Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

NVDA not indicating selection in TED Notepad #3178

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Apr 20, 2013 · 11 comments
Closed

NVDA not indicating selection in TED Notepad #3178

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Apr 20, 2013 · 11 comments
Assignees
Labels
Abandoned requested reports or updates are missing since more than 1 year, author or users are not available. bug component/display-model

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by camlorn on 2013-04-20 23:57
I've been looking for a Programmers' editor for a bit now, and got a recommendation from another NVDA user for an editor called TED Notepad. All appeared to be fine. Then I selected some text. Nothing from NVDA. I asked NVDA for selection and it reported none. Using my remaining vision, i was able to verify that the text is in fact selected, and NVDA is picking up the color change for selected text. It's just not picking up the selection.
The interesting thing is that me and the person who recommended this to me are both on the latest developer snapshot as of this writing and the same OS--windows 7 64-bit--and selecting is working fine for him in the same editor. NVDA picks it up as normal.
I've seen similar behavior in other editors: everything works fine except for selection, which NVDA refuses to indicate. I assumed that this was the editor not exposing the information. now, I'm not so sure and am leaning towards a possible bug in NVDA or oddity of my configuration. Obviously this is problematic, as it's limiting my choice of available editors. Between this and #885, I am quickly running out of options for good text editors that work fully with NVDA.
version: master-9133,0557983 as of this writing.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2013-04-21 01:10
What type of edit control does this editor use? It sounds like it's resorting to display model, which has never supported selection tracking. However, this doesn't make sense if you know someone else who is using it just fine. NVDA+f1 output from both you and this other NVDA user would be helpful.

For what it's worth, I use Notepad++, but I don't have line wrapping enabled (and don't need it).

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by briang1 on 2013-04-21 09:26

I've been playing with this editor as well in XP and I cannot get it to say selected either.

Developer info for navigator object:
name: None
role: ROLE_EDITABLETEXT
states: STATE_FOCUSABLE, STATE_FOCUSED
isFocusable: True
hasFocus: True
Python object: <NVDAObjects.Dynamic_IAccessibleDisplayModelEditableTextWindowNVDAObject object at 0x03F64BD0>
Python class mro: (<class 'NVDAObjects.Dynamic_IAccessibleDisplayModelEditableTextWindowNVDAObject'>, <class 'NVDAObjects.IAccessible.IAccessible'>, <class 'NVDAObjects.window.DisplayModelEditableText'>, <class 'NVDAObjects.behaviors.EditableText'>, <class 'editableText.EditableText'>, <class 'NVDAObjects.window.Window'>, <class 'NVDAObjects.NVDAObject'>, <class 'baseObject.ScriptableObject'>, <class 'baseObject.AutoPropertyObject'>, <type 'object'>)
description: None
value: u'This is a test only\r\nnothing\r\n'
appModule: <'appModuleHandler' (appName u'tednpad', process ID 2304) at address 1d61890>
TextInfo: <class 'displayModel.EditableTextDisplayModelTextInfo'>
windowHandle: 1442484
windowClassName: u'TedEditW'
windowControlID: 1020
windowStyle: 1377828864
windowThreadID: 1464
windowText: u'This is a test only\r\nnothing\r\n'
displayText: u'\x00This is a test only \n\x00nothing\n\n'
IAccessibleObject: <POINTER(IAccessible) ptr=0x1e5ee0 at 1e08850>
IAccessibleChildID: 0
IAccessible event parameters: windowHandle=1442484, objectID=-4, childID=0
IAccessible accName: None
IAccessible accRole: ROLE_SYSTEM_TEXT
IAccessible accState: STATE_SYSTEM_FOCUSED, STATE_SYSTEM_FOCUSABLE, STATE_SYSTEM_VALID (1048580)
IAccessible accDescription: None
IAccessible accValue: u'This is a test only\r\nnothing\r\n'

When you do a select all and then use nvda/F you get no formatting information.
Otherwise you get
IO - speech.speak (10:18:14):
Speaking ('en_UK'), u'Courier New 7pt black on white'

When you are selecting text there is no speech as if it cannot read the text under the cursor.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by jteh on 2013-04-21 10:05
This is definitely using display hooks, so reporting of selection won't work. The question is why it is different for the one user for whom it works. The only thing i can think is that it uses UIA, but the reporter is using Windows 7, so UIA should work fine.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by briang1 on 2013-04-21 10:55
Might be worth both looking at the version number of it. Mine is dated 2011, which I understood to be the latest version of the portable archive, but I see an installer on their site as well as a list of various files and versions which I nver investigated.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by camlorn on 2013-04-21 17:25
I'll try to get it from him, but I'm on the latest version (the 2011 one). Here's my nvda+f1 output. I'm going to assume that it probably is just display model, from the looks of things. I'm not going to advocate writing a module for this specific editor or anything, and probably wouldn't have bothered opening this ticket except that a whole bunch of editors do this. I'll try to get his NVDA+F1 output, if I can; I don't know him well (someone from Alter Aeon, basically, on a public channel).
Time, perhaps, to open a ticket about getting display model to support selection. it'd probably improve a lot of things.

