rather hard to read more so because of all the tables - it becomes very verbose.
Does this match what you see, or is it worse for you?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Attachment NEW Sci-Fi Fantasy Plus Win a Trip to NYC!.msg added by mreiser on 2013-03-19 15:03
Description:
An html message from audible.com

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 8 by travisroth on 2013-09-04 16:45
That is correct; Outlook 2010 and 2013 (and I believe 2007 but I do not have that here) use Microsoft Word as the HTML viewer. This is fine if the message is very simple HTML. However, most messages that use HTML also use many layers of formatting tables, ending up with a nested mess.
This is why virtualizing it another way makes it much more efficient. It is possible to have Outlook open the message in a browser, which gets around the problem, but it is slow and inefficient.
I have managed to retrieve the HTML of a message in Outlook 2010 using the Microsoft Outlook COM object. E.g.,
HTMLBody = nativeOm.ActiveExplorer().Selection(1).HTMLBody
However, I still need a way to virtualize it, such as by embedding a ActiveX control of Internet Explorer. Wx appears to have the ActiveX control but I do not believe it is packaged in NVDA as wx.lib does not seem importable in the NVDA Python console.
(On an aside, in 64-bit Windows, and/or with Outlook 2010 and newer, one needs to use the comHelper.getActiveObject() method to get the nativeOm, which the current Outlook scripts do not do. I suppose this should be filed as a separate issue as well.)

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 9 by csm120 (in reply to comment 8) on 2013-09-08 01:31
Replying to travisroth:
I think for me part of the problem is that once you get into an embedded object you cannot easily ghet out of it and begin reading the message again. I think at the very least, it would be helpful to suppress speaking of embedded objects or have an option that can be toggled. This is especially difficult when you have a swarm of these in very close proximity. When text is interspersed between the embedded objects it makes navigating the message very difficult sometimes.

That is correct; Outlook 2010 and 2013 (and I believe 2007 but I do not have that here) use Microsoft Word as the HTML viewer. This is fine if the message is very simple HTML. However, most messages that use HTML also use many layers of formatting tables, ending up with a nested mess.

This is why virtualizing it another way makes it much more efficient. It is possible to have Outlook open the message in a browser, which gets around the problem, but it is slow and inefficient.

I have managed to retrieve the HTML of a message in Outlook 2010 using the Microsoft Outlook COM object. E.g.,

HTMLBody = nativeOm.ActiveExplorer().Selection(1).HTMLBody

However, I still need a way to virtualize it, such as by embedding a ActiveX control of Internet Explorer. Wx appears to have the ActiveX control but I do not believe it is packaged in NVDA as wx.lib does not seem importable in the NVDA Python console.

(On an aside, in 64-bit Windows, and/or with Outlook 2010 and newer, one needs to use the comHelper.getActiveObject() method to get the nativeOm, which the current Outlook scripts do not do. I suppose this should be filed as a separate issue as well.)

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 13 by mdcurran on 2014-08-29 06:14
Started working on this in branch t2975. You can now press NVDA+space to activate a special review treeInterceptor which forces up and down arrow to use a much more predictable line movement which hopefully no longer skips past things like MS Word's own implementation. E.g. it will go across cells in a table, rather than straight down.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 17 by mdcurran on 2014-11-05 07:10
I have made a try build available:
http://community.nvda-project.org/try/t2975/nvda_snapshot_try-t2975-10526,6f6738f.exe

This work so far includes:

• Optional browse mode for Microsoft Word. Press NVDA+space to switch to browse mode. Press NVDA+space again to switch back to focus mode.
  • While in browse mode:
    • Arrow keys will move through the document as normal, however when in tables cells to the right of the cursor will not be skipped. Thus it is possible to read the entire document just by pressing down arrow.
    • Quick navigation keys, and the Elements List are available in browse mode.
      • Available quick navigation keys are: h for heading, 1 through 6 for heading levels, k for link, g for graphic, t for table, and a for annotation (revisions, comments).
    • The elements list can show links, headings, and annotations (revisions and comments).
  • In Microsoft Outlook 2007 and above, browse mode is on by default when reading emails, but not writing them.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 18 by surfer0627 on 2014-11-05 08:57
Hi
I tested it on office 2010.

