Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Braillesense u2: a lot of shortcuts don't work #3157

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Apr 16, 2013 · 16 comments · Fixed by #7712
Closed

Braillesense u2: a lot of shortcuts don't work #3157

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Apr 16, 2013 · 16 comments · Fixed by #7712
Labels
bug component/braille p3 https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/blob/master/projectDocs/issues/triage.md#priority
Milestone

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by PZajda on 2013-04-16 10:05
Braille input work, but I have all these shortcut keys, and none of them work for me.

Example, F2, F3 et F4 (those around the space bar called Advance 2, Advance 3 and Advance 4).
Advance 2 should emulate Alt, Advance  3 Tab and Advance  4 Escape.

Combinated shortcuts don't work too:

• Space + Advance 3
  • Space+dot1+dot8
  • Space+Dot1+Dot4+Dot8
  • Space+Dot1+Dot2+Dot3+Dot6+Dot8
  • Space+Dot1+Dot3+Dot4+Dot6+Dot8

I cannot test anymore by myself, but a French vendor reported me these problem.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2013-04-16 10:33
Are you saying these are documented in the NVDA User Guide but don't work? If not, where are you getting these bindings from?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by PZajda on 2013-04-16 10:52
These shortcuts are those the vendor given me.

But I tried all documented shortcuts when I had a braille sense via bluetooth, and I wasn't able to do anything else than read what NVDA displayed and exiting the Screen reader mode of the braillesense.

I am under Windows XP, but I am not sure if this is specific to windows XP.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by nvdakor on 2013-04-16 11:21
Hi,
A number of Korean users are reporting this issue as well. Their issue is more towards dot combo commands, such as space with 456. Thanks.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by jteh on 2013-04-16 11:45
The only commands that will work with the Braille Sense and NVDA are documented in the NVDA User Guide under the "HIMS Braille Sense/Braille EDGE Series" section. If one of these commands doesn't work, please provide specific information. If you want another command, this is a feature request and you will also need to provide specific information.

@cskchao
Copy link

cskchao commented Feb 6, 2016

It appears that much (if not all ) commands work when NVDA starts. However, functionality becomes lost along the way when using the device normally. One trigger I've been able to duplicate several times is with chorded commands. If one presses space + l and later space + dots 456, or the other way around, some commands involving dot 4 no longer work. Interestingly, this also seems to present itself in input help mode. Pressing space with dot 4 causes NVDA to announce the keys being pressed, but will no longer announce the description of what the command actually does.

@LeonarddeR
Copy link
Collaborator

LeonarddeR commented Jul 11, 2016

Interesting issue. I might be able to test this with a perkins in a short while.

@@cskchao: would you be able to test this new driver file? I'd be great if you could replace the dll in C:\Program Files (x86)\NVDA\brailleDisplayDrivers\hims with the dll in this zip file. Please let me know whether this fixes your issues or improves anything.
Note that this will be replaced again when you update NVDA. You could also test this in a portable copy.

@michaelDCurran: Could you include this new dll into miscdeps in order to have it tested more widely? Thanks in advance!

@LeonarddeR
Copy link
Collaborator

I've tried these issues and was unable to reproduce any of them. Would anyone owning a Braille Sense mind to post a str? Furthermore, I'd appreciate it if you guys could try key combinations in keyboard help and see whether all the keys are detected properly.

