Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

NVDA doesn't read the description text in the "Options for managing of volume control" dialog of Windows 7 #3149

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Apr 12, 2013 · 7 comments
Labels

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by k_kolev1985 on 2013-04-12 15:31
In Windows 7, when you invoke the context menu (right-click with the mouse) for the "Volume control" icon in the system tray, there are several options in there. The last of them is something like "Options for managing volume control" (translated from bulgarian - I don't know how it is called in english). When you press Enter on that option, a dialog appears. NVDA doesn't read the text witch is located in the upper portion of that dialog.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Press WindowsKey+B to go to the system tray.
  2. Go to the icon for volume control (usually labeled with the friendly name of the current audio device).
  3. Press the "applications" key (or Shift+F10) to invoke the context menu.
  4. Select the option "Options for managing volume control" and press Enter on it. The "Options for managing volume control" dialog appears.
  5. Press NVDA+B to read the whole dialog. Alternatively, point the mouse cursor over the top portion of that dialog (with "mouse tracking" turned on).
    Expected result: NVDA should read a textual description for what is this dialog.
    Actual result: There is a text in that upper portion of the dialog, witch NVDA doesn't read.
    Actually, when I point the mouse cursor over that "invisible" text, NVDA doesn't say even "unknown" - as if that is not real text, but a graphic of some sort. But I know that is text, because with the "Virtual revision" addon I can get to that text and read it.
@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jscholes on 2013-04-12 15:50
When I open the Volume Control Options dialog, NVDA reads the following text:
Select which devices show their own volume control
The default sound device will always show its own volume control.
Is this the text to which you are referring?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by k_kolev1985 on 2013-04-12 17:18
Yes, that is the exact text that I'm seeing, but NVDA doesn't read. But in my case it is in bulgarian. Could it be that the bulgarian Windows translation team has damaged something for the correct text exposure while translating those strings in that dialog (?).

I use Ultimate version of Windows 7 32-bit (SP1) and I guess that I could switch to english and see if the problem goes away that way. But even if it does, the problem with the bulgarian locale version will remain.

@bhavyashah
Copy link

Since the English locale of Windows works properly with NVDA as reported in #3149 (comment), it seems possible that this is a problem in the Bulgarian Windows locale itself, something NVDA might have little control over. Triaging thoughts? @jcsteh

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

@derekriemer, @josephsl your thoughts are very appreciated here. I can still reproduce it in Windows 10 1809 Update.

@josephsl
Copy link
Collaborator

josephsl commented Dec 6, 2018

Hi,

I cannot reproduce this on Windows 7 English VM I have. Also, I see no volume mixer options dialog as noted in Windows 10 Version 1809 or other earlier release VM's I work with.

Please try with NVDA 2018.4/2019.1 alpha and see if that makes any difference.

Thanks.

@k-kolev1985
Copy link

I'm the reporter of this bug.

I've done some more testing now and here are my results.

1. The bug occurs under Windows 7 if the standard "Windows 7" theme is used, but not if the "high-contrast black" theme is used, for example. Apparently the problem has something to do with how that problematic text is rendered, because it seams to be rendered differently (at least with different fonts) depending on the theme being used.
  2. Also, the bug may be locale dependent as well, since according to previous comments, does not happen with english locale.
  3. Under Windows 8.1, the bug occurs no matter if the standard or the high-contrast black Windows theme is being used, probably because under Windows 8 and newer, the text is rendered the same newer way in both standard and high-contrast Windows themes. Under Windows 7, the high-contrast themes are rendered with the older "classic" view of Windows, including with different fonts.
  4. Under Windows 10 (version 1809), I can no longer see the option for managing volume control in that context menu. I think it has been removed altogether or redesigned and moved to a different place in Windows.

Based on all said above and in previous comments, I think it is time to close this issue, since I doubt that the NVDA developers can do something about it. And considering that Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 are no longer actively developed, I also doubt that the Windows developers will do something about it.

@ehollig
Copy link
Collaborator

ehollig commented Dec 7, 2018

@k-kolev1985 thank you for your comment in #3149 (comment). I am going to close this issue for reasons pointed out above.

@ehollig ehollig closed this as completed Dec 7, 2018
Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Labels
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

6 participants