Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

NVDA doesn't read the "Windows protection" dialogs #3150

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Apr 12, 2013 · 10 comments
Closed

NVDA doesn't read the "Windows protection" dialogs #3150

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Apr 12, 2013 · 10 comments
Labels

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by k_kolev1985 on 2013-04-12 15:55
When installing an application witch installs drivers (e.g. VirtualBox with default installation parameters), a dialog may appear asking you if you want to install drivers from unknown/untrusted developer. NVDA doesn't read the content of that dialog (neither automatically, nor by request with NVDA+B) - only it's title, witch I think in english is "Windows protection" or "Windows security". There are a few focusable controls in that dialog (I think a check-box, 2 buttons, and a link), but when moving around with TAB between them, NVDA doesn't read their labels as well - it stays silent.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2013-04-13 00:14
Are you running an installed official build of NVDA? These dialogs would be running as administrator. I've definitely been able to interact with these dialogs (in fact, with the !VirtualBox installer as well). (They do have a habit of appearing behind the installer, so you have to alt+tab to them, but this isn't anything to do with NVDA.)

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by k_kolev1985 on 2013-04-13 07:28
Well, I'm running an installed copy of NVDA, but it is a snapshot and not the official stable release. I have the stable release as well, but it is a portable copy and not an installed one. Does that matter?

I can see the dialog appear on the screen in front of the VirtualBox installer and I can move the system focus in it, but NVDA does not speak anything.

@ehollig
Copy link
Collaborator

ehollig commented Aug 9, 2017

@k_kolev1985, do you have more information about this issue that you could share so that I, and others can replicate it? Also, an error log demonstrating the issue also may be useful.

@k-kolev1985
Copy link

Actually, not much really. I haven't encountered such a dialog in a long time and I've stopped using VirtualBox a long time ago. But I was able to reproduce the issue again recently, while installing ViewScan from https://www.hamrick.com. It installs a scanner driver and the same security prompt appears. If I remember correctly, I had to restart NVDA to make it read that dialog prompt. The only specific setting to my system that I can think of is that I'm using the "High-Contrast Black" theme in Windows, but would that matter (?) - I don't know.

@lukaszgo1
Copy link
Contributor

I am able to interact with these dialogs both on Windows 7 and on Windows 10. @k-kolev1985 Are you still having this issue? If not i vote to close it.

@k-kolev1985
Copy link

@lukaszgo1 Try it with high-contrast enabled in Windows and see if you'll have the same results. I may try it with high-contrast disabled these days if I get a chance and see if that makes any difference for me.

@lukaszgo1
Copy link
Contributor

@k-kolev1985 I've tried with high-contrast enabled on Windows 10 1903 and Virtual Box installer and these dialog are accessible for me - they even automatically gained focus.

@k-kolev1985
Copy link

Since I hadn't the chance to test this again (I didn't came across such dialogs) and I don't have NVDA logs with reproducing the issue, we might as well close the ticket/issue and reopen it if I can someday reproduce the issue and provide some NVDA logs for it.

@bdorer
Copy link
Sponsor

bdorer commented Dec 2, 2019 via email

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

It might also depend on which level you have set on UAC. Or if you have the right privileges on the system.
Anyway, it seems we do not have real chances to reproduce this issue and it is really difficult to investigate further. If you still see this issue and it is not solved after starting NVDA as administrator or after changing UAC level, please comment on it and we can reopen.
Try also running the COM registration fixing tool.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Labels
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

6 participants