Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Mention Vocalizer on the Supported synthesizers Section of the userguide. #3075

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Mar 11, 2013 · 8 comments
Closed

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by ragb on 2013-03-11 19:14
Proposed addition (after all supported synths):

++ Nuance Vocalizer for NVDA ++
Nuance Vocalizer is a commercial and high quality voice synthesizer developed by Nuance Communications, Inc., and packaged specifically for NVDA by Tiflotecnia, Lda.
It contains over 50 different voices you can install, speaking over 30 languages.
It is portable, allowing its usage within a portable copy of NVDA.
Each voice comes in five variants, from compact, small, lightweight and very useful to carry in slow USB devices; into Premium-High, offering very high quality speech quality, but needing hundreds of megabytes for storage.
Depending on the installed voices, Nuance Vocalizer for NVDA can take advantage of NVDA's automatic language switching functionality, changing voices when speaking text in different languages, given the documents are properly marked.

You can get more information about Nuance Vocalizer for NVDA, and how to buy it, on its web site at http://www.vocalizer-nvda.com.
A percentage of sales of this product is donated to NV Access, to fund further development of the NVDA Screen Reader.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2013-03-12 03:36
This is pretty controversial. It's essentially advertising, which is ideally something we'd rather avoid in the product itself. That said, anything that can help us continue to fund the project is probably worth making an exception for.

I think the content should be cut right down to the bare minimum; i.e. remove the sentences about variants and auto language switching. Also, it technically doesn't fit the "Supported Speech Synthesizers" section, since it isn't supported out of the box, but I don't want it having a section of its own. Mick, does this last point matter?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by ragb (in reply to comment 1) on 2013-03-12 09:18
Replying to jteh:

This is pretty controversial. It's essentially advertising, which is ideally something we'd rather avoid in the product itself.

Reading again the text (which most part was written by myself) I tend to agree that the wording is kind of advertising-like :).

That said, anything that can help us continue to fund the project is probably worth making an exception for.

I'd agree with this, but we (and specially me) can be more careful with the words, or tone (I don't know the right terminology in english but I hope you get the idea).

I think the content should be cut right down to the bare minimum; i.e. remove the sentences about variants and auto language switching. Also, it technically doesn't fit the "Supported Speech Synthesizers" section, since it isn't supported out of the box, but I don't want it having a section of its own.

I'd remove autolanguage switching and the variants. However, I'd suggest keeping the portability and possibly make clear that it is an add-on and not supported out-of-the-box. What do you think?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by jteh (in reply to comment 2) on 2013-03-12 09:23
Replying to ragb:

Reading again the text (which most part was written by myself) I tend to agree that the wording is kind of advertising-like :).

There's actually no reason other than advertising that we would include info about Vocalizer in the User Guide. We don't provide info about Svox Pico, Festival or any of the other voices (even the free ones) on the ExtraVoices page. However, as I said, we can probably make an exception given that this could raise us some funding.

I'd remove autolanguage switching and the variants. However, I'd suggest keeping the portability and possibly make clear that it is an add-on and not supported out-of-the-box.

Agreed. Still weird about being in the Supported Synths sedction, though, so awaiting Mick's thoughts on that.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by ondrosik on 2013-03-12 09:48
Just one point, if possible, we need some sentence about availability. For example in Slovakia it is not possible buy Voices dyrectly from local dealer, official reason is lov interest. So we need to mention it here.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by ruifontes (in reply to comment 4) on 2013-03-12 12:37
Hello.
The information are in www.vocalizer-nvda.com
In Slovakia you can buy from Opora, our newest distributtor.

Replying to ondrosik:

Just one point, if possible, we need some sentence about availability. For example in Slovakia it is not possible buy Voices dyrectly from local dealer, official reason is lov interest. So we need to mention it here.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 6 by ondrosik (in reply to comment 5) on 2013-03-12 12:57
Oops, sorry, I didn't know that, great news. OK, that is little OT for this ticket, but in general my previous suggestion still should be necessary for other countryes.

Replying to ruifontes:

Hello.

The information are in www.vocalizer-nvda.com

In Slovakia you can buy from Opora, our newest distributtor.

Replying to ondrosik:

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 7 by ragb (in reply to comment 3) on 2013-03-16 15:41
Replying to jteh:

Replying to ragb:

There's actually no reason other than advertising that we would include info about Vocalizer in the User Guide. We don't provide info about Svox Pico, Festival or any of the other voices (even the free ones) on the ExtraVoices page. However, as I said, we can probably make an exception given that this could raise us some funding.

I'd say that including entries for xvox picko and Festival (at least) would be good additions too. Honestly I don't see those very much different from say audiologic or SAPI4 (among others). You need to install extra components to use those, although the interface driver is included in NVDA. But this is arguable.

I'd remove autolanguage switching and the variants. However, I'd suggest keeping the portability and possibly make clear that it is an add-on and not supported out-of-the-box.

Agreed. Still weird about being in the Supported Synths sedction, though, so awaiting Mick's thoughts on that.

Here it is the revised text:

++ Nuance Vocalizer for NVDA ++
Nuance Vocalizer is a commercial and high quality voice synthesizer developed by Nuance Communications, Inc., and packaged specifically for NVDA by Tiflotecnia, Lda.
It contains over 50 different voices you can install, speaking over 30 languages.
All synthesizer components and voices are bundled in add-on packages, which allows for full usage in portable copies of NVDA.

You can get more information about Nuance Vocalizer for NVDA, and how to buy it, on its web site at http://www.vocalizer-nvda.com.
A percentage of sales of this product is donated to NV Access, to fund further development of the NVDA Screen Reader.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 8 by mdcurran on 2013-03-18 00:28
Vocalizer text added to user guide in 9f268bc.
Changes:
State: closed

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

1 participant