Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

When editing powerpoint documents nvda incorrectly speaks previously entered but later deleted characters when the space bar is pressed. #3231

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue May 14, 2013 · 11 comments
Assignees
Labels
Milestone

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by driemer.riemer@... on 2013-05-14 02:29
This has happened to me in all places in powerpoint. When editing and I write something but mid-way through the word I erase a letter and continue to type nvda treates the deleted character as if it were still part of the word. Here is an example from my power point.

=example=

I am a good leam (press backspace on m) der (Now press space.) NVDA now says "leamder" rather than just "leader". This occasionally leads to confusion when editing powerpoint documents.
Blocking #3954

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Attachment nvda.log added by driemer.riemer@... on 2013-05-14 02:35
Description:
A log. Looks like there is some repeting lazysomethign comtypes warning but i don't know what it means.`

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by siddharth on 2014-01-07 11:30
I have created a patch for this issue. Now, deleted characters are deleted from the buffer and not taken as part of the word. Changes can be seen here:
https://bitbucket.org/manish_agrawal/nvda/branch/in_t3231#diff

Please review and accept.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by jteh on 2014-03-06 23:48
Oops. We seem to have missed this patch. Sorry! This looks fine unless there is another way to detect this.
Changes:
Milestone changed from None to next

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by driemer.riemer@... (in reply to comment 2) on 2014-03-08 09:32
Replying to jteh:

Oops. We seem to have missed this patch. Sorry! This looks fine unless there is another way to detect this.

I can still produce this behavior on my machine.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Open powerpoint.
  2. Go to any of the edit fields for a slide, and start typing.
  3. press backspace on a character.
  4. then type as if nothing happened.
  5. Press space.

expected behavior, nvda handles the deleted text as normal.
buggy behavior: Nvda reads the character in the word, as if you had typed it, so for example if I typed nvda, but accidentally typed nb and then deleted the b and replaced it with a v, nvda would say nbvda or that is n b v d a. If this is local to my machine than let me know.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by jteh on 2014-03-08 10:08
You're still seeing it because no fix was ever committed.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 7 by James Teh <jamie@... on 2014-04-14 04:47
In [5d8aa36]:

In Microsoft PowerPoint with speaking of typed words enabled, characters erased with backspace are no longer announced as part of the typed word.

The typedCharacter event isn't fired for backspace, so we have to fake it.
Re #3231.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 8 by James Teh <jamie@... on 2014-04-14 04:47
In [76f0cd6]:

Merge branch 't3231' into next

Incubates #3231.

Changes:
Added labels: incubating

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 9 by jteh on 2014-04-14 04:48
@siddharth: If you want to be included in the NVDA contributors document, can you please provide your full name? Thanks.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 10 by James Teh <jamie@... on 2014-04-29 06:26
In [c8b0e69]:

In Microsoft PowerPoint with speaking of typed words enabled, characters erased with backspace are no longer announced as part of the typed word.

The typedCharacter event isn't fired for backspace, so we have to fake it.
Fixes #3231.

Changes:
Removed labels: incubating
State: closed

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 11 by jteh on 2014-04-29 06:27
Changes:
Milestone changed from next to 2014.2

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 12 by siddharth (in reply to comment 9) on 2014-05-05 10:22
Replying to jteh:

@siddharth: If you want to be included in the NVDA contributors document, can you please provide your full name? Thanks.

'Siddharth' is my official full name. If, as per policy, last name is a mandatory field, please include 'Siddharth Siddharth' in the contributors document. Thanks.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Labels
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

2 participants