Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Prevent reading of background live regions #3070

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Mar 9, 2013 · 10 comments
Closed

Prevent reading of background live regions #3070

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Mar 9, 2013 · 10 comments
Labels
bug close/duplicate p4 https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/blob/master/projectDocs/issues/triage.md#priority

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by jteh on 2013-03-09 22:06
Currently, NVDA reports off-screen live regions. This is because we want to report regions which have been placed off-screen so they are only read by screen readers. Unfortunately, content in background tabs is also marked off-screen. We can't tell the difference in an efficient, standard way. However, we definitely shouldn't be reading live regions in the background.

@nvaccessAuto nvaccessAuto added this to the near-term milestone Nov 10, 2015
@jcsteh jcsteh removed this from the near-term milestone Jun 24, 2016
@nvaccessAuto nvaccessAuto added the p4 https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/blob/master/projectDocs/issues/triage.md#priority label Jul 5, 2016
@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

@jcsteh, @michaelDCurran this is a very annoying issue I have since my company implemented a share point solution. Lots of websites have such live regions which are bein reported even when i switch to another window. A solution for this issue would be indeed very welcome. Thank you.

@jcsteh
Copy link
Contributor

jcsteh commented Nov 27, 2018

Lots of websites have such live regions which are bein reported even when i switch to another window.

Just to clarify, do you mean switch to another window or another tab? If you switch to another window, live regions in other windows shouldn't be reported even now. Live regions in background tabs in the same window will get reported, however. I confirmed this with the following test case:

data:text/html,<div id="live" aria-live="polite"></div><script>let count = 0; function update() { live.textContent = count++; setTimeout(update, 1000); } update();</script>

This updates a live region with a counter every second. If I switch tabs, I still hear it. If i switch windows, however, I do not.

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

Adriani90 commented Nov 27, 2018 via email

@jcsteh
Copy link
Contributor

jcsteh commented Nov 28, 2018 via email

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

@jcsteh, in Firefox I have this issue only for Background Tabs. In IE it occurs also when switching to other Windows.

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

@jcsteh, in issue #7743 I have found out that this issue might be related to the Java plugin. But this might be clear anyway because mostly dynamic Content on Websites is based on Java, at least this is my understanding.

@jcsteh
Copy link
Contributor

jcsteh commented Nov 28, 2018 via email

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

Yes, Java and Java script are two things I often cannot really distinguish, I have to digg into this deeper to understand how it really works. Do you think there is something which can be solved from NVDA's side? Or is this an issue which has to be solved on browser side first? Because the strange Thing is that NVDA reports that Content iven if Report dynamic Content is disabled in NVDA's Settings. So I guess this could be caused by some native behaviors in the browser itself.

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

Adriani90 commented May 28, 2019

@jcsteh should we close this in favor of #1318 and #7743? Those issues contain many examples and the discussion goes a bit further. #1318 covers firefox and #7743 is about different browsers but especially IE.

@jcsteh
Copy link
Contributor

jcsteh commented May 28, 2019

Closing in favour of #1318, yes. However, I'll adjust the title of #1318, since it's fairly confusing right now.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Labels
bug close/duplicate p4 https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/blob/master/projectDocs/issues/triage.md#priority
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

3 participants