Does this feature support that user press "comma" to move past the end of the container (list, table.)?
In UserGuide, if we need to add descriptions like:
In browse mode, if user press non-command gestures "a, j, w, etc", it will edit the document.

Thanks.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 19 by surfer0627 on 2014-11-06 02:09
Test browse mode on word2010:

In a document with 4 pages, braille display movement is a little bit slow than speech.

In a big document with more than 500 pages, speech and braille work slow.

I'm not sure that if developers plan to limit the document page for this feature?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 20 by netblue on 2014-11-06 18:44
Hi Mic, I just tested the build on word 2013, and i did not find new ishues than those reported.
I also tested powerpoint in regards to ticket 4475, but nvda still crashes when exitting powerpoint without saving chainges to the document.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 21 by netblue (in reply to comment 17) on 2014-11-11 14:46
Replying to mdcurran:

I have made a try build available:

http://community.nvda-project.org/try/t2975/nvda_snapshot_try-t2975-10526,6f6738f.exe

This work so far includes:

• Optional browse mode for Microsoft Word. Press NVDA+space to switch to browse mode. Press NVDA+space again to switch back to focus mode.
  • While in browse mode:
    • Arrow keys will move through the document as normal, however when in tables cells to the right of the cursor will not be skipped. Thus it is possible to read the entire document just by pressing down arrow.
    • Quick navigation keys, and the Elements List are available in browse mode.
      • Available quick navigation keys are: h for heading, 1 through 6 for heading levels, k for link, g for graphic, t for table, and a for annotation (revisions, comments).
    • The elements list can show links, headings, and annotations (revisions and comments).
  • In Microsoft Outlook 2007 and above, browse mode is on by default when reading emails, but not writing them.

Hi Mic when using this build on office 2013, and in browse mode, navigation by heddings in the elements list does not work. Navigation thrue links works fine. There still is a significant lag when using the down erro to navigate. This is whith say all and reading by line. All other functiones seams to work fine so far.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 22 by mdcurran (in reply to comment 21) on 2014-11-11 14:51
Replying to netblue:
If headings don't work in the elements list, do the h and shift+h quick nav commands work?
Most likely the elements list, and the quick nav commands are throwing an error which will appear in your log. If there is one, could you please provide the log?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 23 by mdcurran on 2014-11-11 15:01
Here is a new try build:
http://community.nvda-project.org/try/t2975/nvda_snapshot_try-t2975-10528,6dad12e.exe

Performance of moving by line (up and down arrows) should be significantly improved. Please confirm this.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 24 by netblue (in reply to comment 22) on 2014-11-11 15:35
Replying to mdcurran:

Replying to netblue:

If headings don't work in the elements list, do the h and shift+h quick nav commands work?

Most likely the elements list, and the quick nav commands are throwing an error which will appear in your log. If there is one, could you please provide the log?

The keys h and shift+h works fine
In latest build, navigation with erro keys is faster but not as fast as when in normal mode.
In browse mode the read by paragraph, CTRL+down erro has a significant lag. CTRL+up erro works fine.

