Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Move virtual buffer position to mouse position in browse mode feature #3004

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Feb 18, 2013 · 6 comments
Closed

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by falinn.onda on 2013-02-18 21:14
I think it will be very useful to enable users to move virtual buffer position to mouse position in browse mode.
For example, if one uses firefox to read a webpage, letting the user put the mouse on a certain element on the page and press a keyboard shortcut, so that the current position in the virtual buffer is set to this element. The keyboard navigation can be used from that point on.

In many web pages it is difficult to locate desired element only by keyboard and for those of us who can use mouse to locate the item, such feature will be very helpful.

If it is technically problematic, please consider adding this feature in the following way: adding a keyboard shortcut that when pressed copies the text under the mouse into the NVDA search dialog and search for the first occurrence of this text. In this way you can achieve a similar capability in most cases where the text is unique.

BTW. i tried using NVDA+numpadmultiply for this but it did not work for me on firefox.

Thanks

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by ateu on 2013-02-18 22:06
NVDA already does this. Move mouse to review cursor with NVDA+numpad slash or NVDA+shift+m if you are on a laptop then click with the mouse using the appropriated command.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by falinn.onda on 2013-02-19 07:12
Great!
However i did not manage to follow your instructions successfully.

NVDA+numpad slash on my user guide is "Move mouse to current navigator object" (assuming you mean divide by slash) and left mouse click is numpadDivide.
Trying to follow your instructions i click NVDA+numpaddivide and then move the mouse to a place on the user guide page and then click numpaddivide. Afterwards i tried reading using numpad5 and NVDA+uparrow, but it doesn't read the place my mouse was placed on. It is still where the focus was at the beginning (the first line of the page)
actually NVDA+numpaddivide moced my mouse.
I also tried using NVDA+numpadmultiply with no success.

I'm using Firefox 18.0.2 on win 7.
For this test i used NVDA 2012.3.1.

What am i doing wrong?

Thanks...

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by jteh on 2013-02-20 23:35
Clicking the mouse will activate the object, not move the cursor there. The best you can do right now is move the review cursor to the mouse position in the document by pressing NVDA+numpadMultiply and then NVDA+numpad7. You can then use the text review commands to read the surrounding text.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by falinn.onda on 2013-02-22 08:37
Thanks for your help! it works with flat review as you suggested.

The only thing missing is moving the browse focus there so you will be able to use single letter navigation and continue from there.
I would appreciate it if you would consider adding this feature.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by julien on 2015-08-26 12:46
As mentioned in [the proper key combination sequence is as follows:

• NVDA+multiply = Navigate to the object under the mouse
  • NVDA+shift+numpadMinus twice quickly = Move system caret to current review position

This is tedious, but works.
There has been discussion in #4896 to try determine a satisfying easier process.

@ehollig
Copy link
Collaborator

ehollig commented Aug 9, 2017

Closing in favor of #4896. Discussion can continue there.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

2 participants