Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

restart with addons dissabled feature. #3127

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Apr 4, 2013 · 4 comments
Closed

restart with addons dissabled feature. #3127

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Apr 4, 2013 · 4 comments
Assignees
Labels
Addon/management In NVDA management of addons by users. close/duplicate enhancement

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by driemer.riemer@... on 2013-04-04 15:00
This feature would be nice if some evil minded person who happened to write an addon for NVDA as a virus such as one that made nvda refuse to shut down or sneak into the system and dynamically steel data that is spoken. As far as I know this type of evil addon hasn't ever been seen with NVDA yet (I hope it never is) but I wrote and tested an addon on my coppy of nvda with a portible copy of nvda ready so I could undo the addon that I wrote which caused nvda to ignore the nvda+q gesture. This proved that someone could make nvda override gestures in windows such as tab with shift tab. A command such as reload with plugins disabled with a gesture that is not over ride-able would be great if this type of nvda virus that I experimented with was ever spoofed as a legit addon on an unofficial addon's page.
Blocked by #4057

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2013-04-24 04:03
If this ever happened, a gesture that can't be overridden is not sufficient. Since an add-on module runs within NVDA itself and is not isolated, the add-on could use many other undocumented techniques to intercept the gesture.

The only workable approach here is to have a safe mode which can be enabled when starting NVDA. This could be done via a command line option.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by Ahiiron on 2013-04-24 05:42
I like the commandline switch/safe mode idea. No use overcomplicating something that doesn't need to be. :)

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by driemer.riemer@... on 2013-04-24 13:19
Yes I like this idea. That way someone who has this happen would be able to restart in this way.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by zahari_bgr on 2015-03-04 04:22
Closing as duplicate of #4057

Changes:
Added labels: duplicate
State: closed

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Labels
Addon/management In NVDA management of addons by users. close/duplicate enhancement
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

2 participants