Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

on opening bookmarks dialog in MS Word, NVDA gives irrelevant message about the errors in word file in the bookmark name edit field. #3058

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Mar 7, 2013 · 8 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by sumandogra on 2013-03-07 11:47
Word 2010

On opening the bookmarks dialog a message is read by NVDA which seems irrelevant while in the bookmark name edit field. This irrelevant message speaks about the errors in the word file. This message should not be given by NVDA in this dialog in this edit field.
Steps to reproduce:
Open a work file.
Press ALT, N, K to open bookmarks dialog.
The focus is in the bookmarks name edit field.
NVDA reads out a message that talks about the errors in the word file. There are no errors in the word file. This message is irrelevant in this place.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

nvaccessAuto commented May 16, 2013

Attachment bug_fix_3058_error_in_bookmark_window.patch added by rameshwar.nagar on 2013-05-16 11:17
Description:
Update:
File added from Trac
bug_fix_3058_error_in_bookmark_window.patch.txt

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by rameshwar.nagar on 2013-05-16 11:20
NVDA not giving irrelevant message about the errors in word file in the bookmark name edit field. with this patch.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by mdcurran on 2014-12-03 08:16
Can we have a sighted person verify that this text is really not showing on the screen? if it is showing then we should speak it. Note that even Narrator reads this text as well. If we can be sure this is incorrect info then we should definitly fix it.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by jteh on 2015-02-20 07:15
Since no one has been able to have a sighted person verify this, I tried with OCR. OCR certainly can't see this text (though it can see the other labels) and I very much doubt a piece of text like this would be completely ignored.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 6 by mdcurran on 2015-03-18 03:28
code review:
The only match you are doing is on that specific string. Then you are removing the string. What about the case where that string may in fact be valid? This really needs to be limited somehow to the bookmarks dialog.

@bhavyashah
Copy link

@feerrenrut @Qchristensen Could you please be our sighted assistants for the diagnosis of this ticket as requested by @josephsl in #3058 (comment)?

@feerrenrut
Copy link
Contributor

I cant seem to reproduce the error text. Using Microsoft Word 2013 and NVDA master-14289,6c85ce59

Steps I took:

1. Create a blank word document
  2. Press alt+n, k causing the bookmarks window to open (from the insert panel)
  3. Create several paragraphs
  4. Open bookmarks window again.
  5. Added a bookmark (by typing in the edit field, then pressing alt+a)
  6. Open bookmarks window again.

NVDA did not report any errors with the word document.

@ehollig
Copy link
Collaborator

ehollig commented Aug 15, 2017

I performed the steps provided by @feerrenrut in #3058 (comment) in Word 2016 with no error text reported.
When taking a look at the patch provided, it appears the error is:
"Errors were detected in this file, but Word was able to open the file by making the repairs listed below. Save the file to make the repairs permanent."
Doing a quick Google search, it appears that this error appears in heavily formatted files that have overlapping images in a Word document. I am closing as worksforme, but if someone else is able to reproduce in Word 2010 or can provide a working example, we can reopen this.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

5 participants