Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

The KMPlayer :a VideoPlayer maybe can help Nvda to read the Subtitles #3002

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Feb 18, 2013 · 8 comments
Closed

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by alyabani94 on 2013-02-18 12:36
Hello
i requested for a weak ago about supporting reading the subtitles on videoes with Nvda
i looked for a way that i can help you somehow to do it
i found a VideoPlayer called KMPlayer
http://www.kmpmedia.net/
maybe it will help Nvda to read the subtitles if you create an compatible or add an add-ons for it
because there are some options are interesting
on the Options menu
the options are
TTS: Read Subtitle but this option doesn't work when i activate it
TTS: Read Message when i activate this option the default speech of the Windows is speak it's the Sapi 5's speech
TTS: Read Title on Play Start it's the same thing with the TTS: Read Message
I hope this can help somehow to read the Subtitles with Nvda
and thanks

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by k_kolev1985 on 2013-02-18 20:06
Hello,

In what language are the subtitles loaded with the video? Because, if they are in a language not supported by the currently used TTS engine, they will be not read aloud (because the current TTS (voice) can't read them).

Do they actually show on the screen? If not showing on the screen, they will not be read by the TTS engine. The toggle of showing/hiding subtitles is done via Alt+X while KMPlayer is in focus and if reading aloud of messages is turned on, you should here "Show subtitles". If you here "Hide subtitles" after pressing Alt+X, press it again.

To select a diffrent TTS engine (voice), press F2 from within KMPlayer, tab twice to go to the tree-view of options categories, from there select "Subtitle processing" and if you here "collapsed", press right arrow to expand it. Then down arrow to the fourth item (i think it's called "Languages/TTS"), tab twice to go to the group of tabs (pages) of settings and press right arrow to select the tab "Text-To-Speech". Then tab a few times until you reach the first combo-box in this area. From within this combo-box, you can select from any SAPI5 voice that you have on your system to be used in KMPlayer for the reading aloud of subtitles and on-screen messages. The next 2 controls are sliders. The first one controls the voice speed, and the 2nd one - its volume.

And yes - I think that thanks to its API, KMPlayer can be made to output the subtitles of a video to some other application (including NVDA). Actually, something similar has been done via an external application called "VoiSub". It takes the video subtitles from KMPlayer (Winamp is also supported) and gives them to the system default SAPI5 TTS engine (voice) or to the currently active screen reader. It supports NVDA as well. Here's the website from witch you can read more and download "VoiSub":
http://www.vortex.im/en/index.htm
Hope it helps.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by alyabani94 (in reply to comment 1) on 2013-02-19 00:06
Hello
Thanks a lot k_kolev1985
i tried what you advised me to do and it worked correctly
the Subtitles on that video that couldn't read it it was in English
let me tell you the details
i found on Subtitle Processing tree-view "collapsed" it was really the foutfourth item it called :Multi-Sub/etc: then i tapped twice to Text To Speech tap then i found the settings of the speech as usuall voice speed etc
i noticed in order to be able to read the subtitles the file format has to be .MKV and not another format even if you try to convert to .MKV it wouldn't work it has to be the original file .mkv.if the file was on .FLV,MP4 or even .RMVB it wouldn't read it i don't why is that
maybe the quality of the video or the Font Style/Font Size
i hope this issue can be solved in the future because you can't find .MKV that much or when you find it you will find the file was deleted from the File sharing websites
about the VoiSub i know this program i have researched a lot online about Screen Reader reads the subtitles
i tried it but it from my trying it was impractical for me i have some notes about it but i couldn't contact the developer of it because of the E-mail Address of it it didn't accept my message.
I hope Nvda will read it the subtitles in all video formats
i am so grateful i am so happy thanks a lot Nvda thanks a lot k_kolev1985 Replying to k_kolev1985:

Hello,

In what language are the subtitles loaded with the video? Because, if they are in a language not supported by the currently used TTS engine, they will be not read aloud (because the current TTS (voice) can't read them).

Do they actually show on the screen? If not showing on the screen, they will not be read by the TTS engine. The toggle of showing/hiding subtitles is done via Alt+X while KMPlayer is in focus and if reading aloud of messages is turned on, you should here "Show subtitles". If you here "Hide subtitles" after pressing Alt+X, press it again.

To select a diffrent TTS engine (voice), press F2 from within KMPlayer, tab twice to go to the tree-view of options categories, from there select "Subtitle processing" and if you here "collapsed", press right arrow to expand it. Then down arrow to the fourth item (i think it's called "Languages/TTS"), tab twice to go to the group of tabs (pages) of settings and press right arrow to select the tab "Text-To-Speech". Then tab a few times until you reach the first combo-box in this area. From within this combo-box, you can select from any SAPI5 voice that you have on your system to be used in KMPlayer for the reading aloud of subtitles and on-screen messages. The next 2 controls are sliders. The first one controls the voice speed, and the 2nd one - its volume.

And yes - I think that thanks to its API, KMPlayer can be made to output the subtitles of a video to some other application (including NVDA). Actually, something similar has been done via an external application called "VoiSub". It takes the video subtitles from KMPlayer (Winamp is also supported) and gives them to the system default SAPI5 TTS engine (voice) or to the currently active screen reader. It supports NVDA as well. Here's the website from witch you can read more and download "VoiSub":

http://www.vortex.im/en/index.htm

Hope it helps.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by k_kolev1985 on 2013-02-19 07:38
Hello,

Actually, in order for the subtitles to be read aloud, they have to be in text and not graphic format (in most cases - the external subtitles are in text (srt, sub, etc.) format). But in most cases, the embedded into the video subtitles are in graphic format and they can't be read. Use external (srt, sub, etc.) subtitles to make sure they will be read aloud.

The video format doesn't matter. You've noticed that about MKV files, because most of the videos with embedded subtitles are MKV format.

@ehollig
Copy link
Collaborator

ehollig commented Aug 11, 2017

This sounds similar to the request in #2797

@jcsteh jcsteh removed their assignment Sep 5, 2017
@josephsl
Copy link
Collaborator

josephsl commented Jan 5, 2019

Hi,

Two things: are there any updates to this, and can we contact the original poster?

CC @k-kolev1985

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

cc: @nvdaes, @javidominguez

@smythp
Copy link

smythp commented Sep 26, 2019

Does anyone have any insights into the kmplayer bug introduced after version 3.7 that makes the TTS repeat? I can roll back to an earlier version but then some newer videos won't play.

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

I cannot download the KM Player for Windows from the website.
However, automatic OCR recognition has been introduced to NVDA 2023.3 so the subtitles can be read via the automatic OCR recognition. Closing as works for me.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

6 participants