See log

INFO - main (09:17:52):
Starting NVDA
INFO - core.main (09:17:52):
Config dir: C:\Users\ZelvinWilson\AppData\Roaming\nvda
NVDA version try-t2975-10528,6dad12e
Using Windows version sys.getwindowsversion(major=6, minor=1, build=7601, platform=2, service_pack='Service Pack 1')
Using Python version 2.7.8 (default, Jun 30 2014, 16:03:49) v.1500 32 bit (Intel)
Using comtypes version 0.6.2
INFO - synthDriverHandler.setSynth (09:17:53):
Loaded synthDriver sapi5
INFO - core.main (09:17:53):
Using wx version 2.8.12.1 (msw-unicode)
INFO - braille.initialize (09:17:53):
Using liblouis version 2.6.0
INFO - braille.BrailleHandler.setDisplayByName (09:17:53):
Loaded braille display driver noBraille, current display has 0 cells.
INFO - brailleInput.initialize (09:17:53):
Braille input initialized
INFO - core.main (09:17:53):
NVDA initialized
INFO - external:synthDrivers.eloquence.SynthDriver.init (09:17:59):
Using Eloquence version 6.1.0.0
INFO - synthDriverHandler.setSynth (09:17:59):
Loaded synthDriver eloquence
IO - speech.speak (09:18:15):
Speaking [('es_ME'), u'Manual SEPRODISGRAAS Modo de compatibilidad - Microsoft Word']
Speaking [('es_ME'), u'Manual SEPRODISGRAAS Modo de compatibilidad']
Speaking ('es_ME'), u'Documento de Microsoft Word Cuadro de Edici\xf3n multi l\xednea'
Speaking ('es_ME'), u'encabezado nivel 1', u'p\xe1gina 5', u'IV COORDINACI\xd3N INSTITUCIONAL'
DEBUGWARNING - IAccessibleHandler.accessibleObjectFromEvent (09:18:15):
oleacc.AccessibleObjectFromEvent with window 459616, objectID 213 and childID 0: -2147467259 Error no especificado
IO - inputCore.InputManager.executeGesture (09:18:17):
Input: kb(laptop):NVDA+space
IO - inputCore.InputManager.executeGesture (09:18:19):
Input: kb(laptop):NVDA+f7
IO - speech.speak (09:18:19):
Speaking de Elementos di\xe1logo'
Speaking en \xe1rbol'
Speaking 0 Denominaci\xf3n del cargo \t: Responsable de Departamento de Inserci\xf3n Laboral 20 de 20'
IO - inputCore.InputManager.executeGesture (09:18:21):
Input: kb(laptop):tab
IO - speech.speak (09:18:21):
Speaking por: Cuadro de Edici\xf3n Alt+f'
IO - speech.speak (09:18:21):
Speaking blanco'
IO - inputCore.InputManager.executeGesture (09:18:21):
IO - speech.speak (09:18:22):
Speaking bot\xf3n Alt+a'
IO - inputCore.InputManager.executeGesture (09:18:22):
IO - speech.speak (09:18:22):
Speaking a bot\xf3n Alt+m'
IO - inputCore.InputManager.executeGesture (09:18:23):
IO - speech.speak (09:18:23):
Speaking bot\xf3n'
IO - inputCore.InputManager.executeGesture (09:18:24):
IO - speech.speak (09:18:24):
Speaking agrupaci\xf3n'
IO - speech.speak (09:18:24):
Speaking bot\xf3n de opci\xf3n verificado Alt+e'
IO - inputCore.InputManager.executeGesture (09:18:25):
Input: kb(laptop):downArrow
IO - speech.speak (09:18:26):
Speaking bot\xf3n de opci\xf3n verificado Alt+c'
IO - inputCore.InputManager.executeGesture (09:18:27):
IO - speech.speak (09:18:27):
Speaking en \xe1rbol'
IO - speech.speak (09:18:28):
Speaking COORDINACI\xd3N INSTITUCIONAL 4 de 9 nivel 0'
IO - inputCore.InputManager.executeGesture (09:18:29):
Input: kb(laptop):upArrow
IO - speech.speak (09:18:29):
Speaking ESTRUCTURA ORGANIZATIVA (ORGANIGRAMA) DE LA SEPRODIS 3 de 9 nivel 0'
IO - inputCore.InputManager.executeGesture (09:18:30):
IO - speech.speak (09:18:30):
Speaking ANTECEDENTES INSTITUCIONALES 2 de 9 nivel 0'
IO - inputCore.InputManager.executeGesture (09:18:30):
IO - speech.speak (09:18:31):
Speaking INTRODUCCI\xd3N 1 de 9 nivel 0'
IO - inputCore.InputManager.executeGesture (09:18:32):
Input: kb(laptop):enter
IO - speech.speak (09:18:32):
Speaking [('es_ME'), u'Manual SEPRODISGRAAS Modo de compatibilidad - Microsoft Word']
DEBUGWARNING - IAccessibleHandler.accessibleObjectFromEvent (09:18:32):
oleacc.AccessibleObjectFromEvent with window 459616, objectID 215 and childID 0: -2147467259 Error no especificado
Speaking [('es_ME'), u'Manual SEPRODISGRAAS Modo de compatibilidad']
Speaking ('es_ME'), u'Documento de Microsoft Word Cuadro de Edici\xf3n multi l\xednea'
Speaking ('es_ME'), u'encabezado nivel 1', u'p\xe1gina 5', u'IV COORDINACI\xd3N INSTITUCIONAL'
ERROR - unhandled exception (09:18:32):
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "wx_misc.pyc", line 1358, in Notify
File "wx_core.pyc", line 14771, in Notify
File "browseMode.pyc", line 746, in move
File "browseMode.pyc", line 146, in moveTo
File "scriptHandler.pyc", line 144, in willSayAllResume
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'wasInSayAll'
DEBUGWARNING - IAccessibleHandler.accessibleObjectFromEvent (09:18:32):
oleacc.AccessibleObjectFromEvent with window 459616, objectID 217 and childID 0: -2147467259 Error no especificado
IO - inputCore.InputManager.executeGesture (09:18:35):
IO - speech.speak (09:18:35):
Speaking ('es_ME'), u'p\xe1gina 4', u'en blanco'
IO - inputCore.InputManager.executeGesture (09:18:36):
IO - speech.speak (09:18:36):
IO - inputCore.InputManager.executeGesture (09:18:39):
Input: kb(laptop):NVDA+n
IO - speech.speak (09:18:39):
Speaking ('es_ME'), u'NVDA men\xfa'
IO - inputCore.InputManager.executeGesture (09:18:40):
IO - speech.speak (09:18:40):
Speaking ('es_ME'), u'Preferencias subMen\xfa p'
IO - inputCore.InputManager.executeGesture (09:18:40):
IO - speech.speak (09:18:40):
Speaking ('es_ME'), u'Herramientas subMen\xfa h'
IO - inputCore.InputManager.executeGesture (09:18:42):
Input: kb(laptop):rightArrow
IO - speech.speak (09:18:42):
Speaking ('es_ME'), u'Ver registro v'
IO - inputCore.InputManager.executeGesture (09:18:43):
Input: kb(laptop):enter

