Reported by: jteh Owned by:
Priority: minor Milestone: near-term
Component: Speech synth drivers Version:
Keywords: Cc: aleksey_s
Operating system: Blocked by:
Blocking:
Changes document entry (for developers):

Description

#206 added the Newfon driver to NVDA. The decision was controversial even back then, as Newfon itself can't be bundled with NVDA even if we wanted to. Newfon requires users to install files into the NVDA program directory, which we have always advised against.

Now that the add-on framework exists, I think it makes far more sense for Newfon to be an add-on. Among other things, this will make it very easy to install.

Change History (4)

comment:1 Changed 19 months ago by jteh

I just found out Tyler Spivey converted this into an add-on a while ago: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1060978/newfon.nvda-addon?dl

comment:2 Changed 19 months ago by aleksey_s

I do not mind.

About community addons - users have been writing to me asking for support of different non-working versions of addons packaging newfon, so there should be a number of those. If we remove this from the core, it will hopefuly force me to release the official one.

comment:3 follow-up: Changed 19 months ago by jteh

While I have your attention :), I have a patch here which forces the encoding to cp1251, as Newfon requires this and the driver currently uses the system's default ANSI encoding. I think I mentioned this to you a while back, but I forget your response.

How would you like to proceed with this? Did you want help from us with finishing the add-on before we remove it?

comment:4 in reply to: ↑ 3 Changed 19 months ago by aleksey_s

Replying to jteh:

While I have your attention :), I have a patch here which forces the encoding to cp1251, as Newfon requires this and the driver currently uses the system's default ANSI encoding. I think I mentioned this to you a while back, but I forget your response.

Patch is welcome. It is one of things which I always knew should be fixed but didn't because they had not anoyed me directly :-)

How would you like to proceed with this? Did you want help from us with finishing the add-on before we remove it?

Yes. I'll be able to work on this in a week, after I finish my course paper.

Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.