Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

NVDA causes duplicate letters in words typed with onscreen keyboard #2998

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Feb 16, 2013 · 5 comments
Closed
Labels
Abandoned requested reports or updates are missing since more than 1 year, author or users are not available. bug

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by hand2mouth on 2013-02-16 20:05
I type using an onscreen keyboard with word prediction and also require auditory feedback. My keyboard is the freeware Virtual Keyboard 3.2 from the University of Lleida running on Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. Its word prediction automatically inserts a space after the selected word. When I choose a word prediction after typing a few letters, NVDA causes the word to appear with duplicate letters and backspaces the last letter, like this: I tytyp. I typed this message using Microsoft's onscreen keyboard, which works with NVDA but is excruciatingly slow and doesn't meet my needs. I can't afford the commercial onscreen keyboard programs. I realize that onscreen keyboard users probably aren't a big user group, but if there were a way to make NVDA compatible with other onscreen keyboards, that would be wonderful.

@LeonarddeR
Copy link
Collaborator

@josephsl: Do you have experience with on screen keyboards?

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

@josephsl, your ghoughts on this issue are very appreciated. Thanks.

@Adriani90 Adriani90 reopened this May 2, 2020
@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

@josephsl is this something which you could investigate in your win10 apps saddon?

@josephsl
Copy link
Collaborator

josephsl commented May 2, 2020

Hi,

The only experience I have with on-screen PC keyboards is touch keyboard in Windows 8 and later. If this can be addressed with an add-on, the correct add-on would be Enhanced Touch Gestures.

On Windows 8 and later, provided that one is using touch keyboard, one way to prevent (or minimize) this issue is turning off touch typing (available from touch interaction category provided that the computer is equipped with a touchscreen). This means users should perform one finger double tap to enter keys using the touch keyboard.

I think it would be better if the original poster can respond to this, or a Windows 7 user using the mentioned keyboard software can respond to this issue. If not, I think it might be time to put this issue to rest unless someone says no, as we haven't heard from the original poster for seven years.

Thanks.

@Adriani90 Adriani90 added the Abandoned requested reports or updates are missing since more than 1 year, author or users are not available. label Mar 30, 2023
@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

We didn't get any updates from the initial author since many years. Meanwhile the situation might have significantly changed. I am closing this one as abandoned. Feel free to comment if you still have this issue and we can reopen.

@Adriani90 Adriani90 closed this as not planned Won't fix, can't repro, duplicate, stale Mar 30, 2023
Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Labels
Abandoned requested reports or updates are missing since more than 1 year, author or users are not available. bug
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

5 participants