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 25 by travisroth on 2014-11-11 19:59
Hello,
Using the latest Try build and Outlook 2013, on a HTML message received from Audible today about the latest new books, when I read the message by pressing the down arrow, NVDA reports that there are tables in the message. NVDA does not read the content of the message, however.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 26 by surfer0627 on 2014-11-12 01:34
Hi,
Yes, speech performance of moving by line improved. It performs well, even in a big document with more than 500 pages.

However, braille performance of moving by line is still lag.

Thanks.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Attachment test1.rtf added by ondrosik on 2014-11-12 15:25
Description:
RTF file where you can see, that NVDA shows all headings correctly.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Attachment test2.rtf added by ondrosik on 2014-11-12 15:26
Description:
Document where are 6 lines with headings, but NVDA ignores the first one.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 27 by ondrosik on 2014-11-12 15:30
I noticed interesting behaviour regarding headings. When the document starts with a heading, NVDA will ignore this heading so in the elements list, you can see only the secondone and so on (see file test2.rtf). But if there is some text (for example one line) before the heading, NVDA treat all headings correctly (see test1.rtf). In both cases, all headings are displayed correctly when using h and shift+h.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 29 by netblue on 2014-11-14 15:20
Please post the download link for the latest build.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 30 by mdcurran (in reply to comment 25) on 2014-11-18 06:22
Replying to travisroth:
Does browse mode not work in Outlook 2014 just for that one message, or for all messages you test? For me In Outlook 2013, browse mode is available.
Please test again and press NVDA+f1 while in the document and provide me with the developer info in the log.
Also, what happens if you press NVDA+space while in the message? do you get browse mode?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 31 by mdcurran on 2014-11-18 06:26
Here is another try build:
http://community.nvda-project.org/try/t2975/nvda_snapshot_try-t2975-10533,3f7db76.exe