@cskchao
Copy link

cskchao commented Jul 12, 2016

I replaced the dll in my portable copy and have been using the Braille Sense connected via USB. I'm still experiencing the issues previously mentioned here. For example, entering input help and pressing space with dot 4, the key combination is spoken, followed by "Emulates pressing downArrow on the system keyboard." After pressing space with dots 4-5-6, followed by space with dots 1-2-3, the descriptions for many commands containing space with dot 4 are no longer spoken. The one exception I can find is space with dots 4-5-6 which appears to behave normally. Even in this multi line edit field, space with dot 1 works as expected, but space with dot 4 simply interrupts speech and normal behavior is not restored until NVDA is restarted.
Log:
INFO - main (12:29:32):
Starting NVDA
INFO - core.main (12:29:32):
Config dir: E:\nvda\userConfig
NVDA version 2016.2.1
Using Windows version 6.1.7601 service pack 1 workstation
Using Python version 2.7.11 (v2.7.11:6d1b6a68f775, Dec 5 2015, 20:32:19) [MSC v.1500 32 bit (Intel)]
Using comtypes version 0.6.2
INFO - synthDrivers.espeak.SynthDriver.init (12:29:33):
Using eSpeak version 1.48.15 16.Apr.15
INFO - synthDriverHandler.setSynth (12:29:33):
Loaded synthDriver espeak
INFO - core.main (12:29:33):
Using wx version 3.0.2.0 msw (classic)
INFO - braille.initialize (12:29:33):
Using liblouis version 2.6.5
INFO - brailleDisplayDrivers.hims.BrailleDisplayDriver.init (12:29:35):
Braille Sense (4 scrolls mode) device found
INFO - braille.BrailleHandler.setDisplayByName (12:29:35):
Loaded braille display driver hims, current display has 32 cells.
INFO - brailleInput.initialize (12:29:35):
Braille input initialized
INFO - core.main (12:29:36):
NVDA initialized
INFO - inputCore.InputManager._handleInputHelp (12:30:29):
Input help: gesture br(hims):space+dot4, bound to script kb:downArrow
INFO - inputCore.InputManager._handleInputHelp (12:30:31):
Input help: gesture kb(desktop):NVDA
INFO - inputCore.InputManager._handleInputHelp (12:30:31):
Input help: gesture kb(desktop):NVDA+1, bound to script toggleInputHelp on globalCommands.GlobalCommands
INFO - inputCore.InputManager._handleInputHelp (12:31:10):
Input help: gesture br(hims):dot1+space, bound to script kb:upArrow
INFO - inputCore.InputManager._handleInputHelp (12:31:12):
INFO - inputCore.InputManager._handleInputHelp (12:31:16):
Input help: gesture br(hims):space+dot6+dot5+dot4, bound to script kb:control+end
INFO - inputCore.InputManager._handleInputHelp (12:31:18):
Input help: gesture br(hims):dot3+dot2+dot1+space, bound to script kb:control+home
INFO - inputCore.InputManager._handleInputHelp (12:31:21):
Input help: gesture br(hims):dot4+space
INFO - inputCore.InputManager._handleInputHelp (12:31:23):
Input help: gesture br(hims):dot1+space, bound to script kb:upArrow
INFO - inputCore.InputManager._handleInputHelp (12:31:26):
Input help: gesture kb(desktop):NVDA
INFO - inputCore.InputManager._handleInputHelp (12:31:26):
Input help: gesture kb(desktop):NVDA+1, bound to script toggleInputHelp on globalCommands.GlobalCommands

@LeonarddeR
Copy link
Collaborator

It seems to have to do with the order in which the keys are detected.
Since only NVDA seems to fail, it either is a problem in the dll or in
NVDA itself.
Input help: gesture br(hims):dot4+space

@cskchao
Copy link

cskchao commented Jul 14, 2016

Indeed - this was the assumption under which I was also operating. To that end, is it worthwhile to test for this issue on other devices? I can perhaps see about borrowing a Braille Edge for a short time.

@LeonarddeR
Copy link
Collaborator

I have a Braille Edge at the @BabbageCom office, so I might be able to test this in a while. I will also see whether I can poke Hims about this issue.

@LeonarddeR
Copy link
Collaborator

Comfirmed for the Braille Edge as well.

@jcsteh
Copy link
Contributor

jcsteh commented Mar 8, 2017

After some investigation, I determined that the issue with keys behaving differently depending on the order in which they are detected is caused by a new core issue I just filed: #6945.

@jcsteh jcsteh added the p3 https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/blob/master/projectDocs/issues/triage.md#priority label Mar 10, 2017
@jcsteh
Copy link
Contributor

jcsteh commented Mar 10, 2017

P2 because this causes intermittent failure of braille commands for users of HIMS displays.

@jcsteh
Copy link
Contributor

jcsteh commented Mar 15, 2017

I've hopefully fixed the space+dot4 issue. The fix is currently available in NVDA "next" snapshots. It'd be great if someone experiencing this could confirm whether the fix works. Thanks.

@LeonarddeR
Copy link
Collaborator

@cskchao: Could you confirm whether this works now, so we can close this issue?

@jcsteh jcsteh removed their assignment Sep 5, 2017
@nvaccessAuto nvaccessAuto added this to the 2018.1 milestone Dec 8, 2017
Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Labels
bug component/braille p3 https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/blob/master/projectDocs/issues/triage.md#priority
Projects
None yet
Development

Successfully merging a pull request may close this issue.

4 participants