Developer info for navigator object:
name: None
role: ROLE_EDITABLETEXT
states: STATE_FOCUSABLE, STATE_FOCUSED
isFocusable: True
hasFocus: True
Python object: <NVDAObjects.Dynamic_IAccessibleDisplayModelEditableTextWindowNVDAObject object at 0x065DB590>
Python class mro: (<class 'NVDAObjects.Dynamic_IAccessibleDisplayModelEditableTextWindowNVDAObject'>, <class 'NVDAObjects.IAccessible.IAccessible'>, <class 'NVDAObjects.window.DisplayModelEditableText'>, <class 'NVDAObjects.behaviors.EditableText'>, <class 'editableText.EditableText'>, <class 'NVDAObjects.window.Window'>, <class 'NVDAObjects.NVDAObject'>, <class 'baseObject.ScriptableObject'>, <class 'baseObject.AutoPropertyObject'>, <type 'object'>)
description: None
value: u''
appModule: <'appModuleHandler' (appName u'tednpad', process ID 3144) at address 65dbf90>
TextInfo: <class 'displayModel.EditableTextDisplayModelTextInfo'>
windowHandle: 459638
windowClassName: u'TedEditW'
windowControlID: 1020
windowStyle: 1377828864
windowThreadID: 5768
windowText: u''
displayText: ''
IAccessibleObject: <POINTER(IAccessible) ptr=0x5d0808 at 63e9710>
IAccessibleChildID: 0
IAccessible event parameters: windowHandle=459638, objectID=-4, childID=0
IAccessible accName: None
IAccessible accRole: ROLE_SYSTEM_TEXT
IAccessible accState: STATE_SYSTEM_FOCUSED, STATE_SYSTEM_FOCUSABLE, STATE_SYSTEM_VALID (1048580)
IAccessible accDescription: None
IAccessible accValue: u''

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 6 by jteh (in reply to comment 5) on 2013-04-21 23:13
Replying to camlorn:

I'm not going to advocate writing a module for this specific editor or anything

We couldn't anyway unless the editor supports its own API to retrieve information related to editable text.

and probably wouldn't have bothered opening this ticket except that a whole bunch of editors do this.

That's because they don't expose editable text information using IAccessible2 or UIA.

Time, perhaps, to open a ticket about getting display model to support selection.

That's #770. However, using display hooks for anything, particularly editable text fields, is always potentially inaccurate and unreliable. This applies for other screen readers as well. API based access is a far better way to go.

@bhavyashah
Copy link

@jcsteh Could you please clarify if your #3178 (comment) implies that this ticket should be closed as a cantfix and partial duplicate?

@jcsteh
Copy link
Contributor

jcsteh commented Aug 15, 2017

#770 is now fixed and should have in turn fixed this. However, given the inherent inconsistency/unreliability of display hooking, we can't be certain as to whether it actually fixes the problem for this particular editor without specific testing.

@Camlorn, is TED Notepad something you still care about or should we close this?

@jcsteh jcsteh changed the title NVDA not indicating selection in some types of editing controls NVDA not indicating selection in TED Notepad Aug 15, 2017
@bhavyashah
Copy link

This is a friendly reminder for @camlorn to please respond to @jcsteh's #3178 (comment).

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

@briang1, @brian1gaf, @camlorn is this issue still reproducible with last version of NVDA and last editor version?

@ehollig
Copy link
Collaborator

ehollig commented Sep 23, 2019

Closing, as we seem to have lost contact with the original author of this issue.

@ehollig ehollig closed this as completed Sep 23, 2019
@ehollig ehollig added the Abandoned requested reports or updates are missing since more than 1 year, author or users are not available. label Sep 23, 2019
Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Labels
Abandoned requested reports or updates are missing since more than 1 year, author or users are not available. bug component/display-model
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

6 participants