Changes:

• Fixed error when pressing Move to in the Elements list for MS Word.
  • The first item of the document is no longer skipped in the Elements List for MS Word. I.e. all headings are shown rather than skipping the first one.
  • All gestures (such as key presses) that are not a NVDA command or possible application command are trapped while in browse mode, so that you don't accidentilly type into the document. This can be turned off in Browse Mode settings.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 32 by surfer0627 on 2014-11-18 06:26
MS Word browseMode: review cursor could not track focus cursor correctly.

Reproduce:

1. Open application Word2010
  2. Type one word "change"
  3. Press NVDA+space to switch to browse mode.
  4. Press home to move to the start of line
  5. Press numpad2 twice to report character description.
    NVDA reports: charlie
  6. Press right arrow one time.
  7. Press numpad2 twice
    NVDA still reports: charlie
    expected: NVDA reports: hotel
    Thanks.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 33 by travisroth (in reply to comment 30) on 2014-11-20 16:34
Replying to mdcurran:
Testing with the latest Try build:
I had the same issue at first. Then I pressed NVDA+Space and NVDA beeped and then browse mode worked because the message was readable. So it appears that NVDA was not set to browse mode automatically at first. Perhaps this is by design and my expectations were wrong? I then switched between a few messages, including some plain text, and for the HTML messages, browse mode remained on.
So it could have been me misunderstanding what to expect with the first time an HTML message is encountered?
Overall I like this feature now, really helps handle those pesky HTML messages in Outlook.

Replying to travisroth:

Does browse mode not work in Outlook 2014 just for that one message, or for all messages you test? For me In Outlook 2013, browse mode is available.

Please test again and press NVDA+f1 while in the document and provide me with the developer info in the log.

Also, what happens if you press NVDA+space while in the message? do you get browse mode?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 72 by mdcurran (in reply to comment 71) on 2015-01-14 21:52
Replying to mreiser:
If I understand you correctly, this issue occurs in current stable (2014.4) and was therefore not caused by this ticket and you should create a new one.
If I am incorrect and it is definitely specific to this ticket then I'll take a look.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 73 by mdcurran (in reply to comment 70) on 2015-01-14 21:54
Replying to netblue:
Thanks for reporting those issues.
Some of them I can fix, but the tab key one is tricky as tab enters a tab character, moves between table cells, and moves between form fields, depending on the current situation.
I'll think on this one.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 74 by Michael Curran <mick@... on 2015-01-15 02:30
In [1401768]:

MS Word browse mode: for now at least, disable the tab key from doing anything as this is better than accidentally typing in the document. Re #2975

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 75 by Michael Curran <mick@... on 2015-01-15 02:36
In [45b6c85]:

MS Word browse mode: fix ecception when pressing space or enter on text that cannot be activated (currently anything that is not a link). Re #2975

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 76 by Michael Curran <mick@... on 2015-01-15 02:56
In [08d7d60]:

MS Word browse mode: when focusing an existing MS Word browse mode document, ensure that braille is updated to show the treeInterceptor, not the underlying NVDAObject. Allows braille cursor tracking when focus jumps inside of an MS Word browse mode document with out having to turn on passThrough and turn it off again. Re #2975

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 77 by mdcurran (in reply to comment 69) on 2015-01-15 03:03
Replying to surfer0627:
If I am in an MS word document and I then turn on browse mode, I can successfully use control+alt+arrows in a table and braille definitely updates for me. However, the commands do not work if I move away from the document while browse mode is enabled and move back again. Braille gets confused.
I have fixed this in 08d7d60.
Please let me know if this works for you. Hopefully this was the issue.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 78 by surfer0627 (in reply to comment 77) on 2015-01-20 07:34
Replying to mdcurran:
Yes, just like you said: In MS Word browse mode (table nav), Braille definitely updates for me.

