Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Handle the case where another AT has hooked touch in a user friendly way #3094

Open
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Mar 19, 2013 · 5 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by LJWatson on 2013-03-19 11:17
Using a Microsoft Surface Pro. Touch gestures do notseem to work.

NVDA does not respond when placing a finger on the screen, when moving a finger across the screen, or when using gestures such as tap, double tap etc.

NVDA does not respond with any announcement to idicate the gesture has been successful, and subsequent ivestigation with the keyboard suggests that the gesture was not recognised itself.

For example: On the start screen with focus on the Mail app. NVDA does not announce the app when placing a finger on the screen. NVDA does not respond when either a left or right flick is used, and subsequent investigation with the keyboard indicates that focus has not moved to the next app either.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by LJWatson on 2013-03-19 12:51
Further investigation suggests this happens when Narrator is running when NVDA is started. When installing NVDA on a Surface Pro, it's likely that Narrator will be running.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by pitermach on 2013-03-19 16:39
Narrator has implemented a very nice way to solve these conflicts. If you quit narrator, then start NVDA, check if touch gestures work. If the do, run narrator. It detects that another assistive software is using the touch screen and will tell you to quit it, and either restart narrator, or if you have a keyboard to press caps+f11 to reinitialize narrator's touch input. There's no reason NVDA can't do this and it might be a good idea.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by jteh on 2013-03-19 22:35
It's generally never ideal to have two screen raeders running at once. Certainly, touch can only be hooked by one screen reader at a time. I guess we could try to the warn the user. I don't see much point in implementing a key to re-initialise it, though, as users who have Narrator running when NVDA starts may very well not have a keyboard.

One option might be to have NVDA automatically or semi-automatically exit Narrator. I'm not a big fan of this kind of intrusion, but this is an exceptional case.
Changes:
Changed title from "Touch gestures unresponsive" to "Handle the case where another AT has hooked touch in a user friendly way"

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

@LJWatson is this still an issue for you?
@jcsteh, @michaelDCurran in case this is still reproducible maybe there should be a global touch gesture for exiting Narator and a global touch gesture for starting NVDA.

@LJWatson
Copy link

@Adriani90 I'm sorry, I don't know. I no longer have my Surface device.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

4 participants