Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Remove Newfon synth from NVDA #3184

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Apr 24, 2013 · 13 comments
Closed

Remove Newfon synth from NVDA #3184

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Apr 24, 2013 · 13 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by jteh on 2013-04-24 00:23
#206 added the Newfon driver to NVDA. The decision was controversial even back then, as Newfon itself can't be bundled with NVDA even if we wanted to. Newfon requires users to install files into the NVDA program directory, which we have always advised against.

Now that the add-on framework exists, I think it makes far more sense for Newfon to be an add-on. Among other things, this will make it very easy to install.
Blocking #4696

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2013-04-24 01:42
I just found out Tyler Spivey converted this into an add-on a while ago: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1060978/newfon.nvda-addon?dl

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by aleksey_s on 2013-04-24 06:09
I do not mind.

About community addons - users have been writing to me asking for support of different non-working versions of addons packaging newfon, so there should be a number of those. If we remove this from the core, it will hopefuly force me to release the official one.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by jteh on 2013-04-24 06:58
While I have your attention :), I have a patch here which forces the encoding to cp1251, as Newfon requires this and the driver currently uses the system's default ANSI encoding. I think I mentioned this to you a while back, but I forget your response.

How would you like to proceed with this? Did you want help from us with finishing the add-on before we remove it?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by aleksey_s (in reply to comment 3) on 2013-04-24 07:14
Replying to jteh:

While I have your attention :), I have a patch here which forces the encoding to cp1251, as Newfon requires this and the driver currently uses the system's default ANSI encoding. I think I mentioned this to you a while back, but I forget your response.

Patch is welcome. It is one of things which I always knew should be fixed but didn't because they had not anoyed me directly :-)

How would you like to proceed with this? Did you want help from us with finishing the add-on before we remove it?

Yes. I'll be able to work on this in a week, after I finish my course paper.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by nvdakor on 2014-12-18 16:08
Hi,
Isn't there a more recent ticket requesting the same thing? Someone said the Russian NVDA community site is down and asked that this synth be moved out of the core.
Thanks.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 7 by jteh on 2014-12-19 05:38
I think we should just go ahead and remove this. It's true that the add-on isn't currently easily available, but given that the Russian community site has been down for some time (see #4696), this isn't readily available now anyway. Ideally, we'd want to get the add-on included on addons.nvda-project.org, but for now, I guess we can at least update the ExtraVoices page.
Changes:
Changed title from "Remove Newfon synth from NVDA and make it an add-on" to "Remove Newfon synth from NVDA"

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 8 by jteh on 2014-12-19 06:33
On a related note, I've now removed the Russian community site from the [wiki:Connect] page and from nvda-community.org.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 9 by zstanecic on 2015-01-15 17:58
the addon works well, tyler's addon is 100 % working.
i can use it on any system on 1251cp.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 10 by James Teh <jamie@... on 2015-01-23 06:22
In [708d6ef]:

Support for the Newfon synthesizer has been removed. Newfon is now available as an NVDA add-on.

Fixes #3184.

Changes:
State: closed

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 11 by jteh on 2015-01-23 06:23
Changes:
Milestone changed from near-term to 2015.1

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 12 by bdorer on 2015-01-29 21:44
well, I don't know wheather some users are using this addon, but If s.o. reads the addon is publicly available s.o. should update wiki with the link. Ideally it should be released from addons community page as other people now they're downloading tested addons.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 13 by jteh on 2015-01-29 22:39
The ExtraVoices page has already been updated with the link.

I'd like to list it on addons.nvda-project.org, but the requirements for getting something listed there are currently far too stringent IMO. In short, neither Tyler nor NV Access want to (or can) maintain this add-on; it is just a service to the community. However, it being available and unmaintained is better than it not being available at all. This is something that Mesar, myself and others need to discuss further.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 14 by nvdakor on 2015-01-29 22:45
Hi,
Sent a proposal to have add-ons community site host the add-on version. Thanks.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

1 participant