Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

An ability to report Unicode name of a currently selected character #2992

Open
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Feb 13, 2013 · 6 comments
Open

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by a11cf0.vk on 2013-02-13 14:20
It would be helpful to have an ability to report Unicode name of a currently selected character.
NVDA already can report Unicode number of a selected character, but cannot report a Unicode name.
For example, this function can be used to identify characters unracagnized by the activ synthesizer.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by Ahiiron on 2013-02-15 15:03
My Emoji/other Unicode dictionary kinda sorta fixes this, though there's a lot missing and it's intentional, such as Cyrillic and other chars that would interfere with synthesizers in nonEnglish languages.
http://alex.thebinaryportal.net/uls/symbols-en.zip

@bhavyashah
Copy link

There is discussion about supporting Unicode Emojis elsewhere. Does that feature request corelate to or duplicate this one?

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

@LeonarddeR your thoughts are here very appreciated. Thanks.

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

I would love to see an implementation for this. It would help a lot when implementing mathematical and scientific alphanumeric symbols in NVDA to solve issues where NVDA cannot read mathematical texts and equations where symbols are set directly in the editor. Having the ability to report unicode names on demand would make implementation much easier. See #14781 for more details.

If the user is able to call the unicode name by a command, then I could implement the alphanumeric symbols with a usual reporting and the complete mathematical term from unicode name could be retrieved via nvda+dot if needed.
For example NVDA could report "a" on a small doublestruck a when navigating but the user can ask for the complete name of the character if needed for mathematical or scientific context.
This would eliminate the need for considering the formating of the alphanumeric character in the nvda+f command.

@CyrilleB79
Copy link
Collaborator

The next version of Character Information add-on (almost ready) should allow to customize what is reported upon second, third and fourth press on Numpad2. Among the available information, you will be able to report unicode Name. This information will also be reported when navigating to next/previous character with the review cursor.

Feel free to ping me if you have no news from this new version in a month or two.

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

@CyrilleB79 this addon is very useful. May I ask if you plan to add the reporting of unicode name for the character to NVDA core? this would be really handy.
I propose also a change for the shortcut keys in NVDA.
Laptop keyboard layout:

• nvda+;,;;dot = character is reported according to symbols.dic description. Pressing twice reports the character fonetic description
  • NvDA+comma = character unicode name is reported, pressing twice reports the html hex and decimal entity.
    Desktop keyboard layout:
  • numpad2 = character is reported according to symbols.dic description. Pressing twice reports the character fonetic description
  • ctrl+numpad2 = character unicode name is reported, pressing twice reports the html hex and decimal entity.

This will make sure users can call very fast the complete information on the mathematical alphanumeric character when needed to hear its formating after implementing my proposal referenced above.
So this would make reading mathematical and scientific publications possible at all, as well as working with most equations built in MS Word via the Word's symbols dialog. Reading such content will become much more fluent.

Also the option to have the unicode name spoken when navigating with the review cursor is useful, but often people want to use the review cursor for regions which differ from the system caret so this should definitely be optional and it is probably ok to still keep it in the addon rather than the core. But maybe this option can also be added to the core at a later stage.

My plan is to also go for similar approaches with musical characters, and also some natural science stuff if we see that the mathematical stuff works well.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

4 participants