I got the same result: the commands do not work if I move away from the document while browse mode is enabled and move back again. Braille gets confused.

In table navigation, if I press down arrow to move to next column, and press ctrl+alt+arrows. Braille also gets confused.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 79 by netblue (in reply to comment 78) on 2015-01-20 14:29
Hi Mic, in browse mode in latest snap, when navigating back and forth thru a list of links with the letter K, NVDA does not move to the following nor previous link. Also when doing the same thing with the up and down arrow keys, VDA moves to the links but announces them as plain text instead of links. Another thing is that all around navigation is now a lot slower especially when using control down arrow. When pressing enter or space bar from a list of links, NVDA still does not announce the part of the document that is moved to. The tab key and spacebar seems to be working correctly.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 80 by leonarddr on 2015-02-13 21:30
The browse mode option "Maximum number of characters on one line" doesn't work in browse mode for Word.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 81 by jteh on 2015-02-13 21:33
That's because in Word, we use the actual lines on screen, which is usually more desirable in a word processor document. Nevertheless, it should be documented somehow that this setting doesn't apply here.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 82 by leonarddr on 2015-02-17 12:18
I've experienced several problems with browse mode in Word protected view. I downloaded a file from the web which opened in protected view. Using the arrow keys in the normal Word view didn't allow me to navigate, which seems to be a Word restriction. Browse mode gave me the following error though:
IO - inputCore.InputManager.executeGesture (13:14:54): Input: kb(laptop):upArrow ERROR - scriptHandler.executeScript (13:14:54): error executing script: <bound method WordDocumentTreeInterceptor.script_moveByLine_back of <NVDAObjects.window.winword.WordDocumentTreeInterceptor object at 0x04E32CD0>> with gesture u'up arrow' Traceback (most recent call last): File "scriptHandler.pyc", line 176, in executeScript File "cursorManager.pyc", line 187, in script_moveByLine_back File "cursorManager.pyc", line 110, in _caretMovementScriptHelper File "NVDAObjects\window\winword.pyc", line 806, in collapse File "NVDAObjects\window\winword.pyc", line 692, in collapse RuntimeError
It is actually quite hard to reproduce this, but will try to find a way.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 83 by leonarddr on 2015-06-15 09:56
Another thing which seems a bug to me, it is possible to delete text in browse mode, either with delete or backspacbe.

@nvaccessAuto nvaccessAuto added this to the 2015.1 milestone Nov 10, 2015
michaelDCurran added a commit that referenced this issue Nov 23, 2015
Specifically:
* Provide table navigation scripts to the MS Word TreeInterceptor, which makes use of the existing table navigation code, but ensures braille is notified that the treeInterceptor's caret moved. This means that braille is correctly updated when moving with control+alt+arrows in a table in browse mode in MS word.
 * Provide a tab script on the MS Word treeInterceptor which again makes use of the underlying code, but ensures braille is notified of the treeInterceptor's caret update.
* Fix a typo in the original MS Word document tab script which was causing braille not to be updated at all (handleCaretMove takes an object, not a TextInfo).
* GlobalCommands's toggleVirtualBufferPassThrough script: ensure that braille is notified if a treeInterceptor is created and it is defaulting to browse mode. this allows braille to correctly update when switching to browse mode in MS word for the first time.
… anything as this is better than accidentally typing in the document. Re #2975
…xt that cannot be activated (currently anything that is not a link). Re #2975
…cument, ensure that braille is updated to show the treeInterceptor, not the underlying NVDAObject. Allows braille cursor tracking when focus jumps inside of an MS Word browse mode document with out having to turn on passThrough and turn it off again. Re #2975
Